LotR Custom Picture Frame for Middle Earth Map

Ziga

Hey guys.

A few months ago I got a print of Adam S's Middle Earth map and decided it needed a kickass frame to sit in. So I made this thing.

Design is based on Moria pillars (I used the pictures of the cool models from lotrscenerybuilder.org as reference).

The frame is made of oak, the top and bottom lighter tabs are tilia. It's preshaded with woodstain, stained and matte clear-coated. I'm really happy about how the Fellowship turned out (took a lot of work too). For reference: Aragorn is about the size of my thumb. Ring verse is engraved and stained.

Dimensions: 144×88×16 cm, map is 100×70 cm, the mass of the frame is about 19 kilos (heavy).
The map is only slightly aged with tea and coffee.

Beautiful woodwork! Did you scrollsaw the fellowship silhouettes or have them laser cut?

Neither. I don't have a small scrollsaw and even if I did, the details are tiny. I used a big band saw for the roughest cut, a dremel for rough shape and then tiny files and sandpaper glued to wood sticks. No pew pew lazerz here.

Wow, that turned out really good! I like the details and the carving. I did a few frames for my LOTR movie posters. Here are a few pics.

DSCN3856.jpg

DSCN3867.jpg

Last edited:
Really beautiful work. Not just a decorative way to frame a map, but something you can imagine that elves or hobbits themselves might have built for the map as a memorial.

Wow, that turned out really good! I like the details and the carving. I did a few frames for my LOTR movie posters. Here are a few pics.

Sweet carving. What did you use to color the letters?

And thanks for the compliments.

Just to echo what the others have said, this is a beautiful way to frame Middle Earth. I love the geometric "Dwarvish" pillars on either side, and you have got a stunning finish on the timber, well done!

If I ever get lucky enough to pick up one of Indy's stunning ME maps, then I am totally going to copy your idea.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back