LOST Virgin Mary Statue

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by THEWRAPOFCONS, Jan 30, 2006.

1. THEWRAPOFCONS

THEWRAPOFCONS Well-Known Member

I am looking for a virgin mary statue like the one in Eko's plane, has anyone identified these yet? Can someone post screencaps? Looking to get one or make one if I can get some good refrence pics

2. Rick Hanson

Rick Hanson Sr Member

These are the best I could come up with right at the moment, but I'll go back through some episodes and see if there's anything better to be had. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. THEWRAPOFCONS

thank you very much

4. THEWRAPOFCONS

OK I found a supplier, if anyone is intrested I can do a run of these cmplete with stash inside :) Let me know what ya think.

Here is the statue I found.

[​IMG]

5. TheNuclearHorror

TheNuclearHorror New Member

Brown sugar, just like the show, right?
    Of course your could charge more if there was the other stash ;) :lol

6. THEWRAPOFCONS

You dont think I am getting $2500.00 a statue for brown sugar do ya :) jk

7. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Interesting. Would they come weathered. How would I know there was something inside? :)

8. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

Much as I'd love one...
    How in the hell are you planning to ship them?.?.

9. THEWRAPOFCONS

Yes they would come weathered.

10. THEWRAPOFCONS

I will cross that brige when I come to it, it may just be a case finding out the correct way to do it. I am sure its possible to do without incedent

11. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would think that shipping them with little baggies of sugar in side could mean a lot of them opened up and broken by customs officials if shipping out of country. I imagine sugar will look the same as other things on x-ray...lol

12. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Interested.

I figured these were a mass produced found item and was planning on doing some digging myself, but if the price is right, I'll let you do all the work :)

Although, I'd take mine clean and detail it myself.

Let us know what price you come up with.

Steve

13. THEWRAPOFCONS

So I guess the safest way to do it is to let the buyer do their own stash, I will be weathering this sucker and doing a repaint and we can see how they turn out

14. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

I'm in for 5 of them. But "empty" please ..I don't want to get arrested by the cops :D

15. dr_slurpee

How would one put their own stash inside anyway? I think it'd be cool to have two, one of them busted open with the "stash", the other not busted.

16. THEWRAPOFCONS

There is a Quarter sized hole in the bottom, or at least there will be :)

17. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

If you're interested in putting the stash inside, it would be simple enough to break open a hole in the bottom of the base, stick your baggies inside, plaser it up and smooth it back down.

18. THEWRAPOFCONS

The statues them selves will be made from plaster so you 100% correct :)

19. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

Whats the point of putting stash anyway?
    You'll either display it broken..with stach unleashed..or unbroken complete without showing the stash

20. THEWRAPOFCONS

"Stash Unleashed" did that star Jet Li and Tommy Chong?

21. THEWRAPOFCONS

I just got an e-mail from the maker, its is plaster and not ceramic and is 12 inches high. They will need a custom paint job and some weatrhering, but other than that I think its a perfect match.

22. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How much do you think these will cost?

23. THEWRAPOFCONS

not sure yet, thinking between 50-75, know way of knowing yet till I finish my first deall. I thougt about finishing one and putting it on Ebay and see what it sells for then do a 25% price drop and offer them as a run, but I would like to wait till I finish one before I start talking price.

24. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like a fun project.

I love that show.

25. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

would you sell them unfinished as well?

26. THEWRAPOFCONS

I cant think of a reason not to

27. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

I'm not all that interested in Lost props, but I love the show. Great find. Nice job tracking them down.

28. Krel Jedi

Krel Jedi Well-Known Member

Interested.

29. Boba Debt

Boba Debt Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would be interested in one with out the weathering, depending on the price.

30. Boba Debt

31. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I talked abou thtis with some folks on another forum. We had found that this particular statue is called "The Immaculate Heart" and it is a 12 inch statue mad of Italian Plaster.

I would say the best way to keep costs down is to find someone to buy one, mold it, and make less expensive plaster versions. Otherwise you are stuck shelling out $39.50 for just one at catholicfreeshipping.com.

They are going to need a repaint anyway, so might as well jsut make a mold of one, and make thinner regular plaster versions. During the molding process you can make the base anyway you want so that it is removable. There is supposedly some way to make them out of a sort of chalk for even less materials cost.

I'd leave the "stash" up to the buyer like you said. Safer that way.

EDIT: forgot to mention that some people were speculating that the statues in LOST were only 8" or 10" tall. I disagree completely. Anyway you can get the 8" version like the pic below for $17.95 at Chapel Gifts.

Now the one sold by chpel gifts appears to look a little more like the one on the show, but 8" is IMHO just too darn short.

[​IMG]

32. Boba Debt

Why is there so much consern about repainting these.

I seriously doubt they repainted them for the show, and since they are plaster/chalk it should be very easy to weather them, just rub them down with dirt.

Personally I think it would be cool if someone just ordered a case and sold them at cost so each person could weather them as they saw fit.

33. dr_slurpee

Cheaper is always a good thing. ;)

34. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think they were repainted for the show. makes more sense for them to buy one or two, have their prop shop mold aand make more. Would be $1000's cheaper that way. Good chance some of the ones lying about on the ground are rubbger versions and only the ones shown broken were plaster.

35. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've seen the 8" or one similar in a couple of Mexican grocery stores.
    Immaculate heart statue is very familiar to any good Catholic boy. I'm not one but grew up in a neighborhood full of 'em.

I'm with Boba Debt. I doubt seriously that they had the prop dept recast these. At estimated $30 a unit it would be easier and much less labor intensive just to order them in and scuff them up. I think the screen shots above make it pretty apparent that these are 12 inchers and the scuffing is anything but exact on each piece.

36. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Both versions of this particular mold sold online are painted with extra shading and gold leafing. As shown on the show the same mold is painted in more solid tones and has NO gold leafing.

I'd say the chances are pretty good that it was in fact molded for the show and both stunt and hero castings were made.

-Gary

37. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I just noticed the gold leaf.

38. gavidoc

gavidoc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be suprised if there are more then one version using the same statue mold.

It's possible that the manufacturer offers one without gold leafing.

Could have been cheaper and makes sense for the show to buy the cheapest one. You gotta find the manufacturer, not a supplier.

39. Boba Debt

I don't think a second generation casting of a plaster statue would retain much detail, such as the eyebrows and nose and there would be shrinkage

I'm hot on the trail :)

40. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I'd say it's a 12" casting. Details are very weak, particularly around the heart. The paint is very monotone and lacking any shading, highlights or details.

We could probably just get one and do slush casts in either resin or plaster. It'll be cheap and hollow. Sell them unpainted and let people finish them themselves.

-Fred

41. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

I'm led to believe, by the storyline, that the statues were supposedly made by the lady selling them on that table in front of the church, or by someone else affiliated with the church. If that's the case, how much detail would these people be able to make the statues with, especially in mass quantities? It's a 3rd world country and they're selling them to get the highest return on their investment (less money spent on materials = more statues that can be made) so that they can buy more Polio vaccine.

Knowing that, I'd say they're 2nd generation castings so that they appear to be made locally and have a "home made" feel to them, and besides, I doubt the show would've sprung for several hundred statues at $40 each, especially for such a minor item (though one seen frequently)...

Just my take on it.

Finding a manufacturer would be nice. :thumbsup

42. gavidoc

gavidoc Well-Known Member

That's why they would have gone with the manufacturer and not a supplier. You work a deal with the manufacturer for a custom build that wouldn't be available with a supplier.

43. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member