Lost In Space - Dick Tufeld Dead?

rocketeer25

Sr Member
Has anyone seen news of this? I saw something on FB that Dick Tufeld had died. As the voice of the B9 Robot, he was a big part of my childhood...

Although it was far better to ask Mr. Tufeld to record some custom lines for you, the B9 Club developed a piece of software that uses clips that are strung together by the computer into sentences and allow a pretty good interactive experience with the Robot, with someone sitting behind the scenes running the computer.

Another set of GPS voices gone because the dunderheads running the GPS companies are out of touch with the rest of us. No, no B-9, here's a set of Gilbert Gottfried for you.

He did have throat cancer a few years ago, he recovered but there was damage and he said they had to "freeze" one of his vocal cords. He could still do the Robot and VERY VERY kindly still was doing phrases for the club. But he did retire from voice work. Also the Robot "voice" was processed a little bit. So the raw voice wasn't quite what you were used to.

He was a great and kind man, I met him a few times through all the Robot stuff I did.

Although Bob May certainly did the heavy lifting (literally) in the Robot suit. The voice brought him to life for me.

RIP

Dick Tufeld has passed.

The original and only voice of Lost In Space's B9 robot, Dick Tufeld, died yesterday at age 85.

The announcement appeared on Billy Mumy's Facebook page.

Someone JediFyfe me over in OT; I just posted there.

I had hoped to get some custom phrases, but I guess it's just not to be.

Ironically, I had just sent an inquiry to a company that does custom TTS voices with the idea that maybe Dick would be interested in one more recording. Alas, a day late (and about $80 K short!).

I never met the man, but I will miss him!

Sad new indeed. Mr Tufeld was kind enough to do a few custom voices for me through the B9 club, and they will be treasured. Condolences to his family and friends, and my heartfelt thanks for making the original B9 my childhood hero.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back