Lost In Space - Dick Tufeld Dead?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by rocketeer25, Jan 23, 2012.

1. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Has anyone seen news of this? I saw something on FB that Dick Tufeld had died. As the voice of the B9 Robot, he was a big part of my childhood...

2. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like the bubble headed booby will be silent now.....:(

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Although it was far better to ask Mr. Tufeld to record some custom lines for you, the B9 Club developed a piece of software that uses clips that are strung together by the computer into sentences and allow a pretty good interactive experience with the Robot, with someone sitting behind the scenes running the computer.

5. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

I was thinking the same thing! :unsure

6. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Another set of GPS voices gone because the dunderheads running the GPS companies are out of touch with the rest of us. No, no B-9, here's a set of Gilbert Gottfried for you.

7. terryr

terryr Sr Member

I heard he had throat cancer years ago, and couldn't talk anymore.

8. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

He did have throat cancer a few years ago, he recovered but there was damage and he said they had to "freeze" one of his vocal cords. He could still do the Robot and VERY VERY kindly still was doing phrases for the club. But he did retire from voice work. Also the Robot "voice" was processed a little bit. So the raw voice wasn't quite what you were used to.

He was a great and kind man, I met him a few times through all the Robot stuff I did.

Although Bob May certainly did the heavy lifting (literally) in the Robot suit. The voice brought him to life for me.

RIP

9. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Dick Tufeld has passed.

The original and only voice of Lost In Space's B9 robot, Dick Tufeld, died yesterday at age 85.

The announcement appeared on Billy Mumy's Facebook page.

10. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

Someone JediFyfe me over in OT; I just posted there.

I had hoped to get some custom phrases, but I guess it's just not to be.

Ironically, I had just sent an inquiry to a company that does custom TTS voices with the idea that maybe Dick would be interested in one more recording. Alas, a day late (and about $80 K short!).

I never met the man, but I will miss him!

11. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

12. Garthok

Garthok Sr Member

Sad new indeed. Mr Tufeld was kind enough to do a few custom voices for me through the B9 club, and they will be treasured. Condolences to his family and friends, and my heartfelt thanks for making the original B9 my childhood hero.

13. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

Very sad news. I wonder what it was? He seemed to be struggling with something for a while.

14. Tobor the great

Tobor the great Member

Very sad to hear the news about Dick Tufeld. I think Bob May has gone too . RIP

15. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Better late than never, and yes Bob is gone too