Looper Gold Bars

Shonuff

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So in the midst of some other ongoing projects, I decided to start another one because I suck at time management. I haven't seen many if any Looper Gold Bars out there, just the silver ones so far. I'm making a couple rounds of them (8 bars per round) at 2 different sizes. My first set are going to be the size of what I have estimated the prop to be, and the second will be at standard 1 KG gold bar dimensions which are somewhat smaller.

I'm making these out of 385 Brass and in the end will have them gold plated.

Here's the progress so far:

Step_1.jpg

Quick wooden mockup to dial in the sizes, corner radii, and bar code.

Step_2.jpg

Brass Bar stock to cut out the first pieces

Step_3.jpg

Template and dyed stock pieces for marking final dimensions and corner radii

Step_4.jpg

Bars sanded down and contoured. Looks like smartphones

Step_5.jpg

Edges routed and rounded over to match prop

Step_6.jpg
Step_6.1.jpg

My first 2 rounds of sanding completed. These are currently at 220 grit. I'll go all the way to 800 before moving on to etching the barcode.
Afterwards I'll take the final finish down to 2000 before sending them off for plating.

Actually, no one has really 'Nailed' the gold bar seen on the golf course that was part of the Nazi hoard. A good friend and makeup artist friend of mine did a pretty accurate version but still a bit off. Many people ask me for a replica but they are no longer available and the ones on ebay are horribly incorrect.
If you ever consider doing them please let me know. --Ed
C 007-GF_Rep (1).jpg

Actually, no one has really 'Nailed' the gold bar seen on the golf course that was part of the Nazi hoard. A good friend and makeup artist friend of mine did a pretty accurate version but still a bit off. Many people ask me for a replica but they are no longer available and the ones on ebay are horribly incorrect.
If you ever consider doing them please let me know. --Ed

I can definitely see a future where I make full metal recreations of any and all gold bars from iconic films. I actually own one of the screen used gold bars from The Italian Job (2003) so safe to say heist based props are some of my favs.
That being said I DO have some hangups about making anything with Nazi iconography on it. I know its one of those thing I need to get over if I want to pursue the craft and all but it has proven to be a hurdle I keep sending down the track to leap over later.

I agree. I wouldn't want to glorify something that represents what so many of our brave soldiers, not to mention all the innocents, died because of.
That said, I think a similar symbol could be used. Such as they did in the TV series V...
s-l1600.jpg

Back from a bit of vacation and back on the projects. Here are the bars with a resist painted on and the barcodes engraved through. Next up is the chemical etch and then on to final polish and plating
20200125_185653.jpg

Here's my first gold bar after acid etching. This thing came out way better than I was thinking it would. This is my first foray into acid etching and so glad I didn't screw this up. I left the piece in a heated acid batch of ferric chloride for a 6 hour soak and got it to etch in a good 1/16th of an inch without any bleedover. I'm super stoked! Got the second piece in now and looking forward to the final sanding/polish then kicking over to plating.
20200126_183105.jpg
20200126_184014.jpg
20200126_184017.jpg
20200126_184023.jpg
20200126_184028.jpg
20200126_184034.jpg
20200126_184056.jpg

That looks amazing!
Thanks man, I just took the corner to my buffing wheel to get a peak at what it will eventually look like and the results give me a good amount of hope for the final product. I need to take some time to get all the corroded surface in the pits scraped out to help the plating stage but excited to get these done and move on to the full 8 bar (closing the loop) payout :)

It's fortunate but also curious that the etching went straight down. What would have happened if the bar was placed at an angle? Would the etching be sideways?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back