Looking to get an Indy Hat

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by DuneMuadDib, Feb 21, 2006.

1. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Went to Disneyland today, and the Indiana Jones ride gave me a jones to get an Indy hat (pardon the pun). Don't know about spending the cash for a Herbert Johnson, so was looking at an Akubra Federation Deluxe. Are they a good alternative?

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Akubras are good fedoras, but not Indy-accurate. The HJ's, while being of correct brand, are simply not worth it anymore.

However, you might want to check this place out.

3. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

optimo...ahem...optimo

4. Jedidentist

Jedidentist Well-Known Member

Yeah...I'm just looking for an excuse to get an Optimo. Definately not cheap though. If you're looking for a close enough hat that won't break your wallet, then the Akubra is the way to go. Go spook around Indygear.com and you'll get a better feel for things.

Derek

5. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Fed's are great hats, but my advice is check out the Adventurebilt. I've owned a fed, 2 optimos and an HJ but having seen (and tried on) a friends AB, I reckon it's the best Indy hat out there.

IMHO.

:)

6. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I've been wearing my fed deluxe for 3 yrs now and it still looks as good as they day I got it. They only get better with age as you naturally distress them. They conform to your head and you even forget you're wearing it.

It may not be 100% indy correct (more like 98%), but for the price, it can't be beat.

-Fred

7. Dr. J

Dr. J Active Member

Absolutely. The Federation was designed to be an Indy hat. For the money, it's a GREAT option. If you have a couple of bucks to spend though, the AB is the way to go.

8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gotta join the Choir on the Adventurebilts.

I will be getting mine some time this spring.

9. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

What's the difference between the Federation and the Federation Deluxe?

10. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

The fed deluxe uses a better felt.

11. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

My old Stetson fedora has the jakers beat out of it (I think I've had it 22 years), and I'm thinking of popping for a new one. Can you guys post pix of you various brand hats (if you have them handy, don't kill yourselves)? Thanks.

12. Feraud

Feraud Sr Member

The Akubra Federation Deluxe is a fine hat at a great price.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    They only get better with age. :)

13. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have a Beaver Brand and I love it...I also bought one of the cheapo $50 Disney world ones and it may not be even close but I wear it ( for stunts :p )
    mike

14. DarthBish

DarthBish Well-Known Member

Go The Akubra.......it's AUSSIE, so it's simply better than anything else :)