Looking for the right RUBBER for C3PO

waldo kent

I know the title sounds funny, but I have decided to sculpt and cast my own C3po feet. The ones availaible are too small and made of styrene. I was hoping to create something more flexible. I will send it off to be painted with Spectrachrome.

Problem is I know nothing about what kind of rubber to use or where to find it. I'm guessing it would be a two part mix and casted the same as latex. Something like the old flexible rubber fins or even Crocs shoes. Needs to last. Any help on this would be greatly apppreciated.
Thanks,

I would do the Latex with a heavier foam back. It will take paint far better then anything else.
If you would rather something other than latex then urethane would be the way to go. You would have to prep and paint it a certain way and it will still crack etc with flex just as any rubber will with the chrome paint or plating. I had the same idea for my C3PO feet, have to make a larger set as I wear 10.5 shoes.

It's still not designed to be used the way you want to use it. It'll hold up better than with no flex additive and flex primer but it will still crack and flake no getting around that. I have pics of screen used IronMan pieces painted with $800 a gallon base coat paint designed for rubber and it still cracked and flaked with use.

Sorry, a little off topic but..........
it was my understanding (and I could be mistaken) that spectrachrome was no longer excepting c3po builds.

No problem.... Creations and Chrome is who I'm looking at to do the work using Spectrachrome. There was a Vacuum Metalizing place in California I believe that was no longer doing C3POs.

Regarding the flaking: coloring the latex ahead of time should reduce the appearance of flaking. It won't get rid of it, but it will help reduce the obviousness of it. Also, make sure that you have the stiffest mix you can stand. Less flexibility equals less flaking.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back