Looking for propmakers in michigan.

Hazelrah

I have been lurking on here for awhile and am always amazed at the level of artistic ability and eye for detail...and was wondering if there were any prop makers in michigan. There are a number of movie studios being built here in michigan and a lot of incentives for hollywood to film here and yet there are no prop houses or prop making companies around. Now it may just be the fact that I'm unemployed but the idea of gathering a bunch of talented prop geeks such as myself and possibly starting our own prop house seems like a good idea... I figure if you can't find a job maybe you should just make your own...what do you all think?

Essentially a very good idea. I would recommend that you do an internship at a prop house before you get yourself into the business. There are many pitfalls when it comes to working on movies, especially as a freelancer. It porbably starts at how a job briefing is held and what questions you need to ask to make sure that you get the job done right, and does not finish at how you have to set up your invoice to make sure you get your money ;)

I have a friend who worked in different areas of employment in various (higher) positions, who started to work as a jack of all trades about three years ago. He does almost everything prop related, from digital animations as inserts in tv monitors to creating paper props to set construction to set decoration on a larger scale, i.e putting a crashed car down a river valley ;)
The main problem he had to cope with was the speed that he had to work in, i.e. last minute changes and demands by the director. But he still loves the work, and we are planning to attend a pyrotechnics seminar together next year, because he wants to broaden his skillset even further ;)

Good luck with your endeavour!!!

Thank you for the insights I hadn't really thought of. I know there is a lot more research and intel gathering that I need to do...I just know that I need to do something to feel more productive and find a way to make ends meet...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back