Looking for I robot NS 4 references

As you know I have a screen used NS4 torso in my collection, I don't mind giving you some reference shots and measurements if you tell me what you are after.[/URL]

Hi G17RDY - Thats very kind thanks you. I'll be in touch if I need that info. TBH I haven't touched this project for a while and now it seems to have had a flurry of activity all of a sudden!

yeah, take their descriptions with a pinch of salt ;)

Zorg, did you have any references other than the movie itself to create your (awesome) sculpt?

They were obviously duped by the seller that they bought from, normally I think their diligence is rather good when it comes to the linage of props, it would be a massive risk to their business if they weren't 100% sure when they put their name to an item.
Mistakes can be made but it does make you wonder about other items.

Anyway sorry off topic, let me know if I can help woodlake.

No problem at all - I'd missed the whole Prop store thing!

Hi Paul,

I worked on the VFX for I, Robot, and have the 3D model file of the NS-4 as rendered for the movie (the work was split between Weta and Digital Domain). I can't send the file, but I can render out some orthographic views so that you can adjust your model to fit.

Movie Trivia: I did the texturing and lighting on the NS-4 that is in the sinking car and pulls Will Smith's character to safety. While barely noticable onscreen, the chest logo indicates that the robot is owned by "Weyland-Yutani".

-John

John, that would be fantastic. PM sent.

All I had for reference was the DVD.

Oh yeah, it wasn't a zorg head propstore had but a recast of a zorg head.

Jontom,

Did you work at digital domain? Did they have prop heads that they used to help with the lighting and effects of water running down the face of the ns4?

Yes Nick, I was at DD. The only prop robot we had was a full size Sonny/NS5, which was used for onset reference and most of the insert shots (Calvin holding his hand, etc). We had a full size car mockup too! (Wish I had sneaked some pictures of that)

All of the "wet look" seen on the robot that rescues Det. Spooner is a reflective displacement shader, designed to look like a smooth, reflective surface (i.e. flowing water).

Dug through some of the old assets over the weekend:

robot_small.jpg

torso_front_small.jpg

That's awesome John :thumbsup

Nick As far as I'm aware, there were no physical NS4's made for reference. The only parts that were made were for the fight scene at the shipping containers (one of which G17RDY has in his collection). Maybe you could confirm that John?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, they only made the few pieces that could lie in the sand and Will Smith could step on. It *has* been 10 years, but if nothing else there would have been reference photos of a practical NS4, and I don't ever remember seeing those.

$(KGrHqR,!mIFJpYzrhGlBSe8kneKug~~60_1.JPGIMG_2014011642395.jpg

Great pics Jontom.

I ask specifically, because I was hoping to possible validate a recent head I purchased. Claiming to be used from digital domain, and for that scene. I liked the story behind it.

Zorg

I think I purchased one of yours several years back on ebay. He included a cast badge as well with the head. These two ns4 heads thst i have , definitely from different casts. The one I believe was from you looked like the fed ex robot in the opening scenes. The left side of its head is a little higher than its right side. This last one seems to be more symmetrical on the top of the head.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back