Looking for a how to for foaming a skin...anyone?

grendel64

I have a seahunterr skin arriving in a few days and thought I'd look up how folks go about foaming the suit so it doesn't sag, etc. Some searching hasn't really found what I'm looking for, so does anyone have any links or tips on how this is accomplished?
I appreciate any assistance you can provide :)
Mike

I'm not sure what's available to you guys over there, but I use a 4lb (2) part foam from either SilPak or Burman industries in L.A. IF I foam aany item outside the mold, I take my time and do small pieces at a time.

Bisceps, Triceps, forearms, etc... VERY small portions.

Quads and Chest are my biggest mixes.

Just lay the skin flat, mix the foam and pour it onto the various areas. Once the foam starts to expand... DO NOT TOUCH IT> you will pop the bubbles forming and cause the foam to go flat, losing any "fill" into the area. You then have to wait for it to dry - pull that out and try again. Also, if you poour into a area and it's not quite what you wanted.... you can either mix a smaller portion and oour around it, or simply tear out a little if it's too much.

Lasly, in the rib section, and along the sides of the chest and legs, I pour a very thin layer of foam just for some definition. You don't want it too thick, jsut to give the skin some support and look good.

Once your happy with the foam in a specific area, let it dry a bit, then sprinkle some talcum, (baby powder) over the area. THis will keep you from sticking to it as you are foaming hte other areas.

Hope this helps... but of course, this also assumes you can obtain a 2 part foam over there. It's basically the same foam I use to fill the masks.

Good Luck
E-O

Thanks Dave for the info.
I wasn't sure if you'd need a duct-tape dummy in the suit or not when you added the foam.
I can see how this is much simpler to do while the skin is in the mold, holding it's shape etc.
I'll see what I can find in terms of 2 part foam online.
Mike

I'll work up some pictures this week. I'll be foaming some stuff.

Having a duct tape dummy isn't really the answer. The foam is quite fluid and will just run down. It needs to be held pretty stationary where you want it to stay.

I also would recommend staying in the 3-5 lb range. anything heavier and it starts getting to rigid and you lose flexibility.

E-O

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back