Lightsaber Model Kit

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
It's been suggested that the powers that be do occasionally monitor these boards (which makes me wonder about the open pronouncements of some to make and sell unlicensed replicas), but I have an idea: a lightsaber model kit.

Maybe it's a little too late to bring to market in time for the release of TFA, but I think it's a doable thing. 1:1 models of a variety of different sabers, some assembly required. I think it would be perfect mid-point product between high end replicas and toys, maybe at a $40-50 price point. There's been models of the Star Trek goodies (phaser, communicator, tricorder), so why not a lightsaber? Who'd buy that? I probably would. Would you, or am I alone here?

I think there was a lightsaber playset for kids in plastic, which was officially released, that had several parts of different sabers which you could combine together as you'd see fit ... and the powers that be don't really scare nor bother me, because it's them manipulating us into thinking they are in control, but they are mistaken ... it is, has and always will be us, the mere fans, who decide where, how and on what we want to spend our cash, be it watching a movie, purchasing a lightsaber or an action figure. Luckily Lucasfilm always had a laid-back attitude when it came to fan-relations and fans recreating their own STAR WARS stuff, I just hope it remains the same under the guidance of Disney Co. ... there I said it :)

Chaim

I think there was a lightsaber playset for kids in plastic, which was officially released, that had several parts of different sabers which you could combine together as you'd see fit ... and the powers that be don't really scare nor bother me, because it's them manipulating us into thinking they are in control, but they are mistaken ... it is, has and always will be us, the mere fans, who decide where, how and on what we want to spend our cash, be it watching a movie, purchasing a lightsaber or an action figure. Luckily Lucasfilm always had a laid-back attitude when it came to fan-relations and fans recreating their own STAR WARS stuff, I just hope it remains the same under the guidance of Disney Co. ... there I said it :)

Chaim

i remember seeing those in walmart!

635593064341142453-Connectors.jpg

Long ago.......in a London far away Comet Miniatures sold some resin kits of lightsabres from the original trilogy. The quality was modest and they were rumoured to be cast from Master Replicas originals. Sales were modest and the run short lived, maybe they just didn't make many.

Many of the Sabre suppliers produce components with generic names, "grenade", "jet engine connector", "flash unit" rather than complete sabres, maybe that's an option.

There are resin "lightsabers" that can be bought on amazon. They appear to have been cast from MR sabers but as I have not bought any, I can't say for sure.

(Note: I'm not condoning it. I DID buy a resin Mace Windu YEARS ago on ebay that I think was cast from a MR saber but that was before I found my way here,)

Try google pics for 'lightsaber kit' and you'll see plenty of them made ... either plastic or even metal, licensed or custom :)

Chaim

I think you're still missing my point. I'm not talking about a "build a saber" kit from Hasbro. Nor am I talking about a "lightsaber construction kit" from MR. I'm definitely not talking about some resin recast of a licensed replica. I'm talking about a 1:1 model kit. Sort of like the ones AMT issued for the "Star Trek" gear. Or like the kits of the Vox and Nebuliser (sp?) from "Galaxy Quest". Scale models which are reasonably accurate and provide the opportunity to invest a little sweat equity and end up with something that at least looks like a prop replica.

Think of it this way: 1:72 X-wing. 1:144 Millennium Falcon. 1:1 lightsaber. It's clearly been done for other franchises. Why not "Star Wars"?

Last edited:
I think you're still missing my point. I'm not talking about a "build a saber" kit from Hasbro. Nor am I talking about a "lightsaber construction kit" from MR. I'm definitely not talking about some resin recast of a licensed replica. I'm talking about a 1:1 model kit. Sort of like the ones AMT issued for the "Star Trek" gear. Or like the kits of the Vox and Nebuliser (sp?) from "Galaxy Quest". Scale models which are reasonably accurate and provide the opportunity to invest a little sweat equity and end up with something that at least looks like a prop replica.

Think of it this way: 1:72 X-wing. 1:144 Millennium Falcon. 1:1 lightsaber. It's clearly been done for other franchises. Why not "Star Wars"?

If they'd do it, I'd be down... the only real question is what materials would/should they use?
plastics would probably be cheapest but there are other things that could be used that wouldn't be TOO hard on the wallet.

Why would anyone do this? The real parts are available; there's no reason to make a plastic kit when the real components are out there.

There are resin "lightsabers" that can be bought on amazon. They appear to have been cast from MR sabers but as I have not bought any, I can't say for sure.

(Note: I'm not condoning it. I DID buy a resin Mace Windu YEARS ago on ebay that I think was cast from a MR saber but that was before I found my way here,)

I bought one from a vendor selling them at Megacon in Orlando two years ago or so. Appear to be the same packaging as the Amazon ones you're talking about. No idea if its recast from a MR, but same thing, I'm just learning about this world. Its a Graflex though, so I guess it could have been cast from anything.

I cleaned it up a good bit, and the quality is passable to hang on a belt for trooping. Doesn't look super impressive up close.

Why would anyone do this? The real parts are available; there's no reason to make a plastic kit when the real components are out there.

I can see the attraction to this. The real parts can been hard to come by, and can certainly be expensive. Resin kits can be fiddly and certainly aren't for the novice.

I would love to have a lightsaber on display, but I'm not hunting down calculator and flash gun parts from the 70's, nor am I going to pay several hundred bucks for a replica, and I'd like it more accurate than anything made by Hasbro. If done right, it could provide an accurate representation at a reasonable cost with minimal fuss.

I'm really surprised that Bandai, or some other company, hasn't done this already. Clearly there's enough interest in lightsabers to warrant the expense.

Of course then they'd have to decide on which version of which Saber to make...or provide extra parts or conversion kits to represent the variations.

I bought the resin Graf for around $100 at a time when a real Graflex was going for $200+, if you were lucky.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back