Lightsaber Model Kit

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Tan Djarka, May 12, 2015.

1. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

It's been suggested that the powers that be do occasionally monitor these boards (which makes me wonder about the open pronouncements of some to make and sell unlicensed replicas), but I have an idea: a lightsaber model kit.

Maybe it's a little too late to bring to market in time for the release of TFA, but I think it's a doable thing. 1:1 models of a variety of different sabers, some assembly required. I think it would be perfect mid-point product between high end replicas and toys, maybe at a $40-50 price point. There's been models of the Star Trek goodies (phaser, communicator, tricorder), so why not a lightsaber? Who'd buy that? I probably would. Would you, or am I alone here?

TazMan2000 and thd9791 like this.
  2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I think there was a lightsaber playset for kids in plastic, which was officially released, that had several parts of different sabers which you could combine together as you'd see fit ... and the powers that be don't really scare nor bother me, because it's them manipulating us into thinking they are in control, but they are mistaken ... it is, has and always will be us, the mere fans, who decide where, how and on what we want to spend our cash, be it watching a movie, purchasing a lightsaber or an action figure. Luckily Lucasfilm always had a laid-back attitude when it came to fan-relations and fans recreating their own STAR WARS stuff, I just hope it remains the same under the guidance of Disney Co. ... there I said it :)

Chaim

3. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I think it's a brilliant idea.

4. Shrubpig

Shrubpig New Member

I had one when I was younger. I still have it somewhere :D

5. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i remember seeing those in walmart!

[​IMG]

6. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think what he means is like resin or metal, assembly required kits?

7. JHY

JHY Active Member

Long ago.......in a London far away Comet Miniatures sold some resin kits of lightsabres from the original trilogy. The quality was modest and they were rumoured to be cast from Master Replicas originals. Sales were modest and the run short lived, maybe they just didn't make many.

Many of the Sabre suppliers produce components with generic names, "grenade", "jet engine connector", "flash unit" rather than complete sabres, maybe that's an option.

8. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

There are resin "lightsabers" that can be bought on amazon. They appear to have been cast from MR sabers but as I have not bought any, I can't say for sure.

(Note: I'm not condoning it. I DID buy a resin Mace Windu YEARS ago on ebay that I think was cast from a MR saber but that was before I found my way here,)

9. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Try google pics for 'lightsaber kit' and you'll see plenty of them made ... either plastic or even metal, licensed or custom :)

Chaim

10. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I remember someone making really nice resin Graflex kits years ago; I had one, but traded it off.

11. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

I think you're still missing my point. I'm not talking about a "build a saber" kit from Hasbro. Nor am I talking about a "lightsaber construction kit" from MR. I'm definitely not talking about some resin recast of a licensed replica. I'm talking about a 1:1 model kit. Sort of like the ones AMT issued for the "Star Trek" gear. Or like the kits of the Vox and Nebuliser (sp?) from "Galaxy Quest". Scale models which are reasonably accurate and provide the opportunity to invest a little sweat equity and end up with something that at least looks like a prop replica.

Think of it this way: 1:72 X-wing. 1:144 Millennium Falcon. 1:1 lightsaber. It's clearly been done for other franchises. Why not "Star Wars"?

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    TooMuchBBQ and thd9791 like this.
  12. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

I had one of these and they were amazing! Every little detail was molded in super thin bubble free resin.
    [​IMG]

Robert

13. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

If they'd do it, I'd be down... the only real question is what materials would/should they use?
    plastics would probably be cheapest but there are other things that could be used that wouldn't be TOO hard on the wallet.

14. Mr_Creepy

As I recall, that would be you and that would be it! :lol

I still have those models on display ;) :)

15. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

OMG I Remember ! I forgot it was you I traded those to! Man, getting old sucks lol

Robert:lol

16. Mr_Creepy

Traded what to? :confused:wacko:lol

It does indeed... ;)

17. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Why would anyone do this? The real parts are available; there's no reason to make a plastic kit when the real components are out there.

JoeG likes this.
  18. wh1plash

wh1plash Member

I bought one from a vendor selling them at Megacon in Orlando two years ago or so. Appear to be the same packaging as the Amazon ones you're talking about. No idea if its recast from a MR, but same thing, I'm just learning about this world. Its a Graflex though, so I guess it could have been cast from anything.

I cleaned it up a good bit, and the quality is passable to hang on a belt for trooping. Doesn't look super impressive up close.

19. TooMuchBBQ

TooMuchBBQ New Member

I can see the attraction to this. The real parts can been hard to come by, and can certainly be expensive. Resin kits can be fiddly and certainly aren't for the novice.

I would love to have a lightsaber on display, but I'm not hunting down calculator and flash gun parts from the 70's, nor am I going to pay several hundred bucks for a replica, and I'd like it more accurate than anything made by Hasbro. If done right, it could provide an accurate representation at a reasonable cost with minimal fuss.

I'm really surprised that Bandai, or some other company, hasn't done this already. Clearly there's enough interest in lightsabers to warrant the expense.

Of course then they'd have to decide on which version of which Saber to make...or provide extra parts or conversion kits to represent the variations.

20. Mr_Creepy

I bought the resin Graf for around $100 at a time when a real Graflex was going for $200+, if you were lucky.

21. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

heck, if someone were to offer resin parts with templates for the 1.5" sink drains, people could make some reasonable approximations of the OT sabers. Maybe add the appropriate clamps and D-rings with some kind of butt-plate.
    I dunno, maybe I'm making it over-complicated but it sounds good to me.

Unfated likes this.
  22. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Why did anyone buy that 28" Hasbro Millennium Falcon when the MR item or Fine Molds kits were available? This isn't really for the "real parts" crowd. To be successful, the kit would have to have fairly broad appeal. It would be aimed at the fan who wants a lightsaber, but doesn't want the inaccuracies of most toys or the high price of licensed replicas. Or maybe even for the more involved collector who doesn't have the $300-500 for whatever saber he wants right now, and a kit could be a place holder in his collection.

I'd suggest there could be a market for these. Mass produced and in every Walmart, and watch 'em fly off the shelves.

23. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Just the same styrene used in any model. The Obi ANH could come molded in black plastic with chromed pommel, clamp, and emitter. Assemble and finish as desired.

24. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm kinda curious to see how a product like this would really do. As described, I just don't see it, but I could be wrong. To me it seems if the Hasbro toys aren't to your liking, then the FX sabers are still well within most people's budget. I could see a plastic model kit being appealing if it was more for a reveal type saber. Something like the visible V8 model to show how a lightsaber would be put together if it actually existed. It could only really be as a display piece, though. I don't see how it could be made sturdy enough to handle in any kind of fashion except for very delicatly. Certainly not for any kind of dueling. Even then it seems like most people expect any sort of lightsaber replica\toy\whatever to do something. As soon as they find out its a static piece, it seems to lose some of that wow factor for your average fan. And if this sort of thing didnt appeal to the average collector, then I think you've lost a big chunk of your target market.

mugatu likes this.
  25. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Exactly. It would be like any of the sabers from MR or eFX, only DIY, and considerably less expensive. And no, it wouldn't be aimed at the average collector (apart from the completest who must have everything). It's for the fan who isn't a collector... Yet.