Lifesize Maz Kanata

this actually gave me goosebumps!! so life like its scary! the eyes are dead on!

I wish I had 1/2 this talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First impression was., Holy Crap looks like she just stepped off screen. Awesome job, on Maz! Constructive Critiquing comments is valuable feedback, the way you word it is key and Asterisktek IMO would be considered rude. Thanks for sharing StreetJudge!

Last edited:
Sculpt looks fantastic - I've been wondering when someone would do a 1:1 Maz bust. Such a shame that raw casts are not available any more, I'd have liked to have a go at one of these myself. Be great to see her once the hat is done. Are you looking for constructive feedback on the paintjob, or are you happy as is? :)

Well I did tone down the freckles since I took this photo so she looks a little different now, but go ahead, I'd be happy to hear what I can do to improve it.

I think the skin tone is perfect. I think the difference is that your pictures are well lit, while the scene is in a dark "bar/club" atmosphere. Nothing you can do though, "haters gonna hate". Joking aside, I think it looks great.

DSC_5257.jpg

I did a quick comparison with the physical painted Maz maquette (not a CGI model). It really shows how great a sculpt it is as the transparency overlay was pretty much spot on when I was doing this.

I think your choice of eyes is great and I like the colours you used for the skintone. I think the main difference is the contrast between the dark colour in the wrinkles and the light colour on the raised parts - on your paintup the contrast is very stark, on the ILM model there is less contrast - it's a bit more of a smooth transition between light and dark.

I'd guess that you have drybrushed the raised areas - given the detail in the sculpt, it's something I would find very tempting myself. On a smaller scale it's a good option, but on a lifesize piece I feel that it causes too much contrast and sharp edges to the colours. Basically, what you have is very good, but I think it could do with probably two light washes of colours that are somewhere between your darkest shade and your lightest shade. That would tie the two together and even everything out more. This would also help blend in the freckles and make them more natural, but you've said that you've addressed those already. I'd also probably give it a VERY thin wash of greeny brown on the lower face and neck as well if I were to try to copy the maquette, though this may not be be the same on the CGI model.

Hope this is helpful and I'm not coming across as bashing - I really think with more wash work you could take a nice piece to the next level. :thumbsup

Thanks, that does help a lot. That comparison pic is great. I can see the subtle differences. Yeah this sculpt is sooo damn good , it screamed for washes and drybrushing so I kinda went a little crazy on it. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back