Life Size 1:1 REAL METAL Machined General Greivous

One of my projects for the new year is to build a 1:1 GG for our 501st group that I can take to events and let people pose for pictures with. I'm planning to make mine with the "cape" as seen in this picture:

EP3_IA_95426.jpg

BUT, hunched-down/squatting so he's only 4' or 4.5' tall. This will make him easier to carry, since he's half his "normal" height. I can cover up most of his body with the cape, and the only parts I really need are his head, maybe a right hand/forearm holding a saber/blaster and maybe his feet. When people see the head, the hand/arm, and a foot or feet sticking out from the cape, they'll think that the rest of him has to be there too when in reality, all that will be under the cape is a skeleton/armature for everything to attach to. ;) )see pics for examples of "caped" illustrations of Grievous)

ggrobe.jpg

I edited the middle picture. It was a pre-existing pic with the cape, and I just draped the cape over him a bit more. Forgive my rush Photoshopping job. I was just trying to create a "look". ;)

It's all an illusion, I know, but I don't have the money or time to build the whole thing, nor is it necessary for my needs to actually have the whole thing. It's just to draw people to the 501st table at cons and events (like we have to do that. :lol ), but mainly just something for the kiddies.

I'm thinking of sculpting the head, then coating it in a thin layer of Hydrocal and then vacuforming it. That'll make the head incredibly light as opposed to making it out of solid resin. The rest of the pieces I can fab out of PVC/Sintra/Styrene/ABS, and maybe even sculpt and cast a few of the more "complex" pieces in low-density Urethane resin.

If your GG head turns out to be cheap and accurate, I might be interested in one. It just depends on the cost:hassle ratio (if I can buy it cheaper than the hassle I have to go through to build one. :lol )

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out what I was planning on doing with my own 1:1 GG.

Good luck. :thumbsup

Has anyone concidered how a 1:1 scale replica would stand? You'd need something mounting it to a wall or something similar. He sure isn't going to stand on those two little chicken feet. You would need to have a perfectly balanced statue.

The only other option would be to put him in a crouched position and use a hand as a third support. Make him a tripod. He'd still have three hands for sabers.

Well, not to the lick the red off anyone's candy but...in the event that some kid with a few dollars is thinking about tossing it towards this (insert adjective of choice here) idea, I'll speak up.

I will say with 100% certainty that this is the largest vapor prop in RPF history.

This is just a wheel spinner, guys. The metal costs alone make this insane. There's not even a need to discuss logistics.

I can't see any resonable adult even entertaining such a thing. Hell, I'm angry I even took the time to read this thread.

I am simply dumber for having tried to decode the playground logic in the first few posts alone...

Time for Adult Swim at the RPF/

Sorry, no patience for this sort of thing. I think it makes for trouble here and could become a problem if some of our yonger members (hope they know better) try and invest in it.

Try to have a little vision from time to time. I have seen items come from this group of people that defies logic.

Really, how difficult would it be to assemble a 1:1 grievous if you simply scaled up the parts of the 1/4 scale sideshow figure????

As far as support, it could easily have metal supports inside it.

I think a full metal figure would be kinda ludicrous unless you have more money than brains......but since grievous has a color and is not really chrome, why use metal to begin with???

Dave :)
edit: ps, all the thin parts could be vacformed shells. It really could rock...

A little vision...priceless.

Well, hop to it.

Knowing more than a little about what it takes to make runs happen rather than talk them to death; I'm rather comfortable with my take on this. Metal costs are at an all time high and machine costs are worse.

Having a few pictures and an eager hand in the air for cad drawings hardly gets a job done. You simply have no idea what you're talking about. This piece would take countless man hours and thousands of dollars.

Hey, you can always prove me wrong. I just hope it's not as some newbies expense which is my primary concern.

Originally posted by xmart@Dec 30 2005, 11:01 PM
Will LFL do anything up to 20 copies (but not over 20) ?
Personally I don't think so..what do you guys think.
Check these boards alone and there are TONS of fan made replicas..let alone ebay etc.

$5000 (+/-) for an accurate life-size Grievous is not EXPENSIVE, considering what you get.
[snapback]1147096[/snapback]​

Ah, the sound voice of wisdom...

Careful -- following such illusions may find you in court.

I think this project is doable.

As far as Lucas goes, I don't think that's a problem. We can start a General Grievous Builder's Club. As long as you are not offering a whole Grievous, then you will be O.K.

Look at the R2 Builder's club. I've been a member for sometime. After 5 years I almost have a completed R2 which is good enough to be on the set of any Star Wars film.

Lucas knows the fans keep the story going and the project is fan based, not for profit to sell to the masses.

The biggest challenge with the project is keeping interest alive. This project would go on for years and would take huge commitment.

The parts do not have to be made out of metal.

I have seen some amazing parts made from wood by some very skilled craftsmen. This is just one example of a different way to do it.

Too me he looks less complex than Terminator.

Well,
I am just waiting here to see where we are going to go with this. As I have said before, I have access to Lots of technology, but as some of you have pointed out--costs can be prohibitive. I would be interested in helping with this project in any way I can. I guess we just need to get our head together and come up with a game plan on exactly what we are going to do and how we are going to do it.
Until then--this thread will just get longer and longer. I honestly do not have the time to head up a project like this, so someone needs to take the reins here.

Im open to suggestions.
Clay

As I said--Im not heading this up so I really dont know where it stands at this point. .Havent heard anything from anyone as far as any progress goes. Guess everyone just lost interest .

Originally posted by appliedmetal@Feb 18 2006, 02:56 AM
Guess everyone just lost interest .
[snapback]1187446[/snapback]​

maybe they came to their senses :rolleyes

what about a full size chuck norris?

you will need to use something harder than steel though............. :love

NO, this project is not at all "undoable."

Machining all the parts is not the best route, that much is for sure.

I have some aluminum casting contacts that do fantastic work.

Much of Greevy, can be cast, than cleaned up, some parts machined.

We can also do a hybrid version....plated fiberglass and resin is still a great idea.

Applied...this is where you come in right ;)

You guys give up to easy...as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing that an extraordinary amount of time effort and skill coupled with a HUGE sum of money cannot create.

:)

M

Originally posted by Matsuo@Feb 18 2006, 03:11 PM
You guys give up to easy...as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing that an extraordinary amount of time effort and skill coupled with a HUGE sum of money cannot create.

:)

M
[snapback]1187711[/snapback]​

You're right.

Look at the Hoover dam...

;)

I hate the character, and I really don't care to read this hole thread, so if someone else has said this I apologize for copping someone else.

The problem around here, isn't the dreamers, it's the nay sayers. I've always hated those that feel the incessant need, to dump on the projects of others. Some times the projects aren't even in the realm of these peoples expertise, or understanding, but still, just to be hate full, but have to add there non constructive criticism :( Some people are just always looking to kill the fun of otheres, and make waves. Bad form people. They say they sometimes say they are so mature, but people with true maturity learned there manners long ago, and would never be that rood.

I'm not a fan of this character, but I'm so happy for those of you who are, and I wish you all the best in your pursuits. Aim big people. Ami big. Make us all proud. We have seen life sized C3P0's both prequel (no skins) and sequel (with skins). We have seen a life sized Jabba the Hutt, and many, many more incredible things come from these boards, and I see no reason, you fine folks can't beet the odds again. :)

Jason

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back