Life Size 1:1 REAL METAL Machined General Greivous

Just wanted to do a quick update guys.
New Sideshow Statue looks promising and from what I see, it can be broken down into pieces nicely.

This picture gives me some good hopes.
I think we will be able to clearly examine the pieces.
And from what I see legs contain less pieces than I expected (which is a good thing)

120205_IMG_3062.jpg

120205_IMG_3065.jpg

Yes sir,

I also think that statue can be the "key" to this project... a scan of it would be amazing... I also think this project is more than possible ...

Keep us informed ...

Originally posted by xmart@Dec 16 2005, 04:58 AM
Just wanted to do a quick update guys.
New Sideshow Statue looks promising and from what I see, it can be broken down into pieces nicely.

This picture gives me some good hopes.
I think we will be able to clearly examine the pieces.
And from what I see legs contain less pieces than I expected (which is a good thing)

120205_IMG_3062.jpg

120205_IMG_3065.jpg

[snapback]1137130[/snapback]​

Ohhh Yeah--Now we are talking here---Get these on a laser scanner and we are in business.....

Yup this sounds intersting in deed. I will have too keep an eye on this project. as this would look good in a house or home theater room.

Here we have a breakdown of all the pieces :D
Looks nice huh?

Don't let these scare you..I guess once we model a piece..we can use the mirror image for the other side? Sound symetric huh?

122205_gall.jpg

I read this thread with increasing interest. I think its totally doable but I tend to agree with the suggestion that the material be changed to ABS plastic, other lightweight polymer product or some kind of bonded fiber product, to keep the weight and the cost down while retaining durability and strength.

I can't offer much in terms of sculpting or modeling, but I CAN contribute this bit of advise (not sure if it's been mentioned as I only skimmed through the 6 pages of posts):

Ok so we all pool together to make enough of each and every part. There should be a 1 set minimum for each participant but of course you can order more, but always in a full set.

Meaning once you commit to this project you'll have to be willing to make a financial commitment and a legal document will be drawn up with everyone so that no matter what happens, all the required number of parts to meet the target will have to be made and money will have to be paid. Even if you have to slack on your payment for a few months, you'll eventually have to still come up with the cash, or be taken to court.

Each participant will have to pay a deposit to get the project off the ground, and maybe a quarterly payment for the next few parts. The project manager will always retain a percentage of the quarterly payment in case someone falls short for whatever reason, to ensure the project can still go on.

The project manager would ideally own a fabricating facility himself, or be a sculptor/modeler, and be a reputable person of this community.

That's just the simplified version of how to carry a project like this through. A licensed professional well versed in formulating systematic production and payment schedules for manufacturing project can draw up a detailed paper. Its done everyday for all sorts of projects, nothing to it. The biggest problem I can see is will everyone involved be given a 'cease and desist' letter from you-know-who before the whole thing even gets off the ground...

Very impressive find - but these are only images Sideshow released, right? Not the actual 3D files?

While hypothetically doable once you have the 1:4 scale Grievous model in hand, I'd like to inject some real-world numbers here.

3D Scanning of all the parts - including part orientation & fixation, scanning, cleaning up the files (filling gaps, fixing wonky surface errors, etc.), exporting in .STL format for rapid prototyping: at least $10,000

Rapid prototyping - includes .STL file import, orienting the part on the build plate, setting the resolution parameters, and machine time: at least $50,000

These numbers aren't sucked out of my a$$. I do this for a living. A stereolithography part typically runs (conservatively) about $300 per 4 square inches, and the larger, more complex shape, and difficult the clean-up, the more expensive.

Material & labor to mold all the parts - at least $5,000 (good for maybe 50-60 pulls before requiring replacement)

Labor, material, and hardware for casting, cleaning, painting, and assembling all the parts - at least $5,000 (or $2,500 for a kit)

So just preproduction costs alone would come to $65,000, conservatively. And let's say as many as 20 people committed just to kits - to just break even on the investment, a kit would have to cost $2,500 + $3,250 = $5,750.

I'm sorry to be the voice of skepticism, but only a licensee with a sound corporate structure, efficient bookkeeping practices, and sufficient operational capital could pull this of, but that's only hypothetical, because this character is not popular enough to merit a license or 1:1 scale statues.

If anyone disputes my numbers, they'd better be able to back it up. Don't be naive: manufacturing a product of even modest proportions with only a few parts involves several thousands of dollars, and that's before the first finished product even leaves the factory.

If someone here has deep enough pockets and is willing to risk a Lucasfilm lawsuit, more power to you. :)

I'll continue to watch as the token skeptic. ;)

- Gabe

Will LFL do anything up to 20 copies (but not over 20) ?
Personally I don't think so..what do you guys think.
Check these boards alone and there are TONS of fan made replicas..let alone ebay etc.

$5000 (+/-) for an accurate life-size Grievous is not EXPENSIVE, considering what you get.

fuh..........

looks awesome i need some good pics for the finished project

and how much all together did you pay for this?

and for your next project, r2d2, or snowspeeder, or ESB walker, or like x wing or

STAR DESTROYER

like...o those are big...idk....1/1000 scale?

so big it iwll git on a dining room table, (and not a small table like you uys in New York...like one in my house)

Originally posted by xmart@Dec 30 2005, 03:01 PM
Will LFL do anything up to 20 copies (but not over 20) ?
Personally I don't think so..what do you guys think.
Check these boards alone and there are TONS of fan made replicas..let alone ebay etc.

$5000 (+/-) for an accurate life-size Grievous is not EXPENSIVE, considering what you get.
[snapback]1147096[/snapback]​
Well, it's much closer to $6K than 5, and my estimate was VERY conservative. Plus add at least $200-$400 for shipping just within the US.

How many RPF members here have purchased a full-size licensed T2 Endoskeleton or B9 Robot? One? Two? How many people have actually finished a simpler C3PO or R2? Those who have spent years collecting all the parts and spending sparingly here and there. By comparison, Vaders, Troopers, and Fetts have been around for 20-30 years, and competition has driven prices steadily downward, but it still takes a lot of money and skill to put together and finish a complete costume. And remember: those characters are a hundred times more popular, and all the components are readily purchasable. And unlike those, a Greivous statue would require an enormous upfront investment before a single kit part arrives at your door. Don't forget: you wouldn't be able to publicly or commercially market these without seriously risking getting pounded by LFL's legal hammer... Certainly not over at Rebel Scum, and the RPB members probably couldn't afford the astronomical shipping to the UK. What large forums are left?

I think we need at this point to see a show of hands from those who think they'll seriously consider spending $6K+ for a 1:1 Grievous - with committing at least $3K-$4K upfront for preproduction costs - before anyone commits their resources and energy to this project. If there are less than 15, I really think this will never get off the ground. :(

I'n not trying to kill enthusiasm for this project, rather weed out those whose enthusiasm far outreaches their financial means. ;)

- Gabe

life size star destroyer... how cool would that be???

just get all the SW fan/artisian contracter/prop builders to unite... i bet if you opened it to the public and put a mall inside it... you could get your money back in a few years.

how much do you think that would run gabe???

get started on the 3D renderings... this is going to take a minute.

:p

Originally posted by oldken@Dec 30 2005, 03:23 PM
life size star destroyer... how cool would that be???

just get all the SW fan/artisian contracter/prop builders to unite... i bet if you opened it to the public and put a mall inside it... you could get your money back in a few years.

how much do you think that would run gabe???

get started on the 3D renderings... this is going to take a minute.

:p
[snapback]1147118[/snapback]​
:lol

Sorry, I think I'll be sitting THAT project out. :p

Originally posted by Star Wars Man@Dec 31 2005, 12:00 AM
ya arent star destroyers like...bigger than a planet?
[snapback]1147148[/snapback]​

You would need a rather large kitchen table to house a 1:1 Star Destroyer, that's for sure. ;)

Personally, I would like to own a 1:1 scale Grevious helmet. Perhaps this is something which may be available as a licensed product in the future? In the meantime, the 1:4 version looks rather good too.

I do think the character will continue to grow in popular appeal. It seems to be the way of things that, given the passing of time, most 'newly introduced' characters become increasingly embedded in the SW universe and in the affections of fans.

Except Jar Jar, maybe. :lol ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back