Life Size 1:1 REAL METAL Machined General Greivous

Well it sounds awesome, I would love to see one in real life. I agree that he hasn't been around that long, but as a character, he is most impressive.

Originally posted by fettpride@Dec 8 2005, 08:16 PM
Why don't we just give it a few months for Sideshow to read about the interest and whip one up themselves ? I can see the price tag on that one :lol <JK>

XMART - In all seriousness though, it's an interesting idea. I've toyed around with the idea of making one myself someday. Fiberglass / cast pieces of course. Even the thought of that is intimidating in it's own right, what with the expense of silicone for soo many molds and all.

I'm sure there is at least one other artisan on this board that might be considering doing this as a life-size project in glass ... this could be a good or bad thing, depending on where your intentions may lay. If we're talking a not-for-profit group effort, then perhaps this could be more of a blessing. The joining of forces, so to speak.

The only other thing to consider from "MY" perspective, would be enough interest due to the fact that ROTS was a huge disappointment to many.

Still, if said project got off of the ground, I'd offer my assistance in the molding/casting respects of it all.

FP
[snapback]1131657[/snapback]​

I'm writing all of these helps down buddy. It will be a non-profit project to keep the prices at minimum and make more people own their very own Greivous. It's something that I want to present as the masterpiece of these forums. I'm sure once completed we will get a lot of public attention too. 1/4 sideshow Greivous got many dropped jaws by itself..1:1 version should be something out this world :D

Also I don't think that ROTS was a dissapointment at all.

I also got confirmation from Official Site that model is not 2.50 metres..it's 2.16 meters tall (at full height)..so thats something good for all those who fear it won't fit inside house :p

I don't think I'd want an cyborg that coughs all the time and gets his ass handed to him by a jedi with a blaster. :)

I don't think I'd want an cyborg that coughs all the time and gets his ass handed to him by a jedi with a blaster. :)

Yet everyone loves C3PO... :angel

Colour me interested.

And pay no attention to the folks trying to shoot this idea down.

Originally posted by CTF@Dec 8 2005, 09:06 PM

Yet everyone loves C3PO... :angel

Colour me interested.

And pay no attention to the folks trying to shoot this idea down.
[snapback]1131706[/snapback]​

I don't..

Thanks CTF. Follow the thread.

Making no commitment here, but I like the idea, and I love the Greivous character.

You might considerusing multiple materials in your build. Strong cast resin "Armor" pieces for the white/bone outter bits and a metal frame skeleton for support and mobile, articulated joints. Speaking of joints, during your early planning stages you are going to have to give some serious condsideration to your joint, the points of articulation are going to be a major headache I suspect.

CG rendered "thin" robots are notorious for having unrealistic joint areas that rely upon magnificent technology that doesn't exist in terms of tensile strength and joint strength. Floppy arm syndrome, or geared sockets that require a wrench for positioning are the usual alternatives. If you are going to have spliting arms that have dozens of points of articulation each, expect some major design headaches.

Again, I love the idea, but there is an immense amount of planning to do to make this idea become real.

Keep dreaming, that's where the goodies come from.

I think the project is a great idea, despite the logistical nightmare is could become, but I think the bulk of the figure should be resin and plastic, to keep the cost down (not to mention shipping costs).

Can anyone get acces to the CAD files for the screen used model?

I found a couple of fan created models here Sci-Fi 3D that might help. Any chance some parts might be machined on a 3D printer or milling machine?

~ General Mayhem

I apologize if English is not your first language.

Regardless, I wasn't being a grammar nanny, I was serious.

If you are going to inspire people to plunk down that kind of dough for a project this size.

It damn well better be by someone who can at least communicate the whats, wheres and hows.

Otherwise we'll end up with another big freakin' mess.

Quick Update Guys.

Todays I was able to talk with our computer engineer and CNC Machinist who is the best in his field.

I'm told that, this project is not impossible.

We decided to do a complete Master Prototype copy (steel) for the Greivous, to have an idea what will the final product look like, than we can have the casts out of it..in resin, to cheapen the cost, however if one likes to have a steel movie like copy than there will be files in the computer, than it won't cost that expensive to have it CNC machined as far as we will have the copy.

Now since we let this project a "go", there will be some stuff that we'll need..I need some real quality pictures of Greivous. Anything.

I'll order some official studio photos from Official Pix, and I ordered my 2nd Sideshow 1/4 Greivous to a possible breakdown of the pieces, to study the design.
Any help will be higly appreciated. I'm in contact with Clay, he is a real professional in this CNC engineering, along with some other sources that might be a possible help.

After we have all the referances sent to the studio and studied by the engineers, we will have the costs for a possible run, which all you look forward to.
Any referance image help will be HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Once again guys, this will be a RPF only project. If it finalizes, it will be a limited run, and it is A NON-PROFIT project between the fellas in this website. Everything will be sold at cost, and the items should not be resold for profit as it is a custom project.

May the force be with us.
We want to do this for Star Wars and our love for Greivous, not for money.

EP3_IA_96010_R.jpg

EP3_IA_96011_R.jpg

Great news is that Official Pix have so many great photos of Greivous, sized at 16x20..priced at around $30 each. However to see the details, I'm thinking of ordering them. Here are just some of them.

SW-1165.jpg

SW-1166.jpg

EP3_IA_93650-tn.jpg

EP3_IA_95426.jpg

EP3_IA_95435.jpg

EP3_IA_95438.jpg

EP3_IA_95623.jpg

I'm pretty sure I still have the EPK with (super) hi-res pics of GG in there.

And if you get the model from ILM... All I can say is watch your back. Even the Boss Nass and Jar Jar models would be impossible to get out of there. (And really, who want them? :p)

I like the idea of this project,but why couldn't this be an effort on behalf of IG-88 :cry He's sooo much more popular,but unfortunately the only found peices are the Derwent engine for the head....

Steve

Originally posted by iceman@Dec 8 2005, 03:02 PM
we just finished a large group project ( 1:1 Star Wars vehicle ) and there are some definate logistics to consider -

Who will own the project once it's finished ?
If it gets sold down the road, who keeps the $$ ?

[snapback]1131581[/snapback]​

Say what you will, but you asked both of the questions that IMMEDIATELY sprung to my mind.

Originally posted by Qui-Gonzalez+Dec 9 2005, 02:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Qui-Gonzalez @ Dec 9 2005, 02:37 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-iceman
@Dec 8 2005, 03:02 PM
we just finished a large group project ( 1:1 Star Wars vehicle ) and there are some definate logistics to consider -

Who will own the project once it's finished ?
If it gets sold down the road, who keeps the $$ ?

[snapback]1131581[/snapback]​

Say what you will, but you asked both of the questions that IMMEDIATELY sprung to my mind.
[snapback]1132565[/snapback]​
[/b]
Easy one:

LUCASFILM.

:lol

- Gabe

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back