Life masks and sculpts

reelprops

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all. I recently got my hands on a Bale life mask and also purchased one of Radions Bale face castings. In the pics below is a perfect example of why I believe in using Life masks' as a reference (Not a foundation) to sculpt by. If I (The commissioner of the sculpt) am gonna have a bust done, I certainly would have the artist use a life mask as reference. Nothing wrong with that. I know some artists don't like to use them or can't get them, but look at the difference. I had intended to use the Radion face mask for my Dark Knight build and it was huge. The Life Mask was a perfect fit.

View attachment 140363

Now this one is too big for my build.
View attachment 140364
The life mask is a perfect fit.
View attachment 140366
View attachment 140367

Just my opinion. That's all it is.

Reel

I like combining the two... That's how I'm doing the busts I'm working on now, there's just so many going at once that I don't have one finished... I'm doing a Freddy on Englund, a Joker on Nicholson and a Joker on Ledger. Can't beat a lifecast but you can get rid of issues in the cast, bald cap hair lines, open eyes, etc.

The thing with Bob's head sculpt was that it was used to sculpt on and then he used it to make foam cowls which is why its bigger, to account for foam shrinkage. Then he sculpted a display head (the one you have the mold for) to fit the larger urethane versions of the cowls he'd made previously.

I dont think the Bale casts were around when he sculpted the head you have. Plus people can look smooshed in a lifecast due to the process, like David said, there are corrections that need to be done but I agree they are useful to have if you can get em!

Believe me, I'm in no way knocking Bobs sculpt. I can understand sculpting the head to accommodate the cowls. Makes sense. I got the sculpt with the intentions of putting on my mannequin, but just looked way out of proportion. The life mask fit perfect.

I agree that life masks need work. That's why I think they're great reference tools for sculpting.

Reel

I think the objective of any life like re-creation is to make it as life like as possible. I don't think the use of a life cast or any other accurate medium is taboo, or should be shunned.
I've seen great sculpts that were made from scratch, but not that great when compared to the original person. I want spot on duplication of the actor or creature and any foolish pride regarding cheating is down right comical.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back