Let's see how fast can I make Bucky Cap!

PROBABLY FASTER IF I DIDN'T FEEL THE NEED TO BLOG ABOUT IT, BUT WHAT THE HELL

Anyway, I've been planning to make a costume for Civil War for months, but somehow I lost track of the date and got distracted making a Ren faire costume, so I ended up not starting sewing until...yesterday. But I made good progress yesterday, so I figure I might as well post stuff.

Started off making a basic bodysuit out of white fabric so I could draw on it. Sketched on the chest and shoulder area, then, while wearing it so it'd retain the right shape, covered those bits in masking tape to make a pattern for the stars and stripes, which I made out of pleather. I haven't liked suits I've seen made with stretch pvc very much, even though that's probably the best way to get an accurate level of shininess, so I'm hoping pleather will look a bit better - and the blue I found it pretty shiny anyway.

Awkward bathroom mirror selfie of my awkward patterning:

bucky patterning.jpg

Assembling the shoulders - there's more topstitching on this than there are actual seams:

star closeup.jpgavenger disassembled.jpg

And this is as far as I got last night. There's some more with the collar I need to do, and I have to put a zipper in the back so I can actually get my head in. The rest is going to be spandex, and I'm planning on putting a zipper in the side seam, so I'm hoping between those two I'll be able to get the thing on somehow.

chest front.jpgchest back.jpg

If I did this again I think I'd make the front star a tiny bit smaller, but THERE'S NO TIME FOR THAT NOW, I HAVE GLOVES TO MAKE. I keep thinking the hard part is done, but...gloves are always awful.

Sticking with stuff I can actually bring into a movie theater for now, so I'm not looking to have a cowl/helmet or quite as many holsters as Bucky likes, so this is feeling surprisingly doable.

It's wearable! Took me way too long because I ended up undoing and re-doing things a few times, and seam ripping spandex is awful. My original zipper configuration didn't work at all, so now it just has one invisible zipper up the back - which I only didn't do in the first place because I wasn't sure an invisible zipper would work with the vinyl, but it did.

bucky cap front.jpgbucky cap sideback.jpg

I'm going to fiddle with it more tonight to see if I can't get the front panel to lay flatter, and then...I guess I make gloves tomorrow afternoon. Between classes. I guess. IT'LL WORK, IT'S FINE

Wow, this looks fantastic so far. I've been wanting to do a Bucky Cap for a couple years now. I even designed a dye sub pattern for it that I haven't had printed yet but this looks way better than a printed suit could. Any chance you'd be willing to share your patterns after you're finished?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back