Let's Build a TIE Bomber!

May 30, 2024

Another thing I've learned in my short time doing scratch building is that it's a lot working on a house. Waiting for electrical? Go work on plumbing. Waiting for your scribing tool? Go work on those Harrier seat rails.

kg_tie-bomber-045.jpg

This is one of those parts that come from a $150.00 kit and you need two. I was crazy lucky and was able to get one at a swap at a swap meet for $50.00. (See exhibit A below)

1717213224841.png

IMG_5909.jpg

With that said, this was my motivation to learn how to cast resin parts so I did.

(Text and photos unavailable)

With the original in a safe undisclosed location I began by gluing the part to a piece of 2mm(?) styrene. You have to build up the underside so that you can sand it back to match the curve of the body tubes.

I trimmed back the excess with a knife before doing the shaping with a sanding stick. When I was building scale armor models I rarely used a grit below 400. The thought of using 100 was mortifying and unheard of. Now I rarely venture above 400. Hey, I ain't got all day.

There were a couple of voids that needed to be addressed and they were with some Bondo. A little more sanding, a little shaping and a little clean up and I had some good results.

IMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

By wrapping a piece of sandpaper around the tube I used the armature itself as a guide ensuring a perfect-ish fit.

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

It was time to bring the MVP into the game once again, this time by wrapping it in sandpaper and using it for a guide. For those interested, I used 150 grit for these parts

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

This took some work but I was very pleased with the results.

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5907.jpg

After gluing some more parts and greeblies on I treated myself to doing a dry fit of the subassemblies. It’s easy to get worn down during a build and the scribing mishap did a number on me. Seeing a glimpse of the project closer to completion is inspiring and motivating.

IMG_5883.jpg

Nice work Bret. I was wondering what the process was on those pieces. Your explanation makes it seem simple although i am sure it will have its challenges.

Looking at the parts map over at X2creativos what are the other details on the side view of this part?

Harrier rail.png

For scribing lines I use a variety of "tricks": the run-of-the-mill metal ruler or Dymo tape and my trusted Gerry-rigged scribing tool ;)
As for micro-holes, I've been known to use a Dremel and a dress maker's pin or a sewing machine's ;)

Thank you Joberg. I asked that question poorly and i apologize. What i meant to ask is what reference photo's are the best for laying out the scribe lines on the TB body. I presume the best method is to get some of the main detail parts on the body to act as key reference points and from there sketch out the lines to scribe. I hope that made sense.

June 9, 2024

New tool, new technique and the advice from those that have gone before me. The scribing is finished. Is it perfect? No. Is it really rough in spots? Oh yeah. Is it as good as I'd like it? Not really, but I'm happy with it being my first attempt and I now have figured out a technique that works for me that will yield positive results next time.

Like I said in an earlier posting, I really wrecked havoc on the tubes on my first attempt. I did the best I could filling in the lines/gouges I had previously made with Bondo. I'm by far not not proclaiming myself an overnight expert but this is what I discovered worked for me.

I had posted some pics over on the Nerf Herder' Workshop Facebook group and Lee Ralph was kind enough to shoot me a short video showing the tool he used and some useful pointers.

He recommended the Tamiya Engraver Tool and I have to say, combined with other things, it changed my game. I think there's a name for those kind of things. The blades and handle are sold separately and will set you back about $50.00 but it was totally worth it.

IMG_5921.jpg

This time around rather than drawing pencil lines and going off them I took a different approach. I used a combination of parts maps and existing parts glued in place for reference. Once I determined the line I was going to scribe I used Dymo tape as guide from point A to point B.

IMG_5924.jpg

Regarding my new scribing technique, the first thing I changed up was how I held the blade. Rather than gripping the handle like a pencil I rested it in my hand with my index at the blade tip to apply and control the pressure at the tip. My middle finger acts as a support and guide as the blade is pulled back, very much like someone doing pin striping.

IMG_5927.jpg

Second, I kept the blade at 90 degrees to the surface at all times. This along with keeping the handle parallel to the Dymo tape made for a uniform line and prevented the corner edge of the blade tip from either wanting to wander or gouge the surface. I noticed that the couple times that the blade strayed it was because I wasn't doing one of those two things.

Finally, like has been said many times before, several light passes works! I know, I know, you tried to tell me but I get it now. My new knife and technique of holding it really allows me to feel what "light" really means. My old Tamiya panel line scriber is like using a linoleum knife.

The only rough going really came from the spots I had filled in with Bondo. The were soft and the filler would sometimes either chip or yield a wider line.

The position of some parts needed to be figured out for the lines and that included the bomb pod.

IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg

With the bomb pod in place I cut loose and glued on the remaining greeblies and chips.

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5941.jpg

IMG_5938.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

Like I said at the beginning it's looking rough. It's got a lot of "bruising" right now from Bondo and sanding but I'm confident that once I hit it with some filler primer it will look a lot better.

I'm still new to the world of studio scale models and there are a lot of things where I'm waiting for my skills to catch up with my talent. It's been a journey but I feel I'm at the halfway mark.

Quite an update. Thank you for sharing your failures and how you learned from them. Most hide where they mess up. Coodo's.

Yes to your scribing technique...it's like scribing on metal: your fingers position is key and little by little you'll achieve what you're aiming for as a final result(y)(y)

February 17, 2024

View attachment 1790849

Any addict knows you always need a little more to get that feeling you got from your first high and I've discovered the same is true with scratch building and kit bashing studio scale models.*

Fresh off the big high from my 232 Imperial Probe Pod, my next build will be the TIE Bomber. This one seems to have had a heyday 10 years ago but I haven't seen many that weren't 3D prints lately.

I already had a good start on the kits needed so I started collecting kits and materials until I got to the point where I got to the point where I could start. That time is now. Some parts I'm going to cast in resin due the cost of the kit so as not to go completely bankrupt. I got lucky last weekend at a model swap meet when I picked up an original Hawker Harrier and Stuka kit for $80 for both.

View attachment 1790848

That brings me to WHERE to start?

View attachment 1790851

I'm not using a starter kit and I'm still sorting out what form the armature will take so I figure I can start with one of the many subassemblies. I chose the wings.

It was brought to my attention a detail that some people miss is that the wings aren't matching so you need two Vader TIE kits. On the outside of the center panel there's a detail strip that is on the top on the left wing and on the bottom of the right one. If you use the two wings included in the kit that strip will either be on the top or bottom of both sides depending on the orientation of the wings. So you need two kits. Who knows if this was intentional or just by accident when the the original was being built.

View attachment 1790864

View attachment 1790865

View attachment 1790866

With that straightened out I started on the wing extensions and figuring out the measurements. I've read of people doing their wing extensions in varying widths:

12.6mm
15mm
15.8mm

I know there are some templates out there and I'm capable of making my own but I found it faster to cut some strips out of card stock and just taping on the wings to see what looks best. Afterwards I would then just trace the pieces onto another piece of card to make the final template. I know it seems like a lot of work it's just a quicker way of working for me.

View attachment 1790878

View attachment 1790879

View attachment 1790880

I started with the 15mm measurement and it didn't quite look right so I tried 1/2". Again, not looking right. Too small.

View attachment 1790881

In the end I found myself in that familiar place we've all been in where I was getting tired and nothing looked right.

View attachment 1790882

I'd be curious to hear from anyone out there what measurements for the wings you used.
I am inspired to build one. Where are the part maps found please.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back