Lense material for a Ep7 Stormtrooper Helmet build - help please

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Country Paul, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

I'm a blaster & lightsaber guy, I've not really done any helmet building (except for a couple of Hasbro clone mods)

I'm hoping to build/paint up a Force Awakens Stormtrooper Helmet but I need to find some lenses

I've been searching eBay, Amazon, Etsy etc looking for suitable material & have come to the conclusion I just don't know what I'm looking for or at least the right terms to use

I know that the actual props have bubble lenses but I think I could happily live with flat ones for now as I am on a budget, I don't have the skills or equipment for vac forming etc.

I believe that the eye section joins in the middle on the TFA helmet so I can't just buy a pair of OT Stormtrooper lenses

I think I'm looking for tinted/smoked/black acetate sheet???

can anyone just point me in the right direction (should probably say I'm in the UK)

thanks & I apologise for my amateurish question but I've strayed out of my comfort zone here & figured a quick question might save a lot more fruitless searching & I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread for this :lol

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Look into face shields for motorcycle and welding helmets.

3. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

Thanks I'll do some more searches

I honestly didn't think for a second that this would be something that I'd have a problem finding

just assumed I type black acetate sheet into eBay & boom :lol

I'm guessing the plastic needs to be pretty thin to bend to the inside of the helmet

4. Country Paul

Country Paul Sr Member

Searched for face shields, goggle lenses, welders masks but so far nothing suitable either too thick or not tinted

went round the DIY store & Halfords today

I found this DIY Limo Tint window film

colour is right & its flexible, figuring it should work? The helmet is just gonna sit up on a high shelf anyway

Attached Files:

5. widescreen

widescreen Well-Known Member

6. clown3y

clown3y New Member

Sorry for digging this thread out but i didn't want to open a new one for something this simple.

I decided to get one of the Rubie's First Order Stormtrooper helmets and repaint/refurbish it all over. And therefore, i really don't want to keep this mesh stuff as the visor :D

I thought i could get some kind of black-tinted film in local handcraft stores but it seems that i've been wrong with this assumption..

My father also recommended using window film but i'm pretty sure it's a little bit too thin. I don't want it to break just because i accidentally poke it a little.

What do you guys think? The answer is probably pretty easy but i just don't know what do search for.

Thank you!

7. drknotter

drknotter Active Member

Try roll up sunglasses, I used just two pairs for a junk helmet I built recently, and they worked pretty well. Plus, they're pretty cheap. :)