Lense installation help

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Badgerhunter27

Ok I bought a tinted welding shield that came flat but is flexible enough to be bend, but the problem is how do I go about shaping it b/c I have ended up using up the whole shield which was like 3 lense's worth of material, because I first tryed just pressing it in but then it would move around and glue would get all over the place and ruin it. I then tryed using my g/f hair dryer b/c I dont own a heat gun and it did make it soft enough to bend but I either bent it to much or not enough and when I went to put it in the helmet the glue does not have time to set b/c the spring effect of the visor wont keep it flat and it ends up getting glue all over the visor and its crap. So basically what I want to know is how do I shape it so that I can basically just set it in the helmet and I dont have to hold it forever trying to get it stick. I was thinking of boiling it then setting it in the helmet so it can be shaped to fit perfectly so I dont have to try and figure out a way to keep pressure on it in time for the glue to set.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

marshon

Ok I bought a tinted welding shield that came flat but is flexible enough to be bend, but the problem is how do I go about shaping it b/c I have ended up using up the whole shield which was like 3 lense's worth of material, because I first tryed just pressing it in but then it would move around and glue would get all over the place and ruin it. I then tryed using my g/f hair dryer b/c I dont own a heat gun and it did make it soft enough to bend but I either bent it to much or not enough and when I went to put it in the helmet the glue does not have time to set b/c the spring effect of the visor wont keep it flat and it ends up getting glue all over the visor and its crap. So basically what I want to know is how do I shape it so that I can basically just set it in the helmet and I dont have to hold it forever trying to get it stick. I was thinking of boiling it then setting it in the helmet so it can be shaped to fit perfectly so I dont have to try and figure out a way to keep pressure on it in time for the glue to set.
Try using a spring clamp like this:

Fitting the lenses

FMECBB1GJC3T667.MEDIUM.jpg

The clamp does not need to be very strong it only has to hold the curve while the glue sets. I used hot melt and ran a bead round the edges.
Hope that helps.