Large Scale TOS Enterprise Kit

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Dave S, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Hi Everyone. I wanted to share some pics of the prototype of my large scale Enterprise that I intend to kit (in small numbers). The model is right about 71" in length. The primary hull is laid up in 4 layers of carbon fiber that is done through a vacuum bag infusion process. The saucer you see is from the actual parts our of the mold. The rest of the parts are all casting masters that have yet to be created. The entire hull will be carbon fiber including the nacelles. It will be quite light for its size but but very rigid and stable. all of the detail components will be either cast resin parts or in some cases 3D printed such as the bridge and shuttle bay. IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_3118.JPG IMG_3109.JPG IMG_3111.JPG

budashlock, OV Arrow, Lee S and 9 others like this.
  2. spockboy

spockboy Well-Known Member

OMG.
    Beautiful job.
    How much sir?

:)Spockboy

3. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Thank you! I'm not sure about cost yet. I still have much of the molding and casting to do and I need to outsource some things like lighting kits, markings or paint masks and acid etched parts as well. Basically I still need to get a better idea of what my own costs will be. I am not even going to consider how much time I already have in it....

4. spockboy

Sounds great!
    It really looks fantastic.
    I've been looking at the Enterprise for so * long now, that I can (as I am sure a lot of people here can) instantly tell whether or not it is accurate.
    Looks perfect.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  5. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Good heavens that's beautiful! And it's right where it belongs on your wife's kitchen counter!

6. Jkirkon

Jkirkon Well-Known Member

Yep. That's one sure way to make her mad!!

7. yaris

yaris Sr Member

I don't even like ST, but the scale and detail is awesome...well done sir;)

Junk Pilot likes this.
  8. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is gorgeous! It's great to have another option for a large scale Enterprise. I soooo want to have one that scale some day. Are those grid lines I see?!! Very "Trials and Tribble-ations" nailing it to the Jein model. I remember seeing one of the Jein replicas at the Viacom store in Chicago years ago.

Outstanding work, sir!

9. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I know it's not perfect, but like someone once said," the best documentation always shows up when the model is finished" I know some will hate me for it, but I did do some understated grid lines. With a model this large, it felt just has to have some sort of detail on it! These can be easily filled by the purist. I was also thinking of how difficult it will be to mark these properly without an elaborate jig. I'm sure that now the Smithsonian has finished its restoration some other inaccuracies will show up, but hey it's a 6 foot Enterprise!!! Funny thing about this project, I spent months digital modeling everything and was worried it wasn't going to be big and impressive enough. When you see the pictures it still doesn't relay how imposing this model really is... I hope whoever buys them realizes the amount of space it's going to occupy!!

spockboy likes this.
  10. Dave S

Dave S New Member

The saucer is the first part to be produced here are some pics of the process. This is where the carbon fiber is being infused. BagSetUp1.JPG BagSetUp2.JPG carbon layup.JPG FirstLayup.JPG

11. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Oh and for those interested, I created the patterns for the upper and lower saucer molds using the plaster and rotating template technique like they did for the original. Not for purism although that's a bonus, but because that still is the best way to make them!!!

spockboy likes this.
  12. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thank you for sharing pics of the process! (Is that an Albatross wing I see in the background?)

13. spockboy

[video=vimeo;170848748]https://vimeo.com/170848748[/video]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    dcarty likes this.
  14. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Dude - its Freakin' gorgeous... I'd like to build one just so I can say that I did :)

Jedi Dade

kokkari likes this.
  15. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Yes excellent catch Dcarty it is an Albatross wing!

16. joberg

joberg Master Member

Wow! Quite the beast you have there! Looking very good and very sturdy, using carbon fiber is an excellent idea.

17. Gort

Gort Well-Known Member

That looks gorgeous. Those kitchen worktop shots definitely suggest the impact and presence this model must have in person. Your manufacturing approach is also very impressive and indicates this will be a real quality kit.

What sort of timescale are you on to produce the kit... so I can decide which body part/s I need to sell in preparation for getting one?

Nick

Junk Pilot and spockboy like this.
  18. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

OMG, that is beautiful.

Originally I wasn't too fond of TOS Enterprise but it has been growing on me over the past few years. Now I see this and wish I could afford it, even without know the final cost. But the size is great
    .BIG!

19. spockboy

20. spockboy

Any more pics?

Thanks,

21. Dave S

Dave S New Member

IMG_3117.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_3084 - Copy.JPG IMG_3085 - Copy.JPG

22. Dave S

Dave S New Member

23. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dave, great work. Really great work. There is always the strive to perfection. You are firmly on the path my friend. It looks fantastic and please do not be put off if someone makes comments on how to perfect your creation. If its beautiful to you, then its perfect. From what I see.........it is as close to perfection that I can get.

Cheers and welcome.

Kevin Thomas likes this.
  24. spockboy

OMG Dave,

25. Muzza

Muzza Well-Known Member

Well done Dave it looks brilliant.

Murray

26. CAPTAINCOX

CAPTAINCOX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That Bridge and Shuttlebay takes 1st Prize! I am slowly starting my Polar Lights 1:350 TOS and seeing this makes me really Jealous :)

27. joberg

joberg Master Member

WHOOOT????:eek:eek:cool

28. adinelt

adinelt Jr Member

I usually don't comment on here, but *! That is absolutely beautiful!

29. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Thanks again everyone! I really want this to be a unique, special and high-quality kit. I know with its large size and correspondingly large price tag it will have to be for a niche group, quite honestly I don't even know where I'm gonna put mine!

30. spockboy

I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I say we would love to see even more pics of the process/final ship if you have any.

Thanks again,

Kevin Thomas likes this.
  31. CAPTAINCOX

CAPTAINCOX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am slowly running in to that problem as well...maybe time to get a bigger flat for bigger toys :) But I am seriously interested in your amazing Kit! Cant wait to see more of the progress...Brilliant.

spockboy likes this.
  32. VFX Freak

VFX Freak Well-Known Member

That is truly incredible! My bank account is relieved that I don't have the space for this beast, but it would be a dream to build something that scale. You've obviously poured your heart and soul into her, well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spockboy likes this.
  33. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

Just saw this post. I'm floored. I looks gorgeous!

34. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

Did you choose 71 inches so that comes out "N" scale?

35. OV Arrow

OV Arrow New Member

WOW, Nice ship size!!

36. animator

animator Active Member

All I want for Christmas is this!

I'm sure I won't be able to afford this kit, but this looks amazing. This looks like a grail item.

37. Aztek Dummy

Aztek Dummy Well-Known Member

Dave,
    I'll throw my hat into the ring as far as the markings go. I currently produce them in vinyl for the 66" version and it would be a simple upscale to make them fit yours.

asalaw likes this.
  38. spockboy

Beautiful kit!
    When will we see more?

39. spockboy

Any news at all?
    Looking forward to any new pictures you might have :)

Amazing job.

40. Optimistic Geom

Optimistic Geom Member

That's a beautiful model, really impressive! I've never seen one made of carbon fibre before, what's the process? Where do you even get the material and machines to do it? :O

41. publiusr

publiusr Active Member

42. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Hi Lou, I would love to take you up on your offer to upscale the 66" TOS enterprise markings/ paint masks for me

43. Aztek Dummy

Aztek Dummy Well-Known Member

44. MustangGTR1

MustangGTR1 Well-Known Member

That is cool as hell.

45. Dave S

Dave S New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I know it has been a while since I updated my progress. I am very happy to announce the kit is done, and I am ready to begin shipping completed kits! Here are some pics of one of the kits getting packed up and ready to go out. Image5resized.jpg Image6resized.jpg Image3resized.jpg Image4resized.jpg Image8resized.jpg

Kevin Thomas, animator, KUROK and 5 others like this.
  46. usaeatt2

usaeatt2 Member

WOW! How much and where do I sign up?

spockboy likes this.
  47. tammimars

tammimars Jr Member

Wow. Thats huge. Im interrested. I have the polarlights enterprise A but its small in compariarison.[​IMG]

Skickat från min S8 via Tapatalk

48. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

This is s dream project!! Looks awesome so far, looking forward to updates. :)

49. joberg

joberg Master Member

This is huge!! Very cool model for sure!

50. Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas New Member

Hi Dave, I saw your kit for the first time while watching TrekWorks on YouTube earlier this week. Superb modeler Boyd Compton was sharing his enthusiasm and plans for recording the stages to his up-coming build of this fantastic model. I could not believe that I was seeing what I was seeing. Every part he displayed during his video caused my simple utterance of "Holy Crap!" I wanted to thank you for creating such a wonderful replica, it is an absolute beautiful piece of work Sir. I would also like to get an update from you as to the status of this model (some more images, if possible) and how to go about purchasing it or at least confirming weather or not I'll be able to afford it. Thanks again. Wow, it's truly something.

Buliwif, WarPig and stevielewis like this.