Large scale De-Boers Enterprise 1701 is finally done.

Flyscriber

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
HI Folks.
So, i dont really know where to start on this. I was asked to put together this Enterprise by a client. He wanted a very detailed paint study of the 1701 Motion Picture version. NO lights, just the crazy pearls paint job as it would have been before it was dulled down on set to reduce reflections etc.
So i did my due dilligence, check every reference i could, which is quite hard for the 1701 as not many decent images were taken of it. I listened to nearly all the interviews online with Paul Olsen and the crew who painted it in the first place, just to get some idea of the procedure.
It was decided early on to try and increase the detail a little, so with this in mind the paint job was "amped up" a bit.

The build went slowly, the model needed some major surgery and mods to get it strong enough to last, and straight enough to show off. So i designed an internal armature to support the pylons and the engines.
internal fuselage armature 4.jpg

SAM_3845.JPG

SAM_3922.JPG

Once this internal structure was fitted, it was decided that some lighting was needed. So with the internal space completely rammed with metal armature, and designed without thought for the lighting, i crammed as many fibres in there as i could.
SAM_4631.JPG

due5l.jpeg

SAM_4659.JPG

I know the lighting isnt 100 percent as it is missing nav lights and some others, but the client has no worries with this as he prefers his models to be unlit for display.

Other additions are 3d printed top bridge section, 3d printed outer edges to the saucer. from Ian Laurence (RIP), completely recast pylons with an 8mm steel internal armature for a no bend future, and a fair amount more which i cant remember just now.

The painting has taken over 6 months to complete with many many layers of pearl paints over grey detailing and base coats. I wont lie, it has been a real mission, this model nearly broke me over the two years i had it on the bench. The pearls are simply an insane time consumer, as the surface is completely festooned with 5 colours of pearls. heres the base coat with the first layer of grey Aztec designs going on.
SAM_5022.JPG

Lower saucer section with grey Aztec and other details
SAM_5039.JPG

I think it's fair to say that this ship has a lot of love from everyone, and also has a lot of very discerning fans who will spot things they don't like, little things which may be a little off. Believe me there are reasons for this, from dodgy decals, to resin parts which simple didn't like paint and shed everything each time they were touched. It's fair to say, this beasty fought me every step of the way.

Here is a final image of the ship. One thing of note which really made my day was Paul Olsen letting me know how he loved this. If you dont know who Paul Olsen is, he's the guy who painted the pearls onto the original 1701 filming miniature. It has been great to touch base with him, and to get such an endorsement on this. I feel i can relax about this one now.

Over the next few days i will post more images the build procedure, just in case your interested to see what it needed, and why it took sooooo darn long.
andy preston Enterprise build and paint lower front.jpg

andy preston Enterprise build and side right.jpg

Theres also a comprehensive video series that ive put together about the build, please check it out if you fancy seeing it go together over the months.

Thanks everyone, Happy modelling.

Easily one of the best refit paint jobs I've ever seen. Really nice work. Yup, building a refit is a widowmaker project, no doubt about it. It doesn't help that even the best available kits require major surgery, tons of replacement parts, and internal bracing -- to make no mention of the insane amount of lights, half of them requiring some sort of circuitry to make them "play" (blink, strobe, glow, dim...) or the paint job that even under the best of circumstances takes weeks if not months (years?) to complete. To not only get it done but to nail the subtlety of the tones and contrasts in right balance with the lights makes this PhD-level work. Congrats! I hate you. :lol:

I watched your entire build series and loved it all. Your work is exceptional and you should be really proud of this refit. It's gorgeous in every way.

Easily one of the best refit paint jobs I've ever seen. Really nice work. Yup, building a refit is a widowmaker project, no doubt about it. It doesn't help that even the best available kits require major surgery, tons of replacement parts, and internal bracing -- to make no mention of the insane amount of lights, half of them requiring some sort of circuitry to make them "play" (blink, strobe, glow, dim...) or the paint job that even under the best of circumstances takes weeks if not months (years?) to complete. To not only get it done but to nail the subtlety of the tones and contrasts in right balance with the lights makes this PhD-level work. Congrats! I hate you. :lol:
Thank you so much. I think i came close to being dissowned by the wife a few times ;). Its the only model she's cried with relief over when i had finished it. :lol:

HAHA. Thank you so much. I cant lie, it was a mission and a half to get it looking "right". ish. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back