Lando and Boba Fett question...

niennumb1

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I tried doing some searching, but didn't find anything readily available to read about this. Here I am almost 37 years old now wondering something I never questioned until about 2 weeks ago (do you ever have moments where questions hit you suddenly, haha!).

My son (almost 4) REALLY loves all of the Jabba's Palace stuff in Return of the Jedi and I was watching that segment with him and it made me wonder something about Boba Fett. We know when Leia is discovered to be the person behind the mask rescuing Han, Jabba asks Lando to bring her to him. While not in translated text, you hear him say, "LONDO..." So obviously Jabba knows it's Lando, but Boba Fett doesn't appear to be alarmed.

Doesn't Boba Fett know Lando turned against the Empire and tried to get Han back before he could make off with the carbonite? If that is the case, then wouldn't Fett have reason to believe Lando's presence is very suspicious and that he needed to be dealt with? Was Fett already suspicious, but playing it cool and keeping Jabba informed to watch his back? Did they know the rebels had to be involved when suddenly Chewie shows up in shackles?

I know this is a movie and shouldn't probably be thinking too far into it, but something seems foggy to me as to why Boba Fett's demeanor and action was so calm and unconcerned for Lando's presence there. So why would Lando go from being a leader in the city of Bespin to a skiff guard in Jabba's palace?

Maybe Jabba didn't say 'Lando', and it just sounded that way in what he said before asking him to bring Leia to him.

The toy indicates he was wearing a "disguise" which to me translates as hidden without intent to be known, but they seemed to know him by name per Jabba.

or maybe the name Lando is kinda common in the universe? HAHAH!

Sorry for the bit of a rant here. I'm more curious and interested to know! I would think Boba would have wanted to cap Lando given his involvement with the rebels getting in the way of his business and his reluctance to cooperate with the Empire in his presence alongside Vader in ESB.

I'd have to watch again but I was always under the impression Lando wasn't "discovered/unveiled" until the battle over the Sarlacc.

I am reasonable sure that he is in disguise and your reading into it a little to much. I think Chewy being brought in and then the "ambush" when she get Han out is more on par with Boba being like hey something is up.

Funny, I've never thought of that, haha. But, Fett presumably got paid for bringing Han to Jabba. So he probably doesn't care if he escapes. He'll just catch him again and make more money.

Even if they didn't know, you would think at some point Boba Fett might recognize Lando

Of course we might be giving Fett too much credit here considering his bumbling demise at the Sarlac pit ::lol

Really it's just par for the course regarding how badly they botched his character in the movie compared to how he was perceived in Empire

he kind of became a joke

They probably didn't know Leia was Leia until she came to get Han out of the carbonite, but assumed that she was trying to rip them off by trying to take Han. And since Lando wears a helmet that has a mask that covers most of his face, maybe Boba Fett couldn't recognize him by his eyes alone (didn't it take a close-up to show us, the audience, that it was Lando or could we tell before it was revealed?), or Lando did an excellent job at blending in so that he didn't stand out for Boba Fett to recognize him.

I could be wrong on this assessment, but I'm tossing out the possibility out there.

Of course we might be giving Fett too much credit here considering his bumbling demise at the Sarlac pit ::lol
he kind of became a joke

BLASPHEMY!!! But yeah they(George) really screwed up in writing his character for Return. GRRRRR!

Why would Boba even be there, he is a bounty hunter, shouldn't he be out hunting bounties?

The only thing worse is his appearance in the "special" edition of ANH, where he pretty much looks straight in the camera as if to say "Yeah, its me again"

I mean if he is just permanently on Jabba's payroll, how would he even be available for Vader when he assembled a team of bounty hunters in ESB?

Why would Boba even be there, he is a bounty hunter, shouldn't he be out hunting bounties?

The only thing worse is his appearance in the "special" edition of ANH, where he pretty much looks straight in the camera as if to say "Yeah, its me again"

I mean if he is just permanently on Jabba's payroll, how would he even be available for Vader when he assembled a team of bounty hunters in ESB?

Jabba seems like the kind of slug that would be loyal to the Empire, as long as it kept him in business. But then again, maybe not.

Maybe the reason why Boba's there is because it's the closest thing to a lead he has in finding Han Solo, so he decides to make a deal with Vader with Jabba's permission, since all Vader wants is Luke Skywalker, it would be a simple thing to just get rid of Han by handing him over as long as he can get Skywalker in the process.

It's possible that Jabba paid to hang around for a bit and Boba decided to go along with it because he had nothing else pressing at the moment and/or Jabba was paying him handsomely to stick around or maybe Jabba hired him on to be his chief enforcer or something like that.

It's possible that Jabba paid to hang around for a bit and Boba decided to go along with it because he had nothing else pressing at the moment and/or Jabba was paying him handsomely to stick around or maybe Jabba hired him on to be his chief enforcer or something like that.

^^ Always thought that was it. "Hey, good job, stick around and help with security for a bit".

As for Lando, I always just assumed that "Londo" was a word in Huttese, not associated with the person he called at all.

Boba is hanging out at the huts joint since he gets jobs there. Jabba are crime lords and have a huge operation through out the galaxy. It would make sense that he could be jabba's ace at taken care of business. Kill, bring in, shake down people and what ever else that needs to be done. Even tho he really sucks at it and basically useless on most levels. It's his job and everyone needs a job. The empire called in all best bounty hunters for the job. So you wash the empires hand and they wash yours. Plus maybe he was on vacation, you know get his toes in the sand.

The line in Huttese is "Luncho, koos lee-at nigh!" For what it's worth. ;)

--Jonah

Wow... well that changes things, haha! I could swear I always heard the intended names of Lando and Leia in there, but just so happened two of the huttese words sounded similar.

if that is the case then I guess I would have to throw out my OP on the confusion. 'Jedi' has always been my favorite personally and have seen it hundreds of times. I don't know why all of the sudden this concern clicked to mind, but I am always interested to learn new things about something I never knew about these films.

I'm wondering what horrible thing Lando had to do to get in that place to be one of Jabba's close guards. Or maybe the creatures were just that dumb to not notice they were able to take down the dude who previously wore the garb and just figured nothing ever happened.

That untold story is the only reason I can accept a year and a half between Empire and Jedi. How much it must have taken to get a man on the inside.

--Jonah

I wonder why Luke waited a year and a half to go back and see Yoda? After the revelation of his Dad being Vader, you would think his first thing to do would be to head back to Dagoba and find out WTF is up with that.....or at least phone him.

Even if Jabba knew Lando's name, he wouldn't have any reason to tell Boba Fett. It's not like Fett's some kind of close confidant of Jabba's, he's just a hired gun. Lando just had to make sure to keep a low profile whenever Fett was around, since he would have recognized him.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back