Léon: The Professional

Westies14

Master Member
Finally, two decades after I started wondering what they were, I've found a pair of Léon's glasses.

IMG_0970.JPG

I've loved this movie since it was released on home video, since I was too young to drive myself to the theater to see it. It was apparently written and produced during a delay on production of the Fifth Element - writer/director Luc Besson didn't want to stop working and lose his momentum. Perhaps that's why the film's got such a unique character and voice. It was written, shot, and edited so quickly that it never had a chance to be overthought or overworked (aside from hacking out large chunks of it to tiptoe around the sensitivities of American audiences in its US release).

I always thought that if I had one prop to represent Léon in my collection, the glasses were something iconic enough that they could stand on their own. They do! It's awesome to see them in person, straight out of the story. But now I kind of want to build his toolbox and find an accurate beanie, of course. Anyone know where to best start looking for those? I've seen many suggestions on the forum, but it becomes difficult to weed out what's been established about each vendor. Some of the links were plainly cosplay sort of stuff, which isn't what I'm looking for. Are there accurate beanies or toolbox plans out there anywhere that you know of?

Thanks!

Those are definitely iconic enough to stand alone as a prop. I love the movie, though I have only seen the standard cut on DVD. I'd love to put a pair of those up on the shelf, shoot me a PM if you'd be willing to share the specs on the "specs". ;)

A source of the wool beanie:
http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2945&language=en

Nice folks to deal with.

As to the shooter's case, I haven't found a match, but you might look at Huey Cases to get an idea.

airhead

Nice folks to deal with - but how accurate is the beanie? Thanks for the tip on the cases!

Those are definitely iconic enough to stand alone as a prop. I love the movie, though I have only seen the standard cut on DVD. I'd love to put a pair of those up on the shelf, shoot me a PM if you'd be willing to share the specs on the "specs". ;)

The model is public knowledge; I'm happy to share it again here! The original glasses are Junior Gaultier model no. 58-0072 (not 68-0072 as you'll find in some threads). Unfortunately, that makes them designer glasses from circa 1993. Expensive even when new, produced in low runs for a short span of time over twenty years ago. They come in several color variations, including a sort of tortoise-shell opaque black. There's an amber variation which is translucent like these, and I believe a clear yellow frame which I've only seen with blue lenses with a small circular mirrored section. Sadly, the clear frames are rumored to be the rarest of them all and my long search would seem to confirm that. I've seen the wrong colors come up more than once.

The closest glasses on today's market are probably these guys:
http://www.blackeyewear.com/product/chico-2/chico-clear-crystal-s/

No gold wire insert or hinges, but the shape looks good and they're clear untinted frames!

The original glasses from the film were sold at auction a couple years ago for $8,320 - you can check that listing out here:
http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/79/lot/31619/

A source of the wool beanie:
http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2945&language=en

Nice folks to deal with.

As to the shooter's case, I haven't found a match, but you might look at Huey Cases to get an idea.

airhead

Just took a close look at the hat, and I think the hunt is still on. The movie beanie has a looser weave throughout, and some deep, wide ribs at the bottom where it's rolled. I took some screen grabs for comparison:

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.17.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.14.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.13.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.13.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.12.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.07.51 PM.png

Could be. I got one for my son last year and it is close. No rolled "cuff" and well made. I'll be interested to see what you can turn up.

Another thing to look at is a Pachmayr Deluxe pistol case. It's not Leon's, but it would be in the same aisle.

David

Has anyone come up with an i.d. on the screen-used pistol case? Is it a French design or maybe a modified found case?

David

The pistol case has been a white whale for me forever. I haven't found it after hundreds of searches. It very well might be custom. Here's some pix.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously want one of these. May make one at some point next year.I've collected airsoft versions of many of the pistols.

Attachments

• PDVD_181.jpg
    PDVD_181.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,044
  • PDVD_186.jpg
    PDVD_186.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,252
  • PDVD_183.jpg
    PDVD_183.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,127
  • PDVD_210.jpg
    PDVD_210.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,346
  • PDVD_189.jpg
    PDVD_189.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 962
  • PDVD_188.jpg
    PDVD_188.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,098
  • PDVD_225.jpg
    PDVD_225.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 901
  • PDVD_224.jpg
    PDVD_224.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 926
  • PDVD_221.jpg
    PDVD_221.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,137
  • PDVD_226.jpg
    PDVD_226.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,788
Seriously want one of these. May make one at some point next year.I've collected airsoft versions of many of the pistols.

Been wanting one too but replica pistols are hard to find in Uk.
Had thought about making one and filling it with all my sci fi guns after I seen you make the case for blade runner pistol.

The pistol case has been a white whale for me forever. I haven't found it after hundreds of searches. It very well might be custom. Here's some pix.

- - - Updated - - -

The Pachmayr-style pistol range cases look like a much better design with the "finger" able to clamp the barrels in place for transit. If I remember, there is a show of Leon's case where it looks like there is a "plug" that would fit into the grip of an automatic with the magazine removed, but the revolvers would just rattle around. Makes me think that it was a custom for the film. Certainly, all the attachments for silencers, grenades, etc. wouldn't have been a standard item.

The overall case design almost seems poor with the top being secured with a luggage clasp and the two straps to hold all that steel and lead. Leon had retro-fitted a lunchbox for the 45 and the violin case, so it would make sense to use a found piece of luggage, maybe a salesman's case?

David

I would try to search these terms. Truck Case. Train Case, Vintage Tool Case with Straps, Makeup Case, Travel Case Trunk Suitcase.
Below are some finds with the term Train/Trunk case. It would make sense for the lock and strap

Find a site that has makers marks, if you look on the photo with the lock where the key goes there is a logo or marking of some kind. The link has makers marks also parts to make trunk case most seem very similar to the case in the movie.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/

Quick Search for Train/Trunk Case
Leather Trunk Suitcase .jpgmake up case.jpgTrain Case.jpgTravel Case Make Up Case.jpgVintage Train Case.jpg

About a year ago in an auction, I saw this vintage leather travel writing desk and immediately thought of the Leon case.

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/90/lot/38773/

lot127730.jpg

lot127732.jpg

It's a really rare design and I haven't found another since. :(

The best hope would be to custom build one.

There was a run of Gun Cases being custom made by a guy working with Adam Savage a few months ago. They were pretty pricey but promised to be super accurate. Haven't seen anything on that since it passed through.

About a year ago in an auction, I saw this vintage leather travel writing desk and immediately thought of the Leon case.

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/90/lot/38773/

View attachment 405488

View attachment 405489

It's a really rare design and I haven't found another since. :(

The best hope would be to custom build one.

There was a run of Gun Cases being custom made by a guy working with Adam Savage a few months ago. They were pretty pricey but promised to be super accurate. Haven't seen anything on that since it passed through.

I think you may be on the right track, http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6939452
box2_zps4506ee08.jpg

Very similar looking case

box2_zps4506ee08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a gun expert - is it safe to assume the film guns were real rather than airsoft? Are the airsoft versions accurate in size/scale?

If anyone can post dimensions from any of the pistols inside the case, I'll start drafting up a first pass at a pattern for the box!

Check these out! Definitely looking in the right direction. Include "travelling desk" and "writing box" in your future searches!

047-7.jpg bc034f2f115aedd265ecc09b9c8a5a37.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back