Limited Run Kylo Ren Run Cast Helmet Taking Full Payments

I just received my Alu Cold cast and it just looks like gray plastic? I don't have a lot of experience with this material, but I was surprised that it didn't look silver or like it had any metal in it? Did I have unrealistic expectations?

I just received my Alu Cold cast and it just looks like gray plastic? I don't have a lot of experience with this material, but I was surprised that it didn't look silver or like it had any metal in it? Did I have unrealistic expectations?

You have to buff out the shine. Get some steel wool

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

I'm not sure the exact process used for the cold-casting, but since you say you haven't had experience with it before, just want to point out that you should be careful with the steel wool.

Depending on the cold-casting, the aluminum layer may not be very thick (it really doesn't need much, to be effective).

First, lightly hit it with 0000 steel wool, keeping in mind that you're not sanding, you're polishing. Follow that with a buff/polish using Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish. Or your favorite other aluminum polish, but I know Mothers works great.

I'm not sure the exact process used for the cold-casting, but since you say you haven't had experience with it before, just want to point out that you should be careful with the steel wool.

Depending on the cold-casting, the aluminum layer may not be very thick (it really doesn't need much, to be effective).

First, lightly hit it with 0000 steel wool, keeping in mind that you're not sanding, you're polishing. Follow that with a buff/polish using Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish. Or your favorite other aluminum polish, but I know Mothers works great.

Thanks for the heads up. What should I expect from this process? Can it look like polished metal? It's not something in the entire mixture but only something "applied" to the outside?

Thanks for the heads up. What should I expect from this process? Can it look like polished metal? It's not something in the entire mixture but only something "applied" to the outside?

No problem! Yes, it will look exactly like polished metal, because it essentially is. :)

You might check with Saberbay, but these are typically done either by dusting the metal powder on the surface of the mold, and then adding in resin, or mixing the powder in the resin first. Or, a combination of both.

Last edited by a moderator:
The outter layer of resin has a half pound of aluminum powder in it.

with steel wool and mineral
spirits it's can shine

INVOICES SENT,
If paid By the 25th Will Ship By the 30th Of this Month

1)
Boba_wolf x 1 Alu Cold cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT
2)Sactrooper x 1 Alu Cold Cast FINAL INVOICE SENT
3)SIERRA117 x 1 Alu Cold Cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT
4)Khal- x 1 Alu Coldcast FINAL INVOICE SENT
5)Jedi_Rainman x 1 Alu Cold Cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT

6)
joeed29 x 1 Alu Cold Cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT
7)Rialto x 1 Alu Cold Cast FINAL INVOICE SENT
8)ECOLI x 1 Alu Cold Cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT
9)
arcana x 1 Alu Cold Cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT
10)Azrael69 x 1 Alu Cold Cast FINAL INVOICE SENT

11)
Paggeldiwwer x 1 Alu Coldcast
FINAL INVOICE SENT
12)Paulc0407 x 1 Alu Coldcast FINAL INVOICE SENT
13)Darth Gius x 1 Cold Cast Alu
FINAL INVOICE SENT14)Harribon x 1 Alu Cold Cast FINAL INVOICE SENT

15)Gsun101 x 1 Alu Cold Cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT
16)
dejordzta x 1 Alu Cold Cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT
17)Crusader91 x 1 Alu Cold Cast
FINAL INVOICE SENT18)Lt Page x Alu Cold Cast FINAL INVOICE SENT

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've heard, alclad chrome is the best for the, well, chrome/metal area, and I forget the brand, but a dark gun metal grey/black hammer paint for the rest of the bucket will get you something close to whats been seen.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back