Kyle Reese Vandals

Are these based on the originals or the ones from the new Terminator film? Apparently there differences.

Are these based on the originals or the ones from the new Terminator film? Apparently there differences.

"Costume designer Susan Matheson encountered trouble looking for brand new Nike Vandal shoes that Kyle Reese wears in the 1984 sequence. Her search online and other various avenues mostly had second-hand and worn Vandals for sale. For months, she approached Nike with the request of manufacturing that specific model of shoes but Nike wanted her to design an ID with an Air-Force base. Matheson refused because being a person with knowledge of sneakers, she did not want to feel guilty of cheating the audience, especially eagle-eye fans of the first film who can spot the difference between those two bases. It was only after intervention by Paramount that Nike agreed to shutdown production and manufactured 25 pairs of Vandals solely for this film, in what is called as Matheson's greatest personal moment in this film." -IMDB

Last edited by a moderator:
"Costume designer Susan Matheson encountered trouble looking for brand new Nike Vandal shoes that Kyle Reese wears in the 1984 sequence. Her search online and other various avenues mostly had second-hand and worn Vandals for sale. For months, she approached Nike with the request of manufacturing that specific model of shoes but Nike wanted her to design an ID with an Air-Force base. Matheson refused because being a person with knowledge of sneakers, she did not want to feel guilty of cheating the audience, especially eagle-eye fans of the first film who can spot the difference between those two bases. It was only after intervention by Paramount that Nike agreed to shutdown production and manufactured 25 pairs of Vandals solely for this film, in what is called as Matheson's greatest personal moment in this film." -IMDB

Yeah I read that too, but have to question a few things - really shut NIKE's schedule for just 25 pairs?

In the cinema, you just don't get that good a look at the shoes.

Sure they recreated the scenes well, but the way he holds the shoe to his foot for a size match is different to the way MB did it as well as the way to does the strap up when hiding in the change room. Later when he takes the shoes off, you don't get a great look then either. I guess there will be some pausing of the Blu-ray when it comes out.

As for eagle eyes spotting difference with the shoes, look at the infamous NIKE MAG from BTTF2 vs the HC version and it is amazing how many people think (or want to believe) they are the same.

I

Last edited by a moderator:
I was fortunate enough to score a pair directly from Nike on the first day. Although there are minor differences, these sneakers are actually more accurate to the 1984 originals than the ones made for Genisys. Read more about that here:

http://m.solecollector.com/news/nike-vandal-terminator-genisys-costume-designer/

I wish they had kept the tread black and I'll likely paint the gray canvas strip on the heel black. But its hard to nitpick when your second favorite sneaker of all time is made again.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back