Kurtyboy Archives, 6 Aug: help with rotj vader MOM saber

Re: Kurtyboy Archives, 16 July: Vader RotJ Saber upgrades!

This is what I came up with and the only thing I could think of :

In the graflex bottom there's an opening used to secure the bottom to the graflex clamp by means of a twist ... suppose the screws which you have added now, as per original screen used lightsaber prop, are secured in this slot but slightly to large in size, hence forcing the slot to open up more and thus creating that gap for the outer black clamp sleeve ... I gather these thoughts based upon your second picture where you can notice just a little bit of the lip of the graflex slot to secure the twist. I am aware I may not use the proper names, still I think with a real graflex bottom in hand one can imagine my reasoning, eventhough it is still mere speculation on my part.

-Chaim

Last edited:
Re: Kurtyboy Archives, 16 July: Vader RotJ Saber upgrades!

I must be blind cos with the parts in front of me I cannot form anything that looks like the above photo. And also worth noting is that the two Graflex halves are not pressed against each other - in order to get the correct grip length they have to remain approximately 8mm apart. I think one of the edges showing in the gap is the bottom edge of the white plastic inner tube that is used to attach the two halves.

And even more screwy is that that's either not a real Graflex bottom shell, or it has been cut down. You can see what appears to be the end of it under the grips meaning approximately 20mm has been cut off the top.

stepdown1.jpg

Kurtyboy Archives, 25 July: Jabba's guard DL18 blaster

Well I guess I'm at a sticking point with the Vader RotJ saber so I moved onto something else.

Here's how I left my Jabba's guard blaster a few years ago:
kbjabba1.jpg

kbjabba2.jpg

kbjabba3.jpg

kbjabba4.jpg

kbjabba5.jpg

I was really just missing the scope. But thanks to those two fine German gentlemen; Odiwan72 and Lichtbringer, I had my scope. All that's really left is painting and weathering.
kbjabba6.jpg

kbjabba7.jpg

kbjabba8.jpg

Re: Kurtyboy Archives 14 March: Alien(s) stuff

Did anyone ever figure out exactly what's going on here?
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/Props/vrotjslots-2.jpg

I have tried various positions but can't get it to match. There might be something else under there but I don't know what and I did look at the old thread but still couldn't get it to look right.

We know that theres some kind of tubing added to the INSIDE of the MoM saber right?!
You can see this at the rectangular slot on the left side of the upper shell and the hole for the glass-eye....

Now look at the section under the clamp again...see that there´s a gap between the control-box and the inner tube, while there´s NO gap where the end of the control-box rests on the actual "graflex (?)" bottom!?

IMHO the prop dept used indeed either a shortened graflex bottom OR indeed just a piece of metal tubing (would explain the weird end-cap assembly as well vs. a normal Graflex bottom) for the lower part of the saber.
The upper section was attached with by sliding the inner (PVC/ metal) tube -which they used to have something to secure the hex-screws to into the rear section, covering it up with a midband and bolting it together through the control-box.

216949-mom-slot.JPG

Markus

Last edited:
Re: Kurtyboy Archives, 25 July: Jabba's guard DL18 blaster project

Something like this (sorry, only have MS paint at work :() :

a) IF the "lip" is part of the inner tube (unlikely)
216950-mom-slot2.JPG

b) IF the "lip" is part of the repro or cut down Graflex bottom
216951-mom-slot3.JPG

The fact that you see TWO slots is just an optical illusion, created by the edge of the bottom -graflex- tube that produces a shadow on the actual INNER tube.

Markus

Last edited:

Ha ... well guys as much as I love recreating MoM versions of lightsabers ... I also know that most of them have been tinkered with just before they went on exhibit ... so either you want to figure this issue above out ... or make the best of it and leave the gap out, since I don't supect it was there during filming of the ROTJ production anyways. As the propmakers used to say : 'Don't make it real, make it believeable!'

-Chaim

Option 2 would make sense if there wasn't a visible step down on the bottom shell under the grips. Unless there is a tube within s tube, within a tube!

I like those diagrams. if it helps, I think the "disc" or "lip" is the same diameter as the back half as well, just like those diagrams. I also think there's a third layer (that falls short of the midband) underneath the grips. Which would explain the "step down." (right next to the g in Gap on that pic above)

Got all excited about my favorite saber thread being bumped... did someone find out something about the shroud!?1 The control Box!?

Nope. Inglorious Basterds?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back