KuhnGlobal TOS SS Colonial Viper

Hey Rob,
Thats why i posted those pics for everyone to see, you did a great job and as with all of the movie models the weathering was very heavy and you lose a lot of it during photography, i can even see the engine plug on the side!

Thanks for putting those up, Rob! A fine job, indeed. The reference pix help too, Jerry, thx.

This viper for Kurt will have different markings than a Galactica viper, being it's a Silver Spar from Pegasus.

Ok... Silver Spar markings are on. Note they are NOT the familiar Red/Orange of Galactica birds. Artistic license...

Also, the beginnings of weathering with the Iwata. Tomorrow weathering begins in earnest!

Very very cool Bob! I like it,very differewnt and enough of it to make it stand out.

Thanks, Jerry and Matt!

My thinking is this; just as different squadrons from different units in both the USAF and USN have different markings and paint schemes, why not fighters from Galactica and Pegasus?

Kurt mentioned one change though. The traditional red/orange markings will be changed to black. We discussed it and concluded that the orange doesn't work here. It was an experiment to see if it could still tie in to what we've seen on screen, but now we're going with a complete departure.

I would leave the gray markings alone, and just have them as standard on all vipers.
Its a shame that there wasnt any "ghost" markings like on some Navy aircraft.
It might look cool if it had a Top hat on one or a skull and crossbones or even my favorite one with the Playboy bunny on it.

That's looking real sharp Hand! Wish I had taken the time with my MIM buildup. Instead, I let the roughness and missing detail dictate where the battle damage was to be. LOL.

That's looking real sharp Hand! Wish I had taken the time with my MIM buildup. Instead, I let the roughness and missing detail dictate where the battle damage was to be. LOL.

LOL! We think alike!

I have only begun to apply the 'makeup'. The MIM is one of those ' Four-Foot ' models. It looks best from 4 feet away. But hell... I like it just the same. To me... and maybe others can back this up or comment... but the look of the kit resembles more the full-size prop than the filming miniatures just as the old Monogram kit did.

I also have a theory about the overly-thick afterburners and their funny little holes that I filled in... could it be that some of the SS miniatures had those holes for the vapor that caused the 'turbo' effect to emerge?

I would leave the gray markings alone, and just have them as standard on all vipers.
Its a shame that there wasnt any "ghost" markings like on some Navy aircraft.
It might look cool if it had a Top hat on one or a skull and crossbones or even my favorite one with the Playboy bunny on it.

Well, if I were to go that route, I'd use this:

f14-squadron-logo-vf143.gif

The flying horse ( appropriate ) from VF-143. The 'World Famous' Pukin' Dogs! They were one of the two Tomcat outfits in CVW-7 on IKE during my two deployments aboard her in '90 - '92.

In fact, that's not a bad idea! I'll run it by Kurt. Thanks, Jerry!

Playboy bunny.... you mean VX-4? That would be cool for an all-black viper....

Last edited:
I also have a theory about the overly-thick afterburners and their funny little holes that I filled in... could it be that some of the SS miniatures had those holes for the vapor that caused the 'turbo' effect to emerge?

Your theory may well be correct. I read somewhere that liquid nitrogen was pumped over the hot bulbs to create the vapor trail.

Well, if I were to go that route, I'd use this:

f14-squadron-logo-vf143.gif

The flying horse ( appropriate ) from VF-143. The 'World Famous' Pukin' Dogs! They were one of the two Tomcat outfits in CVW-7 on IKE during my two deployments aboard her in '90 - '92.

In fact, that's not a bad idea! I'll run it by Kurt. Thanks, Jerry!

Playboy bunny.... you mean VX-4? That would be cool for an all-black viper....

Heck yeah! I remember back when (83-86) we had three carriers in the Med, and they were the Saratoga, America, Roosevelt?
And the fighter squadrons had those kind of markings.
A good place could be that area inside the stripe on the doral wing?:)

LOL! We think alike!

I have only begun to apply the 'makeup'. The MIM is one of those ' Four-Foot ' models. It looks best from 4 feet away.

---

And if I recall, what we saw on screen would have been much smaller that how this model would appear at 4' away. Or in other words, I don't recall that the camera got too terribly close to the models. Could be wrong though - its been some years!

And I think your dead right on the small holes.

Actually, the overly thick afterburners are a product of the multi generational history of the kit. And the shallow dish of the ICONS casting with that little ring in the middle is wrong.

The hero original had a piece of brass tubing lining the inside of the engines. It was a slightly smaller diameter than the foam/resin fuselage (there was a bit of a gap between the two), and the brass tubing stuck out a bit from the back end (that's how you can tell a hero from a non-hero).

The brass tube presumably acted as a heat sink for the halogen bulbs, and the holes at the inside end also allowed the liquid nitrogen vent out. If you look closely at the shot of the rear of Zack's fight just before he bites it, you can get an idea of what it looks like.

Gene

^ Yeah, Zac getting fried is a great reference shot!

I got around to doing up some Pegasus decals. The one below the canopy is actually what you see on screen. I made it from a screen cap, isolated the insignia and then made a .gif with a transparent background.

The insignia on the vert stab is my own idea based on the red and black one.

As you can see, panel work has begun!

OMG!!! :shock: That ROCKS Bob!!! :D :D

I feel like a kid at Christmas time today! :lol:

That black on the stabilizer really was the right choice. And the decals you made up are AWESOME!!! :D :D

I looked on MIM's site a few days ago and noticed that the Viper is no longer part of their selection. Being that the castings were so difficult to work with, it is not surprising.

Bob, you are doing AMAZING work of a kit that definitely needed the extra attention. ;)

Thank You My Friend! :D (y)cool:thumbsup

Here ya go, Kurt!

She's done... and ironically on Sept 17. Why is that date important? Well, exactly 29 years ago today... Sunday, Sept 17, 1978, Battlestar Galactica premiered on ABC. I remember that they kept interrupting the program to air the Arab/Israeli peace talks between Anwar Sadat of Egypt and Menahim Begin of Israel. I just wanted to watch the damn show!

If you look closely at Cain, you can see his Cravat... made of kleenex saturated with thinned white glue. I also modified the helmet best I could to reflect the Pegasus 'flying horse' insignia. All of Cain's gold braid, scrambled eggs, rank stripes and buckles are done with gold leaf.

The canopy has removable glass. It was formed of heat and smash. The kit came with a natural 'buck'... namely the form that kept the canopy in shape! The glass can be removed for photography and replaced if desired for display.

EXCELLENT!!! One DIRTY bird indeed!!! ;) Perfect to what I was hoping for! :cool

I love the nicks and scratches added! They make it look as if Cain obliterated some Raiders and flew through their chunks of wreckage just to spite them! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Creating the canopy window was very kewl! Being that my DeSanto bird has glass in it as well, I may consider leaving it in. I am still undecided. ;)

Thanks you Bob! I know working with the MIM kit wasn't exactly easy, but YOU made it presentable in the best possible way. :D

I'll eventually get some "quality" Jesse Meyers Viper kits to you to do as the regular 'Blue Squadron" from Galactica.

Thank you again! :D

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back