Kuhn Global - Studio Scale Philosophy

Kuhn Global

Sr Member
I was recently asked some advice on a piece and was complimented as being a knowlegable person on this board. I must say "thank you" for that, but I do want to make it known that I am just an average JOE with dreams just like everyone here. I am just making it happen like most are doing.

That stated,.. I thought I would share my answer about collecting Studio Scale items...

Most pieces are not widely publicized. Star Wars and Trek usually cover that realm of things. Finding a screen used prop is always the premium way to go and is usually found through those who have basically taken it (not paid for or had permission to do so) from the Studio or shop it came from. Other than that we may find castings that 1.) made their way out of the original molds through the "back door", 2.) Places like MR getting specs from the original models that don't quite make it into their production pieces, 3.) The fan made products (accurate or inaccurate as they may be). My bottom line is... what do I feel about what I obtain after all is done? It has nothing to do with what other's believe my collection to be. I always remind myself...ANYTHING YOU GET CAN BE MADE TO BE AS ACCURATE AS YOU WANT IT TO BE.
In my humble opinion any unfinished REPLICA (and that is the word of the day..lol) is only worth what it means to you to have it. For instance.. I am paying one of my guys thousands for a giant piece,.. but it will be finished and "dead on" when delivered to me. His specific 'extremely detailed' kit is $600 right now... down from the original $1000 that I know was already a deal for what was offered. Provable screen used pieces... they're an entirely different story.

People sell to either dump something, get money for something else, or just need cash. If you have the money,.. you're in control. The seller sometimes doesn't like this fact, but it is true. If you don't have the money available,.. the seller dictates what they want and it is usually accepted.

From my learning process, I will never lay out money for anything in the future that is not ready to be delivered, other than very small amounts to express pre-sale committments. I see too much of that behavior going on as common, accpetable practice. This not only saves me from having a problem, but the artist as well, and thus a great relationship is retained. I don't believe in the "robbing Peter to pay Paul" scenario. Money taken by an artist needs to be applied to the item that it paid for,.. not used on someone elses project that needs to be caught up on. Let me just say I know many of you will never agree with me on this. I even know of philosophies of pre-selling just to make a living with the idea of getting to the project paid for sometime in the future. Very interesting indeed,.. but not for me.

Sometimes buying this stuff requires patience, but in most cases proves to be worth waiting for.

Too much talent (out there in all of you), too little time on this earth (to use it all).

I am going to FL now... Be back Aug 4.

Everyone goes through lulls in popularity....Here comes the firing squad. :p

I don't know much about you, I haven't kept up on a lot of people around here. So when I saw a thread about studio scale philosophy I was hoping to learn something about creating studio scale models. As an artist it's something I'd like to try my hand at next. Do you make anything yourself? Or, is your philosophy merely about collecting, commissioning, and acquiring items (I'm assuming the latter from your post.)

I'm still not sure 'why you do what you do' or what it is you even 'do'.
Too much money, too little talent.

Go ahead...flame me.

<div class='quotetop'>(QuartZ @ Jul 20 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]1284607[/snapback]</div>
I don't know much about you, I haven't kept up on a lot of people around here. So when I saw a thread about studio scale philosophy I was hoping to learn something about creating studio scale models. As an artist it's something I'd like to try my hand at next. Do you make anything yourself? Or, is your philosophy merely about collecting, commissioning, and acquiring items (I'm assuming the latter from your post.)

Go ahead...flame me.
[/b]

Good response...

LOL... no flaming from me. Why would I? It serves no purpose, but to anger ones beliefs in themselves.

And since I have to kill a bit more time... my response :)

YES.. you're right... too little talent on my end and I am glad you brought that up because that is why I love the talent on this board soooo much. Good Call.

"What I do" is a small attempt to keep the talent busy in building my dreams. I am soooo appreciative that talent exists and continue to thank all who do so. :) With CGI in place,.. this is looking to be a dying art that I do not wish to see die.

The reason I placed this thread in Studio Scale Modeling is because this is what I collect and I have been asked by a few different people now how I deal or "do what I do". So you are correct that I did not state what you were looking for in my post and I was correct in stating what other individuals were looking for.

I back this industry with a full heart toward any honest, hard working person and very little bias to any others,.. as anyone would read from my threads and responses.

As to the "too much money, too little talent" comment... I don't blame ya for saying it as i walked into it.. LOL. I am a very thankful and fortunate person. There is nothing more I can say to that. I work hard just like everyone else.

It is a shame I didn't live up to your expectations of my thread title. I guess I chose the wrong wording for it's description. Point noted.

I would love to see your work. Sheesh,.. I mean if the guidelines I set in my post agree with you, it is possible we may do business in the future. If not,.. then it was a pleasure to read your response, I wish you the best, and "Be Well". ;)

If it weren't for people like Kurt who have a passion for collecting guys like me would be working at McDonalds. It's the guy's like him that keep this going.

Hello Kuhn, I think that you said is good but I don't agree with all things, mainly about pre order etc...

I explain my thought :

I'm student, I have no money. If one day I would like to do a kit for people on this board, how can I purchase all the stuff to do it ? (rubber, resin etc... I don't have money enough to buy rubber and resin for my own stuff :p). I would do a pre order to do the work...

I don't blame you, just my 2 cents =)

And like Richard said, we are lucky that are people like you to buy :p

As Kurt stated he is a collector, not a builder, he commisions some of the best builders out there to do his bidding and give the man what he wants in his collection. Yes maybe hes got too much money lol, but is that a bad thing? i dont think so, hes keeping a lot of people in a well paid job i could only dream of doing (id be too anal or not confident enough to do my own commisions). Whether you build or buy its still something to be proud of and show off......lee

Kuhn position is well stated.
To me it read as a first step. Almost a buyer beware. I've seen a lot of people get ripped off. Send me your money and in two or three years you might get a prop.

I'm lucky, I'm both the collector and builder. That is out of necessity, I don't know any of the people that can do the building. So most of the models I aquire get stored. Till I get around to building them.

I was surprised by some of the reaction to Kuhn's post. If you looking for some easy solution to prop building. Good Luck. There isn't one. (Well except for buying a built prop.) If you really want to learn how to build props. Just do it, most of the guys here learned on models. If they didn't like something they changed it. Just hoping for some answer to this hobby isn't there.

As far as the moey goes, I haven't seen that stop anybody. It's amazing what you can do with found items.
Don't focus on your limitations, think what can I do. The movie prop builders sometimes build props with no money(even less). Think on that.

With that said there are those with more money than time. (I assume Kuhn your in this positin.)
This hobby does take money. The guys that build models have to support themselves. This goes for MR as well as the garage builder. None of this stuff is free.

I'm glad their there. I hope to join their ranks soon.

if u dont have the talent, u have the cash, hey shouldnt matter. Heck if I was loaded, Id commision a bunch of stuff. Although I still have the belief that everyone can have talent in some form or another, practice, practice, practice. Nothing can feel more good in doing something yourself. I tell that to my wife when starts on something and gets frustrated. Start practicing Kurt. :D

<div class='quotetop'>(Atemylunch @ Jul 21 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]1285320[/snapback]</div>
The movie prop builders sometimes build props with no money(even less). Think on that.

[/b]

Just one thing . It's more easy to create one thing without money than reproduce it. But it's not the subject of this thread, sorry :p

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Just one thing . It's more easy to create one thing without money than reproduce it. But it's not the subject of this thread, sorry[/b]

You should try putting my statement in context of what I was trying to say.
I would disagree with your statement.

<div class='quotetop'>(Atemylunch @ Jul 21 2006, 11:46 PM) [snapback]1285413[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>
Just one thing . It's more easy to create one thing without money than reproduce it. But it's not the subject of this thread, sorry[/b]

You should try putting my statement in context of what I was trying to say.
I would disagree with your statement.
[/b][/quote]

I don't know if you don't agree with the first sentance or with the second .

Regarding the first, I quote the entiere paragraph :<div class='quotetop'></div>
As far as the moey goes, I haven't seen that stop anybody. It's amazing what you can do with found items.
Don't focus on your limitations, think what can I do. The movie prop builders sometimes build props with no money(even less). Think on that.
[/b]
I just think it's not possible to build an accurate model (studio scale, as mentioned in the title of this thread) without money.

Regarding the second, <div class='quotetop'></div>
But it's not the subject of this thread, sorry[/b]
I was talking about myself and about my post.

All I was saying is that this hobby is up to your own creativity. I used to know a guy that was amazing. He would find parts on the street. Somehow he could incoperate the parts into a prop that was accurate. I'm sorry I can't produce any pics.

The other thing I was saying is that only you create your own limitations. Not having enough money is the biggest excuse I've heard.

As far as keeping on the thread's topic. I took Kuhn's statments and those following thought it over that is what came out. I think I'm within the threads theme. Besides this is a discussion. I read people complaing about that you need money for this hobby. I'm trying to explain why your creativity is more valuable that money. Kuhn was praising the creativity of the builders. I'm just trying to use that statement to get people to realize that they can be builders as well. It takes time to develop the skills you need to make props. Right now (I assume being a student, I was once one as well) you have the time.

This is after all part of my philosphy.

I agree with you. But I think that got money helps. I'm thinking about the stuff... Without good stuff you can't do good thing... And glue, styrene, knife... cost a lot . And where I live, it is 2 or 3 more than price you can get in the US :p
BUt don't worry, I'm not whining =P And I do my models with the stuff I have :D And I'm glad and proud of them =)

<div class='quotetop'>(QuartZ @ Jul 20 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]1284607[/snapback]</div>
I don't know much about you, I haven't kept up on a lot of people around here. So when I saw a thread about studio scale philosophy I was hoping to learn something about creating studio scale models.[/b]

And you have. The business end of the 'art' is a reality which is often not addressed. It's an important part of what we do. There ARE ethics in this business as there are in any other. Take a patron's money? Then timely delivery is a must. More important than this is reputation. Reputation is more important than anything else when discussing how one makes money. Money in my case which will be used to help re-invest in tools and supplies for the next project with a little left over for 'fun' just as long as commitments are met and the purchaser is happy with the results.

As an artist it's something I'd like to try my hand at next. Do you make anything yourself? Or, is your philosophy merely about collecting, commissioning, and acquiring items (I'm assuming the latter from your post.)[/b]

As I've known Kurt personally myself for about 12 years, I CAN tell you he's too modest about his own talent. He's a builder, as are most of us, and AS such knows what indications of quality or the lack thereof he is looking for. It's much harder to satisfy a fellow artist/collector than it is from some 'simpleton' with too much money to blow. I assure you Kurt is neither a simpleton nor lacking talent.

Too much money, too little talent.[/b]

1. It doesn't matter what any of us 'do'.

2. Lack of talent is not Kurt's issue. Lack of time is. And if I were you, I'd cool the jets just a little bit, because...you just never know who might commission YOU for something. And you won't really care then what they 'do'. Just be happy in the knowledge that we have an opportunity to be paid for what we enjoy doing...building, collecting, creating....or all three. ;)

Go ahead...flame me.
[/b]

I surely would not flame you, but I will be honest with you. Ease up. Kurt is good people.

WOW.... much stated while away...

Looks like there are many views indeed that make sense.

Thanks for all the posts guys. There are definitely some great artists here.

<div class='quotetop'>(QuartZ @ Jul 20 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1284607[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

Remember too that the original creators of the models we try to replicate were to under the dictate of people who had probably never so much as built a snap-together model. Some of the best designs have been a result of this kind of work-for-hire situation where the design is based as much on input from from the accounting department and the director as it is on an artist's input.

Talent or not, Kurt has a keen eye for studio scale models- probably more so than some who try to build them. Having money to spend on commisions and the like doesn't automatically make you someone who doesn't know what goes into the piece- on the contrary; spending the amound of money that Kurt does on these pieces dictates that he MUST know what he's buying/commissioning.

BTW Kurt,
Are you still interested in a built Ranger 3? :)

Mark

Excellent points Solo and Fett, I agree 100%. Like I said before, without people like Kurt there would be no market for the builders. And yes Kurt does know a lot more about studio scale models than most people, he also know's what will be a hit and what won't.

I've had many hours of discussion's with him on future projects I should make that would be a success, he seems to have a sixth sense for it.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back