Korbanth 38" Super Star Destroyer model

Hello Korbanth
is the 9foot long SCALED Star Destroyer Bridge model
a part of a star destroyer or part of a Super Star Destroyer ?

its the normal Star Destroyer Bridge - in a week or two, I will show photos that will blow your mind, and will make you want to add one of these into your collection of larger scaled models.

Just received mine today from Randy. This is a beautifully well-cast ship. Considering the plethora of detail and sharp angles and undercuts, I had expected some issues with bubbles despite the best of attempts to stop them, but the end result is stellar. I've more or less convinced myself already not to attempt any lighting on this because 1) it would be my first attempt and I need something more junky to practice on :lol and 2) I don't think the scale of this ship really lends itself to a realistic lighting scene, no offense to others who have done so with technically good results. I'm really waiting/hoping for the six foot version to come along... ;)

Thanks Randy! My favorite of all SW models is now home and safe. :)

Wow! A six footer would be spectacular and I would definitely be in for one. I have the 38" and its a superb kit. Here's hoping for the 6 footer to come along in the future!

Wow he did some great improvemts on the Kit. Especially the Bridge Tower is awesome!!!

I whish mine would be so nice:

dsc01111.jpg

dsc01210.jpg

cimg0079.jpg

by the way, I have 4 units left for sale, at a special price for RPF members if anyone wants to get in on clean castings, first set of castings out of a 3rd and FRESH new mold...

Do you have any more castings or know of where I can get Executor Model at?

Trey

Yes, looking forward to it. :)

I'm still on the hunt for a scaled Imperial Star Destroyer to go with this 38" SSD (well actually 5 for the diorama I have planned).

By my calcs and research this SSD variant is 19KM long.
A Imperial SD is 1.6KM long.
19 / 1.6 = 11.875

This model is 38" long
therefore a scaled SD should be 3.2" long to be perfect.

I've found a few close ones;
1) Halmark model (not ordered)
2) Star Wars Miniatures - Starship Battles - Imperial Star Destroyer #035 from the Wizard Game (ordered one today)
3) F-Toys Star Wars Vehicle Collection 4, Model #5 Imperial Star Destroyer (ordered one today).

Other then that, I'm talking with a few model makers to see what they can do.
I've set the bar high, I want these scaled SD lit as well much like the bigger models I've seen. I think at 3.2" 50 to 100 fibres is possible.

The last thing, almost not possible is a scaled Falcon.
I've read it's 26.7M long, scaled I'm looking at a 1.35mm model :lol
So may have to think about another scene from the movie with a bigger ship!

Yes, looking forward to it. :)

I'm still on the hunt for a scaled Imperial Star Destroyer to go with this 38" SSD (well actually 5 for the diorama I have planned).

By my calcs and research this SSD variant is 19KM long.
A Imperial SD is 1.6KM long.
19 / 1.6 = 11.875

This model is 38" long
therefore a scaled SD should be 3.2" long to be perfect.

1) Halmark model (not ordered)
2) Star Wars Miniatures - Starship Battles - Imperial Star Destroyer #035 from the Wizard Game (ordered one today)
3) F-Toys Star Wars Vehicle Collection 4, Model #5 Imperial Star Destroyer (ordered one today).

Other then that, I'm talking with a few model makers to see what they can do.
I've set the bar high, I want these scaled SD lit as well much like the bigger models I've seen. I think at 3.2" 50 to 100 fibres is possible.

The last thing, almost not possible is a scaled Falcon.
I've read it's 26.7M long, scaled I'm looking at a 1.35mm model :lol
So may have to think about another scene from the movie with a bigger ship!

I have four of the Starship Battles ISDs, and you're probably not going to be too happy with it. The paint and detail is phenomenal, but the model is hollow, so it suffers from extreme sag.

Yes, I was taking a punt on a few of these smaller SD models but they are cheap so not a big loss if they turn out to be unsuitable.

Late last night I came across some 1/20000 steel folded models from a Japanese company on eBay, they look very detailed and you have to cut and fold the pieces together.
However, I think that they could be lit internally after sealing and then painted up.
I ordered one to have a look anyway.

By the way, I will adjust my scale calcs as the SSD is 36" long and not 38".

3" long Star Destroyer instead of 3.2" for a 36" Super Star Destroyer.
Not that it makes it easier to find one that small that could be lit!

My day job I'm an Engineer.
One thing I work with from time to time is Urethanes and resins, we don't have 3D printer at work yet but I have also thought about making my own from a 3D model. Autodesk Inventor is overkill from my day job, but I use Google Sketchup for fun projects and house design (making my games room off one I did last year).
The Google Sketchup warehouse has millions of models, so I'm sure I'll find a good Star Destroyer model I can scale down to 3" and then output (small conversion required) for 3D printing in resin (2 halves for lighting) as another option.

Just speaking out loud if an off the shelf solution doesn't come up.
I know traditional model makers here have the skill to scratch build, I work in computers more so I have to use methods I know I can do that I apply for Engineering solutions (even this small I get parts machined on CNC in S/S or Titanium)

1) Star Wars Miniatures - Starship Battles - Imperial Star Destroyer #035 from the Wizard Game (ordered one today)
Arrived, yes it is pretty bad!
2) F-Toys Star Wars Vehicle Collection 4, Model #5 Imperial Star Destroyer (ordered one today).
Arrived, nice model actually and would do for static setup
3) Steel Golem 1/20000 Star Destroyer.
Winner!
Great detail and as it's in parts you have to fold and assembly, this one could be lit internally which is what I want.
Small 0.25mm drill bit on my Dremel, a few fibres and then assembly and fill in small gaps with model putty or something like it and paint it up.
Busy just now with some 1/10 RC car kits that arrived which I need to build over next 2 weeks to go racing, once that is up and running I will try out this steel kit.

The 36" Star Destroyer won't be here for 3-4 months so I have time to make up these supporting ships.

Build of the super star destroyer is now underway (I'm not building it, found someone with some actual skill!).
Difference with this kit will be it's cast in clear resin.
So, the lighting will be done in a more economic (money and time) way and will deliver 'movie' standard lighting results.
Should take approx 3-4 months for completion.

Hopefully in next few months the Model will be done, it's been a journey but looking forward to having it in my collection.

In the end, the best Star Destroyer to go with it is the F-Toys Star Wars Vehicle Collection 4, Model #5 Imperial Star Destroyer.
I have 5 of these now.
You could actually open up the two halves of this model to sort out basic internal lighting.

Next to the Super Star Destroyer once lit it will look very good.

I also found a IKEA Granas coffee table I'm converting to be a display case for it.
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1959/displayn.jpg

Will be going for Asteroid scene with SSD + 5 SD.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back