Kong: Skull Island (Post-release)

I will admit I had low expectations for this, but I just watched it and I will have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a really nice romp in giant monsterville! Samuel Jackson plays a good Captain Ahab which I didn't expect and of course he (almost) gets to say exactly what you know he is going to say. Solid Saturday matinee fun type movie. I absolutely hated Peter Jackson's version, give me the Jeff Bridges version any day, that's the one I grew up on. Yeah, I know the original is classic, but I never even saw it until I was in my thirties, so for me it was just another "old" movie.

Dealing with the "hollow Earth" theory of this movie, anybody else think it could somehow fit into the Pacific Rim world? Sure had some weird giant monsters in it, not just your average run-of-the-mill overgrown animals.

Peter Jackson's version is the best. It's faithful to the original movie.
And the original movie is a master piece in the history of cinema. The special effects are incredible (stop motion).
In the Jackson's version, some scenes are in stop motion cause Jackson wanted to respect the original movie.

The first script was very different....
They made this movie to connect it to the next movie.

Personally it's a pop corn movie.....

The sound track is correct, the photography is good (grainy image) but the script is very bad.

The only thing I have liked is the duality between Samuel Jackson and Kong. In a scene, Jacksons says (about The Vietnam War) "we have not lost the war, we have abndoned the conflict" It's very important for him.

So we can assume that Kong is a metaphorical representation of the conflict and that Jackson don't want lose again this conflict.

Let me ask you this.....

Say there was no King Kong before and this was the first film, book etc. How would you like it?

Popcorn flick is a fair and accurate analogy. Espcially as I didnt the first script and liked that is was set during the Viet Nam era.

Let me ask you this.....

Say there was no King Kong before and this was the first film, book etc. How would you like it?

Popcorn flick is a fair and accurate analogy. Espcially as I didnt the first script and liked that is was set during the Viet Nam era.

In the first script the story had to tell us the kong's origins (his familly, his history, his environment etc....). The movie focused on Kong (and an expedition on the Island if I remember). Monarch Project is was not in the first script.....

The new script is just a way to connect it to the next movie.
But I loved it.
But I prefer Jackson's version (more psychological)

In the first script the story had to tell us the kong's origins (his familly, his history, his environment etc....). The movie focused on Kong (and an expedition on the Island if I remember). Monarch Project is was not in the first script.....

The new script is just a way to connect it to the next movie.
But I loved it.
But I prefer Jackson's version (more psychological)

Do you have a link to the original story? I would love to read the back story of how Kongs family died.

I'm glad it wasn't a remake, but I thought it was pretty bad and only watchable at all because of the A-list cast. Replace them with a bunch of no-names and you wouldn't get past the first act.

I don't like this movie but I like my cardboard :lol

kong.jpg

Kong: Origins

God no.

We've forgotten that an element to what makes classic characters is that they can retain an element of enigmatism. I don't need to learn that Kong is the last of a once thriving giant simian population that died off from man-made global warming and poaching.

Kong: Origins

God no.

We've forgotten that an element to what makes classic characters is that they can retain an element of enigmatism. I don't need to learn that Kong is the last of a once thriving giant simian population that died off from man-made global warming and poaching.

Thank you. And I dont need a monster pop corn flick to be a PC commentary about (insert pet cause here). But this might be to good to pass up. 'Man created him with their nuclear bombs, now man want to kill him for sport.

Do you have a link to the original story? I would love to read the back story of how Kongs family died.

If you want, I have (not sure) the first script of Resident Evil written by George Romero (the movie).
It was a script similar to the video game.

This is a very fun movie. I really wasn't expecting much since nobody I know has even seen it, much less recommended it. But the writers and director did a great job of giving it a pulp novel sensibility with a healthy dose of humor. It feels like a throw back to older action adventure comics, never taking itself too seriously. The period song selections are piled on a little thick in the first half but that's a minor nitpick. Worth checking out.

This is a very fun movie. I really wasn't expecting much since nobody I know has even seen it, much less recommended it. But the writers and director did a great job of giving it a pulp novel sensibility with a healthy dose of humor. It feels like a throw back to older action adventure comics, never taking itself too seriously. The period song selections are piled on a little thick in the first half but that's a minor nitpick. Worth checking out.

Couldn't agree more. I was channel surfing tonight and saw it was coming up on HBO so I watched it for the first time. I had planned on seeing it but never got around to it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the the entire thing. I thought the cast was fantastic, and it was just a fun movie.

Couldn't agree more. I was channel surfing tonight and saw it was coming up on HBO so I watched it for the first time. I had planned on seeing it but never got around to it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the the entire thing. I thought the cast was fantastic, and it was just a fun movie.

Right? Just a fun, unpretentious monster movie with some really good action and, yes, a great cast that's totally game. I thought that entire scene when the choppers first come up against Kong was amazing. It's too bad this thing didn't find a bigger audience.

I did not think the movie would be that good seeing the trailer in 2016, so I did not watch it until this year on DVD.
I was so wrong, it is awesome! I like the story, and the way they kept elements of the original. The action is amazing, and I really like the cast.
Some say they like Peter Jackson's version is better, well, when my friend and I saw it in 2005, we were so bored, we went to sleep in the theater.

I'll have to check this out. Never piqued my interest.

I like good, long movies. I won't watch anything but the extended versions of Jackson's LOTR, but his King Kong was unnecessarily long, and bloated.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back