Knight Templates

I don't know if this would help. Found this web site while serching for the some armour also. Haven't tried to use any of the patterns yet but they are free to download.

The Armour Archive

I have used this site to make a suit of armor out of plastic garbage cans. I have also made a few of the helmets using foam. You will just need to modify them for you own use...

Take care,
Tommy

I have made plate armor and I will tell you templates are just a reference. If you follow them exactly they will not fit your specific body and be very uncomfortable. You are better off getting some poster board and shaping/cutting it to what you want. Then unfolding that and using it for your pattern.

You should also consider what kind of armor you want to make, throughout history knights have worn many different kinds of armor. Going by the fact that you're asking for templates I'm guessing you want to do a suit of plate, if so then I'd research the time period and style of plate you want to duplicate. Not all plate armor was the same, there were many styles and the styles changed considerably throughout time from plate and mail where you have plates over mail to later full suits where the only mail was in the joints.

Once you have chosen the style of armor you want to make I'd recommend, as Cal has, making your own patterns and templates based on research and using paper and poster board wrapped around whoever is going to wear the armor. I'd also sketch out what you want your armor to look like in the end before you even start so that you can pre-cut your template before you start measuring to simplify things a bit so there's a little less cutting.

You should also consider what kind of armor you want to make, throughout history knights have worn many different kinds of armor. Going by the fact that you're asking for templates I'm guessing you want to do a suit of plate, if so then I'd research the time period and style of plate you want to duplicate. Not all plate armor was the same, there were many styles and the styles changed considerably throughout time from plate and mail where you have plates over mail to later full suits where the only mail was in the joints.

Once you have chosen the style of armor you want to make I'd recommend, as Cal has, making your own patterns and templates based on research and using paper and poster board wrapped around whoever is going to wear the armor. I'd also sketch out what you want your armor to look like in the end before you even start so that you can pre-cut your template before you start measuring to simplify things a bit so there's a little less cutting.

Very True, Early plate armor is very simplistic in nature only covering major vital organs. later armors like Italian gothic plate armor is very articulated and moved within itself. Plate was exspensive and people wore hand me downs and feild plate from won battles. some knights even had half armor and depended on a tower sheild to defend their non weapon side. This gave a person considerable advantage where dexterity is concerned.

A vast Majority of knights wore a Bernie, this is a riveted maille shirt that came to or past the knees. with lots of leather was used in conjunction to plates and chain to lessen mace impacts. your choices are unlimited basicaly. It also matters if you want historic or reproduction. There is a big difference in hollywood and real armor. Real armor is not fancy and shiny. It is a weapon of war and should translate as such.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back