Klingon Bird of Prey Studio Model

modeler1964

Hello everyone. There are some great reference pics out there on the Bird of Prey studio model however I haven't found any actual size measurements of the studio model. Anyone have this info?
Thanks
Bryan

Yes, that is a great site and I did notice for the first time that in some of the B/W pics, there appears to be a yard stick of some kind in the photo. I may be able to do something with that. Thanks

I printed the picture of the overhead shot of the BOP. I then cut the tape meassure out and marked the inches, each white dot is actually a blurry number. I layed it on the spine and over the wing. I came up 27 inches, times 2 gives us a wing span of 54 inches. Doing the same with the side shot I come up with 39 inches

Last edited:
I printed the picture of the overhead shot of the BOP. I then cut the tape meassure out and marked the inches, each white dot is actually a blurry number. I layed it on the spine and over the wing. I came up 27 inches, times 2 gives us a wing span of 54 inches. Doing the same with the side shot I come up with 39 inches

Hey thanks for doing that! Looks very close to those measurements. If I built it, I don't know where I'd display it! LOL! Always wanted a SS BOP though. I don't think anyone has attempted it yet. When I start it, I will post a thread on it. I just need to get some things straight first.

Not as accurate as walking up to the ship with a tape meassure but gives us a pretty good idea none the less.:cool

I realize you are talking about the physical model, but ironically the "size" of the Klingon Bird of Prey, as it appears on the screen, has also been a source of great confusion throughout the history of Star Trek films and shows. :lol

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/bop-size.htm

Basically every time we see it, the scale of the ship appears different... :unsure

Regards the miniature sold at Christies', the size is given as 15 x 36 inches. No doubt there were different sizes of miniature.

http://christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=4780546

Was the one at Christies really only 15 inches long? It looks much bigger in pictures. Of course we know the width changed after somone knocked off the port side cannon.:confused

Yes I know about the "canon" size issues with the design of the ship and agree that they are just stupid. I am after the ST III version of the scout class miniature. I think Robi has it close to what it's supposed to be. Thanks for the continued info!

That sounds about right. I interned with the FX dept on ST:TNG back in 1990 and we crated the thing up after it was used the first time on the series. It took three of us to get it in the crate and the mount point was in a very uncomfortable/hard to reach place. I don't know where Christie's came up with that measurement (unless it was for the other box of hardware that came with it.......).

Gene

Yeah, well, having it in my hands for 15 minutes is nothing like having it in the back of my car......:lol

Gene

Agreed my friend! But that 15 minutes is more than I can attest to! LOL. I am still working on this but it looks like the main hull will be around 36-39 inches and the wingspan will be 51-54 inches for a studio scale (close to it) build. Wish me luck! I will probably start the wings first and I am thinking of using some type of MDF / Particle board covered in sheet styrene.

I can't remember the name of the film, but isn't it the one where the crew had to travel back in time to bring back two Humpback whales? I loved the scene where the whalers open fire on a whale and it just bounces off the invisible spaceship hovering there. Then, it becomes visible and they crap themselves!!! :cool

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back