kid-sized Han Solo holster - WIP

Uncharted Leather

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I have been working on a kid-sized version of the Han Solo holster for the past two weeks and I would really appreciate any critiques and suggestions on how I could improve it.

Here is a little information on its construction so far. The leather is 6-7 oz and has been dyed a “java brown” color. I tried a few buckles from Tandy leather but was not very pleased with the look. The buckles in the photos are made from plywood and will hopefully be replaced soon with custom made buckles. The droid caller is made from PVC parts I found at Home Depot and the blaster is from a stormtrooper room alarm set.

Thanks for looking a please let me know what you think.

Paul

CIMG0366.jpg

CIMG0370.jpg

CIMG0373.jpg

CIMG0375.jpg

CIMG0379.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great! I like the color and all the snaps etc. How did you sew the leather etc. I have modified adult belts for kid sized holsters or bandoleers etc. but nothing as sharp as your work.
Maybe you could create a metal flashing or styrene facade to cover the buckes until you get accurate ones? Also, how about something for scale?

Thanks for sharing.

Looks great. My kids have both of my old Star Wars blasters from nearly 30 years ago. Since we are snowed in this week, it would be a great time to make them some gun belts.

Cheers

Sebastian

Thanks for the kind words!

To answer your questions tictoc the holster was hand sewn. I used an awl to punch the holes and a piece of thread with needles at each end to stitch it up. The book The Art of Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman has been a great resource for me. I'll add a few photos below to give you an idea of the scale of the holster and blaster.

Since I'm still working on this I would love to hear any ideas on how it can be improved. Other than the buckles I still have to sew in the pouches and add a few more details to the droid caller. Unfortunately I may have to redo the pouches on the right side because they are not spacing out the way that I would like. The disc was quickly added so I know that I have to go back and do a better job of lining up all the holes.

Sebastian, your kids will love the holsters! The added bonus is how much fun you will have seeing them run around the house playing with them. If I can help you in any way please let me know.

Here is a photo I just took with a Coke can for scale and a photo of my seven year old son wearing a similar sized Luke Skywalker holster that I made him for Dragon con last summer.

CIMG0383.jpg

XanderSkywalker.jpg

gunnr2nd,

The blaster is from a stormtrooper room alarm game that you can find on ebay. They normally go for around $15-20. Out of the box it is bright red but spray it with a little paint and it looks great. This blaster is a perfect size for younger kids compared to the normal Hasbro blasters.

Once I have figured out the buckles I would love to sell the Han and Luke holsters!

Yoda - that is awesome!

As somebody who owns one of your Han blaster belts, I can attest to your workmanship.

This is stunning! I would love one like this for my boys in the future with this level of detailing!

Hector

That's extremely cool. I had to make my own Star Wars weaponry when I was younger. I distinctively remember sticking almost exclusively to Ewok weapons because they were easy to make from readily available supplies found in my backyard.

That's extremely cool. I had to make my own Star Wars weaponry when I was younger. I distinctively remember sticking almost exclusively to Ewok weapons because they were easy to make from readily available supplies found in my backyard.

!!!!!! me too!

I'm going to look up that book. Keep us updated with the buckle progress. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys for all of the compliments!

Hector – I had a blast making your son’s Luke belt and loved the photos you sent of your boys at Halloween. It is fun to know that after all these years there are still kids running around pretending to lightsaber fight Darth Vader and blast stormtroopers.

Does anyone know what the basic cost is for making metal buckles? I thought about going to a local machine shop with my pattern next week and would like to have an idea of the process before going. Also, what type of metal do you think the original buckles were made from? Thanks.

Paul

Hey gang,

I finished the holster over the weekend and thought I would share a quick photo of my son wearing it. Unfortunately I had to skip on some of the details because the holster was a birthday gift for a friend and to be honest I was running out of time. I ended up buying the main buckles from Tandy Leather and making the small connecting buckles from wood.

I was very happy with the way it turned out and cannot wait to make another one for my son. The best part was seeing the birthday boy's face when he saw the holster. He did not take it off all day!

CIMG0473.jpg

Looks great ,nice work ,I am trying to get my 5yr old boy into Star Wars ,he currently prefers being Troy from High School Musical :cry

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back