Keaton Mask-Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask

Mr Mcgoo

I'm not usually one to start threads, but I've noticed that when I start a thread I'm more likely to finish a project. This is what I'm gonna do here. Having been playing Majora's Mask on my 3DS, and soon to get to my Nintendo 64 cartridge I thought it would be cool to have a display themed around my favourite game of all time. So this will be the first of a few builds I do relating to the game.

I love the Keaton Mask, even though it might seem plain and simple. It just has a nice look about it. I began by getting reference pictures (as you do) and began to draw up some templates. I initially scaled it more to Link as a child, but thought that it should be bigger, as to look a reasonable size if worn by Adult Link, Kafei, or the Mask Salesman.

keaton_mask_by_pililineunz-d5x1v9l.jpgKeatonMask.jpg

I scaled up the paper template on my photocopier, and began making a cardboard frame. I'll mask over the frame and make a pattern for foam from that, before fibreglassing over the top of it.

IMG_2450.jpgIMG_2451.jpgIMG_2452.jpg

I'd appreciate it if anyone interested in seeing this finished could badger me to keep on top of it, because I have a history of struggling to finish projects when I get to a point. I'll try to update this thread when I can, and hopefully I can finish this within the next few weeks.

FINISH THIS! haha, I get the stalling thing, it happens to me too, but we need more Zelda props, and this is a good one! I'm excited to see your progress. I've just recently done an EVA Zelda shield, loosely based on the OOT Hylian crest but with a LttP shape, and that thing sat unfinished for months before I picked it back up this week.

Awesome man! Try to stick to it and give us updates as soon as you can. Cannot wait to see this :)
I love Zelda with all my heart and created a wooden replica of Majora's Mask around two years ago.

Do you plan on making it wearable?

Thanks, supermaRiio for that comment,I hadn't really thought about making it wearable to be honest, but the more I think about it I probably will. It wouldn't be that much extra work and it would be a cool thing to cosplay with. I've seen your wooden mask floating around the internet as well, that thing is super awesome. And harrisonp, that shield sounds great! Did you have a thread for that? Really would like to see pictures of it.

More work done on this tonight, I put masking tape over the cardboard frame and began to make templates for the foam. Then I scribed lines in sharpie for where I wanted to cut and coloured over parts of the tape in highlighter so I could see where the sections were. I then cut the pieces with a scalpel an scissors before sticking them to cardboard to begin to make my patterns. After that I tried a proof of concept piece with paper. There are a few little things to fix, but next it will be going onto cutting the foam and gluing it.

If anyone has suggestions for things that could help with accuracy/shape/whatever please feel free to say them. :)

IMG_2462.jpgIMG_2463.jpgIMG_2464.jpgIMG_2465.jpgIMG_2467.jpgIMG_2468.jpg

The basic shape of it is already looking awesome. How thick is the foam you put on going to be?
Regarding the part of making it wearable. I'm no fan of that since I find masks (caution: irony here) better if they're not wearable if recreated as a replica from a game.
But that's just me... :)

I don't have the foam on me right now, but if my memory serves me right it's only a few millimetres thick. Bought it for two other projects and I just happen to have enough to do this :)

i do do see what you mean about them being wearable. Obviously in the games they literally float over links face, and they also have little to no eye hole most of the time. Even if I did make it wearable, I can't really think of many scenarios where I would wear this. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, doesn't really need to be decided on yet.

Veeeeeerrrrrry nice shield, I really dig it. And that (unless I'm mistaken) Ordon Sword looks great too dude. Very nice pieces indeed.

So I've been busy with a few other projects over the last month so I can make room for this one, but I've now glued up all of the foam pieces. Just used my dremel and a sanding bit to chamfer the edges so they glue nicely with a solid surface for the contact adhesive I used. Just need to trim parts of it and fix a few small things that bug me, attach it to the form to hold its shape and then it'll be onto fiberglassing it up.IMG_2624.JPGIMG_2625.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back