Katja Von Design (commission question)

Viexalz

Hey all, I haven't posted here for ages so forgive me if I'm putting this in the wrong area. But this time last year I requested a commission from Katja Von Design to be completed by June of 2016. I've gotten props and small detailing for costumes done before via commission but this is the first time I've ever requested a complete outfit so I'm at a loss about what to expect or what I should do.

So far I have received no photos, not even of materials or patterns or any actual 'evidence' that work has even begun on the outfit, just her own word and promises that she is almost finished. I've pestered her about photos almost every email for which she has promised to send when she's "back in town" or "closer to the weekend" or any other future period of time. Constant pressuring about photos eventually led to her replying that she doesn't like progress photos as they do more harm than good (which wouldn't bother me if the costume wasn't five months past due date).

As I had intended to wear the costume in July for a specific event, by September I was exhausted of having to constantly chase her up for information and requested the option of either a full or partial refund. She then said that it was too late for that and dismissed the option entirely.

Other than just kissing my money goodbye, is there anything else that I can do? She has come across as sincere but every problem imaginable has come up over the past year that has prevented her from getting my commission done in time and I'm exhausted from having to deal with it. She has been posting completed costumes/satisfied customer pics on her FB, but her Etsy store (where I first made contact with her) has been removed.

Has anyone else ever dealt with her before?
(Sorry for any typos or mistakes!)

If you gave her more than $500 and she hasnt given you anything then that is basically theft and a felony, tell her to get with you and if she doesnt then file a theft by deception charge against her in the city where she lives.

If you gave her more than $500 and she hasnt given you anything then that is basically theft and a felony, tell her to get with you and if she doesnt then file a theft by deception charge against her in the city where she lives.

Thanks for this! I will follow it up with her using that and see if it produces any results.

I'm curious to hear how this has developed - Next month will be one year since I commissioned her for a Kylo Ren. Same experience.

Thanks for sharing this as I had been planning on commissioning her for a Kylo Ren. Now I'm thinking I should pursue other avenues.

Sent me an email a month ago claiming it would ship the following week...haven't heard another word since, even after repeated attempts to contact her. Over the past year, everything imaginable has come up, short of alien invasion. I agree with the OP, it's exhausting.

It seems that this becoming a thing on here, i think I saw another post about similar issues.

Some help for others.

Don't paypal as friends.

For a commission, only put a percentage of the total cost.

Make sure to have all the persons contact info or alternate email addresses.

I have contacted the admins about similar issues for the project runs in general.

Sorry for posting and running! It has now been two years and thought I'd just update my situation:

I've had minimal contact from her since my original post although I have found that it wasn't too long since posting that she actually started to send me emails without me having to initiate them. Same as before, she would promise it would be "this week" or "this weekend" or "by the end of this month" but obviously nothing has been sent. She had also promised that she would now offer a full refund of my money (after refusing in the beginning) but it's been over six months since she said that to me and no money has ever been returned so I think that was a whole lot of talk too.

Her Etsy has still been removed. Her cosplay facebook hasn't been updated since last year. Her twitter account now seems to be locked. But that's as far as my google-fu has gotten me. I've pretty much just accepted my money is gone and only just complaining out of principle now and making contact with others in a Katja Von Design support group kind of way. It really angers me that there is just no way to hold these people accountable.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back