Kaizen's The Last Starfighter Arcade Cabinet Build

I am so glad you are doing this. Loved this film and always wanted this game in my basement since I was a kid. Keep up the beautiful work. Cant wait to see it cross the finish line.

The artwork has been finalised after a few tweaks.

rOKLG3o.jpg

9H657Oh.jpg

I've now sorted out and tested the lights mod, I've used a CD4017 (decade counter) and a CD4026 (7 segment display driver) to turn the lights on and off at random intervals.

o1o4QwT.jpg

gUCWWop.jpg

Both circuits built on a Vero board with pots added to adjust the speed.

TzO1ZT3.jpg

The chips are only designed to power LED's so I knocked up an incandescent lamp driver PCB with parts that I had on hand.
It also serves the function of switching between having all lights lit at once or randomly flashing.

iEYNDEw.jpg

When all lights are lit at once they draw just under 10A, the ATX power supply I'm using at the moment is only rated to 10A so that'll get an upgrade.

Looks great and I'm pleased with how the random lights board works but the right side lights are mostly connected to the light chaser which switches one out of ten lights on at a time (seen in video below), I've since added an inverter to the outputs so that one light goes out at a time instead so there are always nine of them lit at one one time, looks much better.

1BdBJjf.jpg

J1pMaP6.jpg

Last edited:
Looking awesome ! The Weaponry sign need improvement. Smaller maybe ? Not sure what the movie prop looks like. A work in progress, I'm sure. It doesn't look stuck down yet.

The artwork has been finalised after a few tweaks.

View attachment 1014669
View attachment 1014670

I've now sorted out and tested the lights mod, I've used a CD4017 (decade counter) and a CD4026 (7 segment display driver) to turn the lights on and off at random intervals.

View attachment 1014671
View attachment 1014672

Both circuits built on a Vero board with pots added to adjust the speed.

View attachment 1014673

The chips are only designed to power LED's so I knocked up an incandescent lamp driver PCB with parts that I had on hand.
It also serves the function of switching between having all lights lit at once or randomly flashing.

View attachment 1014674

When all lights are lit at once they draw just under 10A, the ATX power supply I'm using at the moment is only rated to 10A so that'll get an upgrade.

Looks great and I'm pleased with how the random lights board works.

View attachment 1014675

View attachment 1014676

Oh my GOD I LOVE THIS BUILD!!

Looking awesome ! The Weaponry sign need improvement. Smaller maybe ? Not sure what the movie prop looks like. A work in progress, I'm sure. It doesn't look stuck down yet.

That's just a sheet of paper with the artwork printed on it to make sure the line spacing matches up with the switches.
When the artwork arrives, the bottom will be trimmed to match the production still image of the cabinet used in the movie.

STCfvCp.jpg

Attachments

• iAS2hb7.jpg
    iAS2hb7.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 0qKvdpZ.png
    0qKvdpZ.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 0qKvdpZl.jpg
    0qKvdpZl.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

I should have this completed by the end of the weekend, one week shy of twelve months from starting the build.
The wiring needs tidying up and a few other little jobs to be completed, I replaced the motherboard with a Core2 Duo Quad/4 gig ram with an ATI HD4350 video card.
I've accrued about 170 hours on the build itself and over 100 hours of research and design.

I should have this completed by the end of the weekend, one week shy of twelve months from starting the build.
The wiring needs tidying up and a few other little jobs to be completed, I replaced the motherboard with a Core2 Duo Quad/4 gig ram with an ATI HD4350 video card.
I've accrued about 170 hours on the build itself and over 100 hours of research and design.

And every second of your time spent on this is a Wonder to behold ! :love:
Thanks for sharing this Incredible build once again, & Congratulations (y)

And every second of your time spent on this is a Wonder to behold ! :love:
Thanks for sharing this Incredible build once again, & Congratulations (y)

Cheers mate and thanks for you positive feedback along the way.

I felt 35 lights wasn't enough but there's no more room on the control panel so I fitted 4 more under the cabinet... :cool:

Blue

6dS0ZuQ.jpg

Red

Fp1QZMg.jpg

Purple (both on)

sMEfP5Q.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back