Just the medicine I needed - Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother

Re: Just the medicine I needed - Sherlock Holme's Smarter Brother

I taped it last night because my mom wanted the tv but I plan on watching it. I'd never heard of it before this. It looks and feels like an Mel Brooks movie but isn't but man the cast is great, you even see some regulars from British tv shows.

my terminex guy randomly told me about this a year or so ago. it was nuts! he saw a stripes poster i had framed in my office and started talking movies. he said that he remembered seeing gene wilder play sherlock's brother in an old movie with marty feldman, but couldn't ever find it on video. he's an older guy and never used amazon or anything. i had never heard of it-- felt like i had struck gold after a quick search. the movie was on netflix instant for a while.

oh, madeline kahn... :love

That's what I love about watching Turner Classic Movies, you find some gems you never knew about.

I saw it in the theater with my mom when I was like 6. The one scene that always stuck with me - I remember the whole audience dying with laughter - including my mother- was this scene here - (don't watch it if you're going to view the movie tonight - it may ruin the fun)
The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother - Ballroom Scene - YouTube
Dom Deluise is also in it and as always is a RIOT. I have it on VHS - but this baby needs a blu ray release with Gene Wilder commentary pronto.

Yeah my mom woke up last night just in time for the Ballroom scene and I'm amazed she didn't wake the neighbors she was laughing so loud.

Oh yeah! :lol

Got another for ya with Marty Feldmen, "The Last Remake Of Beau Geste"

Two CLASSICS!

They played that on a double feature last year with Gene Wilder's The World's Greatest Lover in LA. I found out a week too late and kicked myself for it.

Gene Wilder is THE MAN - royalty now, in my opinion. Too bad he gave up on Hollywood. His movies are so ingrained with my youth and my first experiences going to the movies.

Oh Man you have to see that it was Marty's first time directing and had so many people in it Peter Ustinov, Ann Margaret, James Earle Jones, Michael York, Ted Cassidy, Spike Milligan.

It is a MUST-SEE!!!

Gene is the man though I mean my God look at all he has given us, he had me when I first saw "The Producers"

They played that on a double feature last year with Gene Wilder's The World's Greatest Lover in LA. I found out a week too late and kicked myself for it.

Gene Wilder is THE MAN - royalty now, in my opinion. Too bad he gave up on Hollywood. His movies are so ingrained with my youth and my first experiences going to the movies.

I am in an Italian Commedia troupe here in California... I lift a lot of my character from Dom Delouise in this film... maybe not so much the lines he speaks (which are almost assuredly 75% improvisation) but his whole demeanor and schtick. This movie is flipping brilliant.

I am in an Italian Commedia troupe here in California... I lift a lot of my character from Dom Delouise in this film... maybe not so much the lines he speaks (which are almost assuredly 75% improvisation) but his whole demeanor and schtick. This movie is flipping brilliant.

"Nice vase."

Dom - "You have a nice face too!"

And I have seen "The last remake", just not on the big screen.

They should have contacted Gene to take Steve Carrell's place on the Office - i would have watched that.

Alot of what Dom does in this movie is "Dominic the great" from the Dean Martin show, especially the accent. What I couldn't believe is how thin he was, this had to be his thinnest.

I must have been watching it the same time as you all! Just great, I'm so glad they aired it.

This is back when comedians could be funny without toilet humor. We watched it tonight. My dad vaguely remembers taking mom to see it at the movies but he isn't sure.

This is back when comedians could be funny without toilet humor. We watched it tonight. My dad vaguely remembers taking mom to see it at the movies but he isn't sure.

And - what did you think Wes? I mean, I can tell you liked it, but how great were those guys...? These movies are what makes it hard for me to digest people like Seth Rogan, Jimmy Fallon, Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell -- they can't touch the comedians of yesterday - not by a long shot. The scene where Gene and bad guy are fighting on the carriage with the giant hand and boot - :lol:lol

I've never really had much liked modern comedians. SNL hasn't been funny since Dana Carvey left and even then it was hit or miss, the original cast was the best. I'm trying to track down the Dean Martin show and his roasts at a reasonable price on dvd as that's my idea of comedy. Carol Bernnet, the bob hope xmas specials, for sure the Road movies with bob and bing. I sure sound older than 34 don't i? lol. I'd even go for some Smothers Brothers. I don't think I've ever seen Gene Wilder in a bad movie. Sadly I haven't been a huge fan of Mel Brooks since Robin HOod. I do like movies like Airplane though and American Carol is my favorite christmas movie that few ever saw and you can't go wrong with Leslie Neilson but he never really did much gross humor either. The old comics must be spinning in their graves...or in Don Rickles' case spinning on stage still lol.

Iyou can't go wrong with Leslie Neilson but he never really did much gross humor either.

I don't know. Leslie Nielson made his own fart machine. In an interview, someone asked him what he wanted on his tombstone, and that's the noise he made. I think a lot of the older comedians did toilet humor, but they didn't rely on just that.

Very true. I agree. It wasn't their only tool to make you laugh. I bet the Dean Martin roasts had some rather blue humor off camera. Is it sad that whenever the infomercials for dean martin's roasts and variety show come on i watch them and laugh? lol. I miss variety shows.

Great movie!

I found the DVD in the discount bin a while back.

I may need to pop it in this weekend.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back