just looking for some beginner advice.

ScottishJester

I really want to get into sculpting after viewing some of the amazing work on this site. i was going to buy air dry clay as i don't have access to a kiln but after watching many of you use oil based clay and getting amazing results would this be a better choice for me?. do i need to fire it in an oven i am planning to use it to make a mold and cast from resin.

thanks in advance for any information given

Depends on the type of clay you get. Regardless of what type, if you plan to mold and cast it, get a clay that is 'SULPHUR FREE" This is entirely important. If your clay DOES have sulphur in it, it'll inhibit or completely prevent the mold material from curing.

"Monster clay" by Monster makers is good, Retains it's shape and is high quality. Only downsides are that it's expensive, and that if you have little girly hands like mine, it'll wear your hands down after a while.

My PERSONAL suggestion is "WED" clay, bought from Monster makers or Brick In The Yard, or FX warehouse. This clay is easy to work with, it does not require geat to become soft and malleable, but water,so keep a water spray bottle handy and keep your sculpt covered nicely with a wet paper towels when not sculpting. Because once it dries, it is not re-usable begins to fracture and crumble. But I really love this clay, it's cheaper, too.

I can say that I was a total beginner about one year ago. I started working with charvant clay (middle hard). At first it appeared to have the wrong type of clay but after some hours of trying it turned out that it was the best choice for me.
There is not THE best clay it always depends on your own preferences.
Here is the link of my current project:
http://www.therpf.com/f62/groot-bust-new-sculpting-project-started-221635/
I already started with the silicone mold and will make the mother mold this weekend though. At the end it also will be a resin cast.

hope I could help a bit at least.

Just to clarify, if your clay has sulphur in it, it will prevent silicone from curing. So if you don't plan on using silicone for molding or casting, sulphur clay will be fine. But if you think you may use silicone, stay far away. The industry standard for oil clay has been Chavant medium. Monster clay is also a good clay. It's softer than Chavant, but still holds great detail. You want to warm your clay up to soften it when you're working with it, otherwise it's a real b**** trying to do anything with it.

thanks guys really appreciate the reply's and great advice. i think i will go with the chavant clay done a little research after your recommendation. im not sure whether im going to cast after my first sculp i think i might just make it a bust and see how it goes.
@Nygiant @pitchforknumb @Pigeonnuggets

oh and thanks for the advice on the sulphur free would never have know that

on another note Nygiant your groot project is coming along really nicely man will defo be following that

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back