Just curious, is it no longer against the COC to discuss religion and politics?

Yeah, I agree.

I am shocked that a few people are still here... especially after that thread back in November (man, there was some hatred).

I think you try and Ive never had an issue with you but both of my infractions came from the same mod without any 'notice' as mentioned by you in your post. I see that same mod giving repeated 'notices' on a similar thread but then nothing happens and apparently no 'infractions' are given either. So, whether you want to call that arbitrary I dont know but there does sometimes seem to be on this board sometimes a less then equal application of the CoC. Your argument about the mods not reading every post doesnt hold up in this situation when a mod not only reads the post but chimes in several times. In teh case of my threads there was no such appearance or chiming in by the SAME MOD in question only a pm notifying me of the infraction.
This is the issue I have. What REALLY annoyed me in my case is we were all starting to play nice and me and another member had already apologized to each other IN THE THREAD and were reaching an amicable understanding and THEN the infraction came. It was handled poorly IMHO and more to the point was handled by this mod DIFFERENTLY then he has acted on other similar threads. Equal application of the rules is what people are talking about here.

Okay, there seems to be some misunderstanding. An infraction is the same thing as a warning. This is just how the software works. Sometimes there's a check box for "warning" and sometimes there isn't. Call it a warning, infraction, temp ban, dingleberry--whatever. Get 4 of them and you're out.

This is how the warning system works (dumbed down from the CoC version--check it out, it's an incredible read):

If at any point you see a post that deserves a warning, breaks the rules, or simply should be read by a mod, hit the report button ->
report.gif
<- that's located in every post. Otherwise, contrary to popular belief, we don't actually read every single post written on the RPF.

Everyone is held to the same standard, so while sometimes it looks arbitrary in public, as far as I'm concerned we're as fair as humanly possible. Being honorable is as important to me as taking my next breath. Being fair is being honorable. We don't pick and choose, but evaluate every incident by its own merits relative to all issues.

There are lots of PMs, warnings, help, more help, and general activity behind the scenes that you're not seeing. The point is you guys are here to enjoy props, not check out who just got a warning and what the latest thread to be nuked is.

I'm not going to publicly out anyone for how many warnings they have and what they were for, but if you want clarification, PM me.

Now dont get me wrong, I love the RPF but until everyone adopts my world view it will always be less then perfect (we need a tongue in cheek emoticon)

I treat the Internet like I do television if I don't like what I see I clik to somewhere else. I know a few of the folks here in person but that was from back when it was smaller and a tighter knit group than what they are now.

I posted a funny article about a kids toy that talks and got an Infraction point for it being religious!!

I thought I was back in Salem!! :lol

FB

I say you drop the warnings and start banning people.
not a bad idea... hehe. :)

Is this where we talk about the inauguration?
:lol We need a "slap face" emoticon. ;)

...both of my infractions came from the same mod without any 'notice' as mentioned by you in your post.
I'm making things confusing--sorry. When someone hits the report button, every mod is notified. The first one to respond deals with it. So when a mod gives a warning, every mod would have done the same. Because it happened to be from the same mod doesn't mean there is a personal agenda. Let me try to clarify this again:

"Warning" is the same thing as "Infraction" and is the same as a "Notice" if it's your first one.

1st: Warning = Infraction = Notice

Regardless of what it's called, if it's your first, it's a Notice. Lets say you've gotten a warning before. Then you get an infraction later. This simply means you have received 2 moderation actions. That means you're on step 2, which is the "Warning" step. Maybe we should change the language to minimize confusion...

PM me for suggestions on the 4 step names. We can do it by size:
mouse -> horse -> elephant -> whale
or Batman action:
nudge -> slap -> punch -> Chuck Norris roundhouse
or ordinance:
RPG -> Tomahawk -> MOAB -> Nuclear ICBM
or movie:
Phantom Menace -> RotJ -> ESB -> ANH

...you get the point. It doesn't matter what we call it, they're all incremental steps. Disregard semantics for now (seriously accepting renaming suggestions via PM, however).

When a mod posts to keep a thread on topic, that is not a "Notice" in regards to a first step--that's just a courtesy post. But if someone disregards the caution, they're getting a warning/infraction. Just because you don't see a mod post doesn't mean nothing happened. Sometimes I'll close a thread and say "warnings sent" but most of the time it's done behind the scenes. There is no favoritism or vendetta since all mods see when a warning/infraction is given. It's a check and balance. There is no conspiracy.

Again, if you see a less than equal application of the CoC, bring it up with a mod. Sometimes there are so many issues happening at once--3 bad sellers, 2 bad buyers, 500+ emails asking to register, 5 trolls, 640 Stormtrooper arguments, 1,523 Vader arguments, 9 database failures, 4 scripting errors, 1 missing eye--that we can't keep track of every issue. If you think we missed something, let us know. If you think we applied rules unequally, let us know. We're here to help, not to give out warnings. If, unfortunately, we have to give out warnings, then we do.

Or more people could simply use the 'ignore' feature.
I treat the Internet like I do television if I don't like what I see I clik to somewhere else.
Wha-What? I don't understand this... "self control" idea. It is strange and unfamiliar. Lies! LIES! ;)

Let me also make this clear: This thread is only here because there is confusion regarding the rules and how they're implemented, and I believe it's important that everyone understands the process. However, the rules are not up for discussion.

FB, the doll said, "islam is the light" and started a whole religious and political debate. To top that off, it wasn't funny. :lol

People "thought" that was what the toy said but it actually didn't. It was funny to see how far people reach to make something out of nothing. It did kind of sound similar though. :confused
I guess you have to look at the intent of the post when giving out infractions. I never in a million years thought it was political. I posted because of the funny video.

On top of that, I bought 5 of the toys to give to the Mods for Christmas but my kids liked them so much that I had to keep them.

Sorry Guys! :lol

FB

How longs a expired infraction stay on my record?
Currently, they are permanent. But if you haven't gotten one for a year or so, I wouldn't worry about it.

On top of that, I bought 5 of the toys to give to the Mods for Christmas but my kids liked them so much that I had to keep them.
NOoOoOooo!!! I want my Little Mommy Real Loving Baby Cuddle and Coo! :lol

Franz, it was never that it was funny or about a doll--it was about the implications of a religious phrase (imagined or not) shocking people, deserved or not. That sparked flaming from "we should be sensitive to other religions" people and "shut your PC hole" people, which stoked the fires of liberals vs. conservatives, and so on and so on.

We (used to) have too many people who would post "harmless" articles and abandon them, even though they consistently degenerated into troll pits. So, asking thread starters to take responsibility for their content isn't demanding too much. This is especially true if, for members like you in good standing, these infractions/warnings/whatever don't accumulate.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back