Jurassic Park: Robert Muldoon's Hat

Panzer

Hello RPF, so I've been on the hunt for the perfect Robert Muldoon hat for some time now, just waiting to snatch up the perfect replica or match. Sadly though all I've come across are a few "good enoughs" or "kinda close". Soon enough I plan to take on the whole costume (of which I'll post my progress here) but for now my focus is on finding the right hat. No the hat is an important part of any main character in Jurassic Park as many of the main characters of the film are seen wearing distinguishable hats. Muldoon's hat was almost a favorite and when I was younger I owned one of those close enoughs. Now it's time to do it right and get a hat that is a match. Anyways I was hoping to enlist the keen eyes of this forum to help me find a good match seeing as one thread about Alan Grant's hat was most successful.

gF7euh.jpg

I've gone and assembled a fair collection of images that should give us a great idea in what to look for in the hat.

Robert Muldoon Hat Jurassic Park - Imgur

So some distinguishing characteristics:
Light Beige color (darker then his khaki shirt and pants)
A snap on each side
4 grommets at the top
Same color ribbon (band?)
No chin strap
Material? (Cotton twill?)

So the closest thing I have managed to find is here
It's cose but has a few problems being:
chinstrap (easily rectified)
Missing snap
Missing grommets (?)
color

Aside from that it may be what I go with unless you folks can help me spot something better. Thanks for looking and don't forget:
"They should be destroyed!"

Indeed, the hunt is on. I've already gone through many of google's results for bus hats and such, but I'm hoping someone may have a better lead.

It looks like an Akubra you might want to check there.

I have a vintage Akubra Aussie slouch hat I got in the early 80's and you can't find them anymore.

Either way it looks like a take off on a Aussie slouch

Just did a quick look around and Akubra does offer the Slouch now they did'nt for awhile.

Muldoons is definatley a slouch after looking at your pics you just have to find the right manufacturer as i don't thin it is an Akubra.

I have had my Akubra since 1981 and that hat has been worn in torrential downpours, 120 degree heat on the firing range at Nellis, and snow and it stll is going strong.

:lol That hat is friggin bomb-proof! :lol

:lol Man that Tilley is horrible, no offense :lol

The dorfman is a little better version of the slouch

No offense taken. It's an ugly hat, it's just the first one I saw that had both grommets and snaps. If the grommets were smaller it would be less egregious.

The only slouch I would ever want is the fur felt akubra that David Morgan sells. I have a couple of akubras and I've beat the snot out of them, great hats.

Keep those eyes feeled folks I'm sure we'll find it. I got a hat that might be a good base to work off of. Grommets, snaps and ribbon have t be added though. What do you guys think?
Slouch hat

As for brim length what does it look like to you?

If you are going for screen accuracy I'd avoid that wool felt slouch. Muldoons hat is definitely sewn cotton and not blocked felt. That cheapie hat on the JP forum is the closest yet, you may be able to starch it to make it stiffer and hold a bash. Or maybe make a really dilute solution of shellac and paint the inside of the crown to make it stronger. Regardless I'll keep looking.

As for the brim... It's tough to tell as screengrabs can be misleading in terms of dimensions. I think maybe 2.75 or 3 inches.

If you are going for screen accuracy I'd avoid that wool felt slouch. Muldoons hat is definitely sewn cotton and not blocked felt. That cheapie hat on the JP forum is the closest yet, you may be able to starch it to make it stiffer and hold a bash. Or maybe make a really dilute solution of shellac and paint the inside of the crown to make it stronger. Regardless I'll keep looking.

As for the brim... It's tough to tell as screengrabs can be misleading in terms of dimensions. I think maybe 2.75 or 3 inches.

Keep those eyes feeled folks I'm sure we'll find it. I got a hat that might be a good base to work off of. Grommets, snaps and ribbon have t be added though. What do you guys think?
Slouch hat

As for brim length what does it look like to you?

This is what you seek, but it seems a little cheap. Good for in a display case, not so much to wear
Muldoon Screen Accurate Hat - Jurassic Park Legacy Forums
hope this info helps
Jack

are yal sure this is a slouch? it looks to me a lot more like an australian bush hat

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back