Jurassic Park Grant's Raptor Claw

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kylash, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know there are alot of Raptor claw replicas out there, but ive never seen anyone offering or having Grant's 6 inch claw, and since i was in 3-4th grade thats the one ive always wanted, so I've started sculpting one, hoping to finish soon. Ive got this reference of a PIH auction and another original that was on ebay years ago and a few screencaps. Just thought Id share in case theres anyone else out there like me :p Hopefully all of the small cracks and details will come out on camera once its painted and weathered.

http://www.raynecreations.com/images/e1_1.bmp

http://www.raynecreations.com/images/PIHauction.bmp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Looking good bro, now paint that sucka up :)

3. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I've always wanted to get a nice replica similar to the one used in the show. I already have a casting of the Icons version but I'd rather have something that's more true to the show.

4. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bro, you know the Icons claw was pulled from one of the animatronic raptors, right?.

I know it's a different claw than what we're talking about but it is from the film just the same.

5. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:$

Didn't say I didn't like it... :angel What I meant was, true to the one that Grant shows.

6. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Liking it a LOT....I am shocked someone hasn't done these before.

7. Kylash

As was I, lol. Ok Ive got it painted up and did some more details in the cracking and scratching grooves detail and weathered it up, Ill get some pics and post em later this afternoon :)

8. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Actually, PHArchivist has done one

9. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

This is true...

After having lost the auction (and holding the original in my hands), I figured I'd just make my own.

I finished it over a year ago, and wanted to pop out quick and cheap ($10 or so) copies, but I totally suck at creating molds, and never saw the project through to the molding/casting point.

I like the sound of the cracking and scratching grooves detail in Kylash's. I'm not a master sculptor, and finished mine with a smooth surface. I just figured I'd get the right look via a detailed paint job.

10. Kylash

Id like to see yours if youve got any pics :) But yeah, i noticed that first shot in the movie of the diggers excavation scene is this prop and it has lots of little detail, as it should being a fossil. Hopefully theyll come out good in molding.

11. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

12. Kylash

sweet thanks. I may alter the finished item after seeing those a little, its already painted and mostly done but there are a few more details seen in those shots. Thanks.

13. Kylash

Ok got some pics....i hate my camera, half the detail doesnt come out in this, i can never focus up close with this thing. Here's the best i cna do until i get it out in the sunlight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Now thats what I'm talking about... great work :thumbsup

Also wanted to say that I got the Wheems kit, and its great... Can't wait to build it up... Thanks Again

Rob

15. SG Merc

SG Merc Well-Known Member

Looks excellent as you work always does.

16. PHArchivist

Per request, here's mine... Interesting to see slightly (but notably) different interpretations of the claw.

Very nice work on yours.

17. Kylash

wow, theyre almost identical, lol Vey nice, thanksfor sharing :)

18. Kylash

couple more pics...trying to capture the details but eh...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Kylash

here we go...took it outside and got some nice pics finally :D It still doesnt really show the paint weathering ive done, but you can at least see the surface detail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Solo Nomo

Solo Nomo New Member

Very nice work, it looks very much like something that could've be found in a dig site.

21. PHArchivist

Nice pics.