Jurassic Park Explorer

Sorry for the crappy pics, the seats i remember doing with a toothpick dipped in silver paint, each little dot one by one.
0614122055a_192144.jpg

0614122057a_179374.jpg

0614122102a_75093.jpg

Did you see the British Top Gear with Jeff Goldbloom? They were all, what do you drive? And he explained he drove a Mercedes but didnt know what it was called because he got a free one due to JP3.

Say what you will about the film, that's one cool model. Is it also 1/20 scale?

Looks really good, your paint work looks spot-on. Don't scrap it's dome for the Explorer, it's a great model and will look naked without. :)

Yeah on further review i'm not touching the mercedes! It's pretty cool. So it's another crappy pic but here's a teaser, just painted it tonight. Not as much touch up needed this time. Still a lot of work to go untill paint is done. I'm letting it dry for a while before i pull the masks on the roof, which i'm sure will need brush touched up. I really should have primed the domed roof or painted it green. It's not horrible but it is a lighter color. We will see how it looks i might leave it or respray it. Hate to do that since the shine is amazing.
0615122108a_80936.jpg

Been Watching your build Pelco looks real good. So do you got a Rex that's scale to it to menacingly look like its going to crush it yet ?. Just curios if you were gonna go diorama or just have the piece sit by itself.

Well this is what i have now. It was made at the same time as the lost world car, and kinda made to that scale. Originally i had ferns, fences and raptors. Not sure if i'll do anything with it now probably not. Don't know if there are any 1:20 scale T-Rex kits out there. would be cool though.
DSCN0829.jpg

Well this is what i have now. It was made at the same time as the lost world car, and kinda made to that scale. Originally i had ferns, fences and raptors. Not sure if i'll do anything with it now probably not. Don't know if there are any 1:20 scale T-Rex kits out there. would be cool though.

Hey Pelco, nice work on the JP cars.
I have the Merc model and I believe it's 1:24 or 1:25 scale.
Also, in the same set there is a T-Rex model, a Raptor model and the Hunters Humvee model. They are all supposed to be the same scale but the raptors look a little large to me. The T-Rex however looks the right size and would be perfect for your diorama.

jurassic-rex-model.jpg

Red on the car is just testors dark red, if you're referring to the sign i'm not sure, been a long time. I think the horizon kit is 1/20 scale. Anybody ever buy recast vinyl kits? Finding an original reasonably priced would be tough.
Jurassic_Park_Horizon_T_rex_2_by_yankeetrex.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the JP toys were very well detailed and I recall a large T Rex that may not be as posed as the kit but perhaps in scale with your explorer.

Don't buy the recast Rex. Buy an original Horizon it will pay out.
There are always some on Ebay. For what you get those are all reasonable priced. Remeber this is an 19 years old item.

Yeah i figured a recast would probably be poor fitting and low detail. I have a promo sheet for the horizon models, the rex is actually 1/16 scale so it's huge. The lost world kit would be too small at 1/25 but might be a better fit, plus $200 for a horizon kit is crazy. I like the fact it's in an action pose too instead of just standing there. Here's some good pics of the paint so far. The small green parts of the roof need touched up as expected. Once it's touched up and the window trim is painted i think it will look perfect. Dunno about respraying the dome, after i detail it with lenses on the lights and paint what needs painted it should be ok.
DSCN08331.jpg

DSCN08371.jpg

Wheels, tires and undercarrige done. Used krylon fusion camo black and tan for weathering with steel and aluminum accents and watered down acrylic wash to show detail. also painted the white letters on the tires. Came out nice for a snap kit, although getting the converted wheels on the frame was a real pain.
DSCN0839.jpg

So i'm at a point where i need to figure out the interior. This is what i've got with the dashboard. The 92 dash is half correct, the drivers side needs to mirror the passenger side. Only problem is that it's too wide and the door panels will have to be hacked up to make it fit. Also the curve of the windshield is different and it will have to be shaped to conform. Not sure what to do with it except just start cutting what i don't need off and go from there. I also have a decal sheet in the making, did a few test runs. Thanks to those who posted these images so I didn't have to make them myself. Also did a tiny bit on the front end of the body, I finally got some bottled green paint so i can continue.
DSCN0846.jpg

dashboard1.jpg

dashboard2.jpg

DSCN0842.jpg

DSCN0844.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back