Jurassic Park Explorer

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by pelco, May 19, 2012.

1. pelco

pelco Active Member

So I've been wanting to make an accurate jurassic park explorer for so long ever since the movie came out actually! Recently I sold my unbuilt lindberg 1/20 scale on kit on ebay and was having a little bit of remorse over it although i'd never put it together because of it's many flaws. So, I just happen to have the same kit in a street version that i built back in the day, and i plan on using the front clip to graft onto a 2nd gen explorer snap kit that is a 4 door. The biggest challenge will be making the clear roof and getting decals for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm sure you could thermoform some clear plastic to make the roof. I always wanted an accurate one myself, but to go with the rest of the 1/24 movie cars.

I came across this in my research
    1992 Jurassic Park Ford Explorer 1/24 Scale*Model

It's an old build and not the cleanest model in it's current state but you can tell there is a lot of love and accuracy there.

3. pelco

pelco Active Member

Yeah that one based on a diecast was one way i was thinking about going but decided not to just because of the roof. His car has hand painted decals which are ok for the top shelf but not so good up close. I'm kinda considering painting all the windows black to cheat on the roof but I really hate to go that way, it'll be last resort if i can't come up with anything.
    This is hopefully going to work for the body and chassis from the doors back. Might have to use the liftgate off the 92 too. Definately need the wheels. Gonna be hard to find other stuff that will work on a 1/20 scale.
    [​IMG]

4. TheRealMcFly

It is an oddball scale, and until you posted I had no idea it existed. I'm sure you could find larger versions of the JP artwork online and have your own decals printed.

The model manufacturers obviously seized the opportunity to rebox existing kits for popular movies, especially in the case of these fords. They were probably all like, we don't have the four door, but we could paint this coupe. AMTs SHO Taurus became the robocop police car, a huge upgrade from the film cars.

One thing that scares me away from this one is the paint job. I'll prob chicken out and paint a Jeep.

Doesn't your completed model already have the correct wheels?

5. pelco

pelco Active Member

Funny this was laying next to my robocop sho taurus :cool those wheels are correct and i'll have to use them although the tires are not the right brand, but that's getting really picky LOL
    [​IMG]
    should be a cool display when i'm done

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  6. pelco

pelco Active Member

This 4 door will work out perfectly, the hood is a direct fit after the hinges are removed. I'm trying to decide how much of the front end i'm going to cut off and swap to make it look right. The back end should work out well. The taillights are slighly different but shouldn't even be seen after the brush guards are put on. This last pic is a good reference for the all the custom stuff i'll have to make. It's nice that it has runninng boards, this does not have an engine though and the interior might be different. Not sure i might be able to salvage the old dashboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cpltony

cpltony Sr Member

I'm looking at the official model kit photo and am just amazed at how inaccurate it is.

Looking forward to the progress photos!!

8. pelco

pelco Active Member

I got the 92 hood, grill and bumpers spliced in although the grill is not quite the right width. Looks ok though, will look better especially after paint and the brush guard is attached. Did a paint test on the old 2 door. Wasn't completely sold on the green untill i did a quick photoshop of the red. Looks good. I like the yellow but i don't like how the tamiya paint pulls from the edges like it does.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  9. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Neat. Edges are a bit funky though.

10. pelco

pelco Active Member

Only a photoshop. I tested the red today using a vinyl mask i cut with an xacto. Came out really nice although that tamiya paint has got to go, it reacted funny to the vinyl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  11. pelco

pelco Active Member

So where's the best place to get thermoform plastic sheets? Especially clear plastic, without having to buy a ton at once? I'm kinda at a standstill body wise until i figure it out.

12. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You could make a buck yourself out of bondo and then heat some plastic in the oven, press down on the buck and heat form it yourself.

13. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

To tell you the truth - clear packaging plastic works awesome. I used some from a drill set I believe it was, and just used my heat gun and hand formed it over the buck...or headlight lense as it were, for my Batwing.

Have a look for something you need that might be packaged in clear. It might do wonders. Evergreen clear crazes badly...I'd steer clear of that.

14. pelco

pelco Active Member

I already got some evergreen sat, that's ok though i'll use it for front side windows. I'll have to try and find some clear packaging then. It doesn't really need to be styrene. I have something grocery store related in mind for the back portion of the roof:love

15. pelco

pelco Active Member

[​IMG]
    Not sure if i like the plastic tubing, might go metal so i can shape it better

16. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Ooooh BABY! Well done!

I love when a plan comes together, also digging that artwork. Want. You should do some and make prints of it.

17. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

I like the brush guard was this made of evergreen tube? I think this is looking really nice and really look forward to seeing more progress. Will really be great stand alone or in a diorama.

18. TheRealMcFly

The body recombination and the test painting are looking really good.

The front guard looks accurate and matches that render but to my eye it seems a little thick.

Very much looking forward to more keep it up

19. pelco

pelco Active Member

Thanks for the comments. As of right now i'm keeping the brush guard the way it is although i see it is a little thick. I might remake the whole thing later on. If i do i'm using styrene rod with wire in it. Got half of the roof almost done, just need to make the lights, and cut the front roof and then i'll be ready for paint. To shape the roof, although it sounds crazy, I used a deodorant container to mold plaster, which i used to shape the plastic sheet on. Kinda worked kinda didn't. It eventually came out alright though. Probably used the wrong method of molding, which helps me learn what to do and what not to do now with the clear section left to do.
    [​IMG]

20. DevilDogCota

DevilDogCota Active Member

Cool project. Keep up the good work.

21. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

This is coming along very well!

22. pelco

pelco Active Member

23. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

This is taking shape. Keep up the good work!

Kenny

24. DevilDogCota

Coming along nicely. Keep it up.

Andrew

25. pelco

pelco Active Member

Thanks. :cool Does anybody on here make quality model decals or know someone who does? I know they've got the decal paper at the hobby shop but i want them to look professional. Could probably do them all on white except for the side numbers which really need to be on clear sheets.

26. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

* inspiring!! Obviously you've spared no expense!!

27. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

I'm looking forward to what you do with the roof. I'm thinking of doing a CNC machined piece of clear plastic for mine if it can be thin enough.

28. pelco

pelco Active Member

I have a lost world mercedes kit i put together somewhere, i was thinking about stealing the roof off it if it will work. Hate to do that though. It's probably too small since it's 1/24 or 1/25

29. pelco

pelco Active Member

I thought i might have gone too far up the body with the yellow but i think i'm ok. It'll look better when i paint the running boards black and paint the red stripes. Hard to do with rattle cans:unsure
    [​IMG]

30. DevilDogCota

I think the yellow is fine. Looks awesome! For the red look for paint pens. WalMart, and Michaels has a good selection. I prefer Craft Smart Paint Pen it can right on Metal, Wood, Plastic, Glass, Etc. Very easy to clean up if a mistake happens.

31. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

[​IMG]

Looks about right to me.

32. pelco

pelco Active Member

I photoshoped the stripes from the real car onto my model so far, and i'm really amazed on the roof on how it lines up almost exactly. This will be a good painting aid for me to determine location and size.
    [​IMG]

33. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

For your clear roof part you could just use a piece of balsa carve and sand to shape fill it with some filler and prime it to get it smooth and use a thin sheet of clear styrene to vac form over it.

34. pelco

pelco Active Member

I painted the hood stripes and added lights. Stripes look good but there is some slight seepage in the grooves on the hood which i will have to touch up to fix. I used vinyl as a mask and it just wanted to stretch back instead of conform. It'll be ok though i'm not worried about it.
    [​IMG]

35. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Nice.

What kit are the fog lights from? (blue ones)

36. pelco

pelco Active Member

Fixed. Not a real decal btw. The blue lights came off a truck rollbar, not sure what though. Just a bunch of old crap in a box LOL
    [​IMG]

37. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Don't you be teasing! I see that Mercedes. :)

38. TheRealMcFly

I woudln't sweat the touch ups. You've acheived an amazing paint job, especially with rattle cans.

I like the red you're using, its appears darker, like the movie cars. Do you think they started with a maroon explorer and left the original color on the body?

39. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From what I have seen in the Making Of books, the Explorers they used where originally all white.

40. pelco

pelco Active Member

Yeah i'll have to post a pic of the Mercedes too. I built that when it was new, still looks pretty good for it's age, and for how old i was when i made it. Still have the box as well. The touch up looks really good now, just one little spot that bothers me but it's not terrible. I have the masks cut for the sides and rear, just have to get to it. Shouldn't have too much trouble with it but i need to be more careful around the jams. Maybe i should use a little heat to make the vinyl conform better, just afraid of it getting too sticky. I've seen in the book that the truck used in the tree scene was white, but that was also gutted to lose weight, not one used for driving around.

41. pelco

pelco Active Member

Sorry for the crappy pics, the seats i remember doing with a toothpick dipped in silver paint, each little dot one by one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. TheRealMcFly

Did you see the British Top Gear with Jeff Goldbloom? They were all, what do you drive? And he explained he drove a Mercedes but didnt know what it was called because he got a free one due to JP3.

Say what you will about the film, that's one cool model. Is it also 1/20 scale?

43. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Looks really good, your paint work looks spot-on. Don't scrap it's dome for the Explorer, it's a great model and will look naked without. :)

44. pelco

pelco Active Member

Yeah on further review i'm not touching the mercedes! It's pretty cool. So it's another crappy pic but here's a teaser, just painted it tonight. Not as much touch up needed this time. Still a lot of work to go untill paint is done. I'm letting it dry for a while before i pull the masks on the roof, which i'm sure will need brush touched up. I really should have primed the domed roof or painted it green. It's not horrible but it is a lighter color. We will see how it looks i might leave it or respray it. Hate to do that since the shine is amazing.
    [​IMG]

45. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

Been Watching your build Pelco looks real good. So do you got a Rex that's scale to it to menacingly look like its going to crush it yet ?. Just curios if you were gonna go diorama or just have the piece sit by itself.

46. pelco

pelco Active Member

Well this is what i have now. It was made at the same time as the lost world car, and kinda made to that scale. Originally i had ferns, fences and raptors. Not sure if i'll do anything with it now probably not. Don't know if there are any 1:20 scale T-Rex kits out there. would be cool though.
    [​IMG]

47. BTTFSpencer

BTTFSpencer Sr Member

Awesome! What colour red did you use?

48. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Member

Hey Pelco, nice work on the JP cars.
    I have the Merc model and I believe it's 1:24 or 1:25 scale.
    Also, in the same set there is a T-Rex model, a Raptor model and the Hunters Humvee model. They are all supposed to be the same scale but the raptors look a little large to me. The T-Rex however looks the right size and would be perfect for your diorama.

[​IMG]

49. pelco

pelco Active Member

Red on the car is just testors dark red, if you're referring to the sign i'm not sure, been a long time. I think the horizon kit is 1/20 scale. Anybody ever buy recast vinyl kits? Finding an original reasonably priced would be tough.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  50. TheRealMcFly

Some of the JP toys were very well detailed and I recall a large T Rex that may not be as posed as the kit but perhaps in scale with your explorer.