Jurassic Park Cane

mrdaniel

I am going to try my hand at replicating the John Hammond's cane from Jurassic Park. This is my first build so I hope I am picking something that will be fun, easy and will teach me for future projects. Does anyone know where I should start with this? Also, how would you go about building this, materials, etc?

Thanks!

First of all, welcome to the RPF :).

You sure chose a mighty difficult one to start off with as a first project !

Not many people have tried this, but I'm sure others (ahem, paging Rylo) will chime in to give you graphic details of the naughty words this replica can cause you to utter during its manufacturing.

Ha yeah, it seemed simple but after looking into it more it might be a little difficult with casting and materials. Any thought on an easier project? Something that teaches me the basics but isn't too complex

i like this idéa :) i've only just joind the forums myself, but i've been building props and other stuff all my life, som i think i might actually take a crack at this, i'll probably start a new thread with my progress.
now, RESEARCH :D

I'm thinking about starting the cane this weekend. Going to go to the hobby store and pick up a bunch of clay and a wooden dowel. Going to try and sculpt the the in clay then cast it in silicone or something else then make a resin mold out of it. Haven't started thinking about the amber with the bug on top. One at time...

If you are sculpting the vertebrae pieces by hand you are going to have a difficult time with symmetry.

I'd say find someone that has a lathe and lathe a wooden rod down to the basic shape. Then you can go back and sand it to add some natural uneveness.

If you don't know anyone with a lathe, you could find a local carpentry shop and see if they would be willing to do it for you for a cost.

This also eliminates the molding step, saving you time and money.

I thought about a lathe, but seeing this is a first project and I've never used a lathe I'll probably mess it up. That is where the clay comes into play. I'll pack the clay around the dowel and sculpt it as best I can. Since it is my first shop I don't think I want a carpentry shop to do the majority of the work, but thanks for the advice! I think if I get the vertebra sculpted right in clay I can do a silicone cast of it, then pour in resin? Does that sound like it'd work?

If this does get too complicated can anyone think of another good first project?

I think if I get the vertebra sculpted right in clay I can do a silicone cast of it, then pour in resin? Does that sound like it'd work?

It'll work as long as your clay and silicone are compatible. For example, Smooth-On Rebound 25 (a platinum silicone) cannot be used with clays containing sulfur.

Just know what is in your clay and when it comes time to select a silicone, make sure there are no compatibility issues.

Edit:: Also do not use polyester resin in a silicone mold.

Anyone know how to get in touch with Rylo? I have some questions before the build. Or can anyone help. Need some info on materials, dimensions, etc. I know the cane is either 33 or 34in, but I don't know the circumference of the cane. Also I am a little curious how to attach the amber egg to the cane. Any help?

Anyone know how to get in touch with Rylo? I have some questions before the build. Or can anyone help. Need some info on materials, dimensions, etc. I know the cane is either 33 or 34in, but I don't know the circumference of the cane. Also I am a little curious how to attach the amber egg to the cane. Any help?

BTW, you're confusing the heck out of me Side FX :lol Change it back man, you can't mess with an icon legend !

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back