Suggestion Junkyard is better than Marketplace. (implemented)

ob1al

Sr Member
I loved the old term 'junkyard'. Superbly ambiguos.

'Marketplace' seems so formal and concise.

As a site are we moving away from the old prop 'underground' ethos?

Why the change?

I already read those threads Art.

The Junkyard - This is a hold over from our Star Wars-centric past and with the Star Wars theme going away we felt it was time for this outdated name to go away as well. With that in mind, we have changed the Junkayrd to the Marketplace. You are still going to find dozens of references to it in our FAQs and we are going to work on getting those out over the course of the next few weeks, but for all practical purposes, the name "the Junkyard" is no more. Non-members still can't see the Marketplace and it is still not being indexed by Google. Nothing has changed but the name.

But I'm still wondering, is it progress for progress sake?

Sorry if I'm missing the point, but I do love this place and am interested. It's just to move away from being SW centric, primarily?

[snip]It's just to move away from being SW centric, primarily?
Yes, and also, as Art mentioned in the other thread...

I think I have beat our reasoning to death on the Markeplace change, but one final note is that aside from the fact that we were moving away from a franchise specific name is that it seemed a bit insulting to refer to the amazing works of art that our members produce as "junk."

Al, I was going to merge this with the other thread as it directly relates to the recent set of changes, but now that I see that you started this after reading the other thread, I'm guessing that you did this to specifically address this single issue, correct?

I've never once since I've been here equated the JY with Star Wars. It is however, (for me) synonymous with the RPF.

Al, I was going to merge this with the other thread as it directly relates to the recent set of changes, but now that I see that you started this after reading the other thread, I'm guessing that you did this to specifically address this single issue, correct?

I believe he separated this issue from the rest because it feels like the name "marketplace" is the biggest complaint other than the width......

I do prefer junkyard over the marketplace, but I can see the reasoning why it was changed.

It is surprising the biggest complaint is over a name :lol

if members really dont like the name "marketplace", would they prefer the name "(the) rpf store" or something similar in nature

Yes Montagar, that's all I wanted to address - just the specific issue of the name change.

It's a bit like seeing your favourite pub or restaurant rebranded...just wanted to delve a little depper into that change, that's all.

I agree with the previous poster, the JY was a calling card of the RPF. I loved the name and never thought it inferred to members work as 'junk'. It was just a fun name.

But I think I get it now, thanks for the clarification.

Al

The name 'Junkyard' no more suggested the items therein were junk than the name 'Flea Market' suggests that fleas are for sale.

I find it fascinating that so many feel the Marketplace plays such an important role here at the RPF and that the name also holds so much sentimental value. Personally, I tend to consider the Marketplace as an ancillary forum and not a forum that defines the site in the same way the props or costumes forums do. My view of the RPF is first and foremost as an information resource, not a store. The site could live without the marketplace, but it couldn't live without the the prop forum. Not that this has a lot to do with anything, but it is just interesting to see how different people tend to view different things.

I liked "The Junkyard" because it had personality. Maybe that's become a bad thing, or at least a thing that should be left to other smaller forums. Keeping the site as generic and personality-free as possible will allow the RPF to reach the broadest possible audience.

I know it's just a name. I'm not particularly concerned about the name of the forum, and really don't even notice it already. That more general trend, though, is going to take some getting used to.

Last edited:
I suggest it vital to remember that it is the opinions of the members, rather than the opinions of the administration, that must hold sway. The site has absolutely no value outside of the contributions made by its members. To think otherwise is an all-too-common hubris. Bear in mind, "pride goeth before the fall."

the first thing i noticed when i logged in today was marketplace and i immediately thought something had happened where "Ebay or Amazon" was not working with the RPF and i got a bad vibe from it. I love the site, but "junkyard" just has a catchy ring to it.

You'd go to a junkyard to find things to fix things, or make things.

A Marketplace is entirely consumer based.

Are we all about licensed, slick prop replicas or are we a community of artisans?

I suggest it vital to remember that it is the opinions of the members, rather than the opinions of the administration, that must hold sway. The site has absolutely no value outside of the contributions made by its members. To think otherwise is an all-too-common hubris. Bear in mind, "pride goeth before the fall."

:confused?????????

I liked "The Junkyard" because it had personality. Maybe that's become a bad thing, or at least a thing that should be left to other smaller forums. Keeping the site as generic and personality-free as possible will allow the RPF to reach the broadest possible audience.

I know it's just a name. I'm not particularly concerned about the name of the forum, and really don't even notice it already. That more general trend, though, is going to take some getting used to.

Don't misunderstand. We will never be all things to all people and the idea is NOT to attract every person who ever does a Google search to our doorstep. We are not looking to wipe all 'personality' from the site, but instead are refining the look of the site to more appropriately match the personality we see. This used to be a site that was overwhelmingly Star Wars with a little of everything else sprinkled in. While there are still a lot of people who are passionate about Star Wars here, it is no longer a Star Wars centric site. The update to the look and names is simply a move away from the Star Wars centric approach to a more generic and balanced approach.

Again, in the long-term scheme of things, we do see the RPF as the grandaddy of general prop sites, but the RPF will never take the place of or be able to handle certain discussions that are found at niche sites that focus on a single subject.

I'll be the second to ?????????? We are very aware and interested in the opinions and comments of the members, otherwise, threads like this and the New Look feedback thread wouldn't exist.

Al, I am totally not understanding you here.

The Marketplace IS and has almost always been entirely consumer based.

Now if you wanted to go back to the day of Boba Debt's active projects, that would be a different story, but for years the Marketplace has been the place for runs as well as members just unloading unwanted pieces.

You seem to have some other vision of the Marketplace forum. Please help me understand.

You'd go to a junkyard to find things to fix things, or make things.

A Marketplace is entirely consumer based.

Are we all about licensed, slick prop replicas or are we a community of artisans?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back