Judge Dredd ABC warrior references

Just watched Midsomer Murders, series 20, episode 3, "Drawing Dead."

There is a full size ABC robot in the opening sequence. It has some good footage of the back side, showing the supporting frame. Looks fan made rather than the screen-used ones.

Hopefully someone can score us a few screencaps?

Managed to get a couple of shots. It's only on screen for about two seconds in total and these are as good as I could make them. The first shot is to show the overall size.
So far I haven't been able to find photos of this robot anywhere else on line.

Attachments

• Midsomer ABC 01.png
    Midsomer ABC 01.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 196
  • Midsomer ABC 02.png
    Midsomer ABC 02.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
  • Midsomer ABC 03.png
    Midsomer ABC 03.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
  • Midsomer ABC 04.png
    Midsomer ABC 04.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 212
  • Midsomer ABC 05.png
    Midsomer ABC 05.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 193
Nice that's awesome! So that's Funky Monkey's (?) fan made prop I think. He's a member here and there's a pic somewhere of it somewhere on this thread.

Hey Blax! I'm only 5 months late replying to this hahahahaha...........

I thought I had found his facebook page but can't load it. Looks like his new site is yorkshire props

Small bit of progress on my ABC. I've vac formed one shoulder pad and made the form for the other. Once that's done only the arm pieces to go and then into finishing

I've measured up the model kit for how much Aluminium I am likely to need for the armature. I am planning on a running an Ali 'spine' from the waist right up into the head for stability and then lots of dressing around it. The plan is still to have a sit down and a stand up option

will post pics sometime lol

Thanks as always funboy :) Yep I surprised myself and actually snuck in a bit of work on the shoulder pads tonight. I have built them both and the main chestplate just applying loads of bog to smooth a few things out and then I'll post pics

Finally some WIPS :) Here's the left and right shoulder pads sitting on the chest/back section. Pretty happy with how its looking. I think the head is about the right proportion to the other pieces.

My photo quality has improved somewhat as it's not me taking them :)

Comments and critique always welcome. Next steps are the arms pieces. Ali has been bought and ready for cutting and fitting woot!

abc1.jpg
abc3.jpg
abc4.jpg
abc2.jpg

Absolutely brilliant, Oot! He's going to dominate whatever space he's in!

Didn't know you had the head as well. Good score on that.

Again - brilliant work!

Thanks as always Blax. Yeah I made the head years ago after 'borrowing' the technique you used when you made your MDF one :)

It's nice to making a bit of progress with this. Definitely keen to get the armature built now and then I think it'll start to look like something

Do it funboy! :) I have tons of measurements and reference to share with you when and if you have a go

I think I got pretty close with my sculpt but there were some angles that I couldn't quite reconcile so just took the best guess I could.

My plan is to vac form this head so it's light. I'm going to cast up the eye socket area, the ear pieces and the temple inserts as separate bits then fit them into a two piece vac form of the main head. Something like that anyway

I took loads of pictures at the BFI when the original prop was on display. If I get the time I'll try to upload them.
Late to this post beastmaster but yes please do :)

Small update. I shaped and vac formed the bicep pieces. It's really weird working on this project these days....it'll sit in the back of my mind, then I'll start thinking more seriously about it.....then I'll see a youtube clip about tanks or something and then I'll zip into the workshop and smash out a couple of forms and vac form with very little effort. These only took a couple of hours from start to finish. I didn't go all the way downtown on the finish as I am planning weathering and battle damage.

Oddly enough this was the first time I used new plastic sheet in the former. Everything else has been made using vac forms that have gone wrong on other jobs or projects :)

20211024_131549 (2).jpg

Next step is the forearm pieces and then that will be the last of the major body pieces done. I haven't been able to sort our an aluminium welder yet but I have all the pipes for an armiture. stay tuned.....ok don't stay tuned no idea when the next post will be lol.

Hey Oot! Fantastic work! Love the pre-aged look of the bucks.

Have you checked out the local boat builders up your way? They're all into aluminium welding these days and you might find one who could be useful.

Hey Oot! Fantastic work! Love the pre-aged look of the bucks.

Have you checked out the local boat builders up your way? They're all into aluminium welding these days and you might find one who could be useful.

Thanks Blax. Yep lazy sanding and I overheated the first pull so pickled the surface a bit. yay instant weathering :)

Yeah I've got a couple of guys who have offered to weld an armiture cheers. I just need to do a bit of cutting and measuring so everything's ready to go.

Oh yeah i am totally taking short cuts at this point; the biceps and forearms are generic I'm not making individual pieces to match the model it's alot of shaping to do.

I would buy a replica 1:1 ABC Robot bust (light up eyes) in a heartbeat.

yeah I think I would too! Just kidding I've really enjoyed this project so far. Painting and weathering seem a long way off but I am planning a vac formed head with lights. At one point I wanted to use a Cd tray for the head wiring thing. But I'm not sure I'll get to that. I was thinking it would be cool to sample the voice over as wel......

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back