Jim Carrey's The Mask .......... Need a bit of help from you guys.

Crazybug00

Hey guys I am going to attempt to sculpt and cast a Silicone mask from Jim Carrey's the Mask. However I can't decide whether I want it open like this. image.jpg

Or closed like this.

image.jpg

Thanks guys.

If it's a silicone mask I don't see why you'd sculpt the mouth open. You're not going to get any lip/mouth movement that way, which is generally why people go for silicone as opened to latex for an over the head mask. Unless you're using silicone for the translucency, but that wouldn't really make sense again since the original prosthetics were opaque foam latex.

mau5 : I was thinking of using silicone for durability purposes. I have a lot of experience with latex tearing and thought I might give silicone a try instead. Since this is only my second sculpt I really don't think I can make it so as it will move with a person's face. On the other hand, here's some more progress on the sculpt(photos are really bad)
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out I hate myself...:D .... I was thinking over what mau5 had said and I changed Ito a closed mouth so I could do all the expression myself. It'll be better this way and I sincerely thank mau5 for that. Pics to come....

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice project, I'll be keeping an eye out for how this turns out.

Do you have anything else of the costume? I'd really like to see what you've got. :)

Haha. I will be starting the costume, probably with the tie , which I will probably screenprint. Fingers crossed I'll get it molded this weekend. :)

Life happened and the clay shattered along with my hope. So I have cut my losses and decided to resculpt the entire thing. Pics to come....

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back