Jayne's Boo Denix LeMat conversion

the DOCTOR

Sr Member
Yes, I know, there's been LOTS of them, and it's not a prop I would normally have thought of making for myself, but its a commission for a friend, and I'm not a great one for metal working, turning, milling etc., so I took it on as a challenge.

First job, disassemble to see what to do:
DSC_0596.JPG

Then cut off all the surplus material, done with an angle grinder, and roughly cleaned up with a flap disc, this also allowed me to take measurements for turning up the aluminium parts, the the stock came from Ebay, and I cheated with the domed part by using a 1" machine knob:

DSC_0599.JPG

These are the machined parts, the shroud that goes below the barrels was made from a solid lump of aluminium, and I thought it would be the most time consuming part of the build, but I was wrong:

DSC_0601.JPG

The most complex and time consuming part of the build was the cavalry trigger guard, hand cut and filed out of a 70mm square block of aluminium, shown on the roughly assembled gun before final finishing:

DSC_0600.JPG

And finally all done, painted in matt black, with the grips hand painted and matt lacquered:

DSC_0604.JPG

Other little details include the round knob on the tamper, found in my parts box, and the brass clip for the same.

Taken just under four days in the workshop, really pleased with the way it's come out, I might just have to make one for myself now..!

Nice work, takes me back! At one point an RPF member, pretty sure it was robstyle, did some really nice wooden grips, I have them on mine. Maybe he still has some left?

Just in case someone throws it out there, you can't use real Pietta wood grips without a massive reshaping job on the Denix grip frame area.
The picture below shows the Pietta grips compared to both the frame and laying on top of a Denix plastic grip.

ffp003JPEG.jpg

I was satisfied with a painted faux wood effect, but each builder may of course do whatever satisfies him/ her.

CopyofJayneslematall.jpg

I’ve debated for years about making an accurate cylinder. Boo is actually converted to fire cartridges. There is a scene where he has it broken down and cleaning it. I believe the cartridge conversion cylinder looks a lot like The Man in Black’s LeMat from Westworld

8BB8F570-3234-45BF-9850-44C0E0D1D632.jpeg

The cylinders are different. I haven't looked at Boo closely for a long time now, but unless I remember wrong, the cutouts were perfectly smooth, without the notches ridges in them.

Any tricks to removing the barrel assembly from the frame? It seems to be a pressure fit, but I sure can't seem to separate mine.

EDIT: Never mind. A hefty file and a hammer later, and I got it off.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back